Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 06:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 90 of 102 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, ..., 100, 101, 102 Next
peebee

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun 2014, 04:37    Post_subject: Re: Carolina 1.2 with 3.15 kernel  

battleshooter wrote:
Carolina 1.2 with 3.15 kernel.

Support for Broadcom wifi seems to be missing....no B43 firmware and no wl driver..... Sad

battleshooter

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun 2014, 02:12    Post_subject:  

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. My internet has been down.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Glad to hear the new kernel is working for you, Marv and James C.

yerc1, I was going to suggest you may have mixed up the the Carolina SFSs with the old kernel versions, but as the USB was able to boot on a different laptop I don't know why it couldn't load the zdrv on the Acer.

Ahh, the Broadcom drivers. Specifically, what are the models of your wireless cards peebee and yerc1? I need to read more into the old Carolina posts concerning Braodcom, but I'll work on a fix.

Marv

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun 2014, 19:01    Post_subject: 3.15 kerneled lina 1.2  

battleshooter wrote:
Sorry I haven't responded sooner. My internet has been down.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Glad to hear the new kernel is working for you, Marv and James C.

The more I use this the more I like it. Stable, the 2005 era Pentium M loves it, all of the saluki/lina polish and repo, xfce4.10, and verry verry sparing of resources on these middle aged laptops. I've stripped out acpid, swapped in the xfce4 battery monitor for vattery, and suspend to ram with a launcher calling sleep.sh. A minimalists delight!
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   Just for old times sake...
 Filesize   89.63 KB
 Viewed   1113 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun 2014, 17:56    Post_subject:  

Quote:
... it may have been wiser to leave LibreOffice out and just use the sfs option thus reducing the ISO by near half the size. ...
This distro is NOT that big. LibreOffice brings a great, speedy, and stable office package to the table. (Wish others would do so too.)

The ONLY future addition that I would like to see is the addition of Full SAMBA provided by @01Micko to the OOTB base of this or as a PPM offering where it installs with a functioning Menu>Network>SAMBA Simple Management for easy new user startup (cost to size is more/less 10MB total,but benefit is huge for users who create or use content from here).

The prime idea is that any user who creates content in a home/household, with other devices that can use the content, can do so without need to install anything. The majority (99.999%) of ALL devices ever created for LANs did so with Microsoft/Apple in mind. SAMBA fixes that for Linux users.

This PUP distro is a shining star in what and how it offers user services.

Thanks again and again for what you guys have done since Saluki!

battleshooter

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun 2014, 22:35    Post_subject:  

Finally some free time. Here's the kernel source for 3.15 and the new devx with the new kernel appropriate driver headers.

devx_lina_1.2_kernel-3.15.sfs
MD5:
b3edf2992ac8897fedfd20917afd7ef4
kernel_sources-3.15-saluki.sfs
MD5:7d522508621483e1dcc82089e15df3b8

Well peebee, you appear to be the man/woman to go to for Broadcom drivers. I had a go at compiling the ones found here (version 6.30.223.141), and put wl.ko in a pet, have I done that right? I'm not really sure because I have none of the hardware to test it on.

Because of the changes to the kernel I had to apply this patch and the code change mentioned here, but other than that it appeared to compile cleanly.

battleshooter

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun 2014, 22:38    Post_subject: Re: 3.15 kerneled lina 1.2  

Geoffrey wrote:
It's not dead but dormant, it's been slow for the simple fact it works ok as is, we were going to release a update, but it would of only been updated installed applications

Ahh yep, hard to improve on perfection eh? Wink Either way, I'm glad Carolina hasn't been abandoned.

Marv wrote:
The more I use this the more I like it. Stable, the 2005 era Pentium M loves it, all of the saluki/lina polish and repo, xfce4.10, and verry verry sparing of resources on these middle aged laptops. I've stripped out acpid, swapped in the xfce4 battery monitor for vattery, and suspend to ram with a launcher calling sleep.sh. A minimalists delight!

I've got to say, I like that screenshot Marv, that low CPU usage brings joy to my heart Smile

peebee

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun 2014, 15:29    Post_subject: Broadcom  

battleshooter wrote:
Well peebee, you appear to be the man/woman to go to for Broadcom drivers. I had a go at compiling the ones found here (version 6.30.223.141), and put wl.ko in a pet, have I done that right? I'm not really sure because I have none of the hardware to test it on.

Because of the changes to the kernel I had to apply this patch and the code change mentioned here, but other than that it appeared to compile cleanly.

Hi battleshooter

Your pet worked for me - it creates eth1 rather than wlan0 but that's no biggy - but dmesg does report wl related crashes - see attached.

