How to stream media from your PC to your HDTV over WiFi

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1 Post by Flash »

There’s actually an open standard for sharing media files across a home network. It’s called the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA).

First, some definitions: The device that sends the stream—such as a PC—is the DLNA server. The device that receives the stream—such as an HDTV or something connected to the TV—is the DLNA renderer (I really hate that term; player or receiver would be much friendlier). Both devices must be on the same network.

You can find DLNA servers for operating systems including Android, iOS, Mac OS X, and Linux. Consumer network-attached storage (NAS) systems almost always contain DLNA server software as well.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

shinobar provided a pet a while back, I use it

it stream to an 'internet' tv, my son's ps3, nokia n900 and the boy's iphone

nice!!

:)

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

@Shinobar's version is here.

Note: I NEVER consider DLNA as open-source because it is provided by vendors to "tap" usage for their purposes in spite of what we are told. It offer NO transfer advantage over other protocols and is placed in "their" devices sold to world's citizens.

But, that comment by me aside, it does work as they advertise and provide.

I have most recently been a follower of Chromecast for its ability to allow me to cast your PC desktop, your PC streaming media, your smartPhone, your smartTablet to the TV as another TV channel. This now replaces the HDMI cable approach for using your TV to view content

I draw attention to a very example of where XBMC is showing us how to do such, here.

Also, thanks @Flash for bringing this kind of technology discussion to Puppyland as more and more and more