I tried to compile my usual source....
First I had to copy 2 symlinks from /lib/modules/3.15 to /lib/modules/3.15.0 - so I think there's a bit of problem with your devx directory naming

The compile failed, so I would probably need to apply the later patches for k3.15 to get my usual source to compile. I've compiled successfully for k3.12 previously ... if I get chance I'll investigate further.

Cheers
peebee
dmesg.gz
Description  remove false .gz or open as text
gz

Download 
Filename  dmesg.gz 
Filesize  7.32 KB 
Downloaded  49 Time(s) 

battleshooter

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun 2014, 02:59    Post_subject: Re: Broadcom  

peebee wrote:
I had to copy 2 symlinks from /lib/modules/3.15 to /lib/modules/3.15.0 - so I think there's a bit of problem with your devx directory naming

Ahh yes Embarassed , I forgot about that, I fixed it on my own system manually but clearly need to transfer that fix over.

peebee wrote:
The compile failed, so I would probably need to apply the later patches for k3.15 to get my usual source to compile. I've compiled successfully for k3.12 previously ... if I get chance I'll investigate further.

Yeah, kernels past 3.10 have changed proc functions and past 3.14 and again with 3.15 there seem to be more minor function changes. Like I mentioned before I had to apply this patch and the code change mentioned here.

Looking at dmesg, the only error I can spot concerning wl is

Code:
wl: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel.

I think that can be solved using the license patch I dug up while looking for 3.15 kernel patches.

Thanks for looking at that.

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul 2014, 07:57    Post_subject:  

Updated the repo with a few apps.

SmartDeblur-1.27

copyq-2.3.0

focuswriter-1.5.1
SmartDeblur.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   68.66 KB
 Viewed   760 Time(s)

SmartDeblur.jpg

focuswriter.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   35.97 KB
 Viewed   805 Time(s)

focuswriter.jpg

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul 2014, 21:05    Post_subject: covergloobus-1.7.3  

I tried covergloobus-1.7.3 that was compiled by robwoj44 in Wary, desktop transparency didn't work, so I recompiled in Carolina.

Tested with Clementine.

It can be found in the repo PPM.

" CoverGloobus is a desktop coverart & media controller that can also display lyrics to the currently playing song.

it supports pretty much every music player and has configurable settings for lyric download services.

It can show you the tabs for the song you’re listening to, getting them from the most popular web services "
covergloobus.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   70.55 KB
 Viewed   546 Time(s)

covergloobus.jpg

battleshooter

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2014, 22:58    Post_subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
" CoverGloobus is a desktop coverart & media controller that can also display lyrics to the currently playing song.

Hmmm, that's cool. I've currently got Conky doing that (coverart for Clementine) but I imagine this is much easier.

marmalade

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014, 13:47    Post_subject: user file  

I wonder why it takes to long on a new install to write the /carolina/<savefile> before shutting down? (I think that's what is happening as there is no info displayed while this takes place, and that could be minutes)

Why not write this file earlier in the shutdown process so information could be displayed as to what is happening and how long it might take?
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014, 21:29    Post_subject: Re: user file  

marmalade wrote:
I wonder why it takes to long on a new install to write the /carolina/<savefile> before shutting down? (I think that's what is happening as there is no info displayed while this takes place, and that could be minutes)

Why not write this file earlier in the shutdown process so information could be displayed as to what is happening and how long it might take?

I have noticed that when I used usb flash drives plugged into usb ports on the front of my pc, was quicker in a rear port, usb 2.0/1.1?,
though some flash drives are slow no matter what, but it's fast with a frugal on a ext4 HDD.

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014, 23:16    Post_subject:  

Added to the repo tragtor-0.8.80 python frontend for ffmpeg and Youtube-DLG-0.3.6 python Youtube downloader.
tragtor-0.8.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   33.54 KB
 Viewed   454 Time(s)

tragtor-0.8.jpg

Youtube-DLG-0.3.6.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   41.32 KB
 Viewed   442 Time(s)

Youtube-DLG-0.3.6.jpg

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul 2014, 21:08    Post_subject:  

Updated Whisker menu to version 1.4.0 from git

=====
- Add option to switch position of categories and launchers.
- Add waiting for grabs; allows modifier as shortcut.
- Add padding to username.
- Add single panel row option.
- Add about entry to context menu.
- Load applications immediately.
- Recognize keypad enter as return for searching.
- Set menu window type hint to DIALOG.
- Translation updates: Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Taiwan), Czech, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish.
xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-1.4.0-i486.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-1.4.0-i486.pet 
Filesize  206.84 KB 
Downloaded  50 Time(s) 

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 90 of 102 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, ..., 100, 101, 102 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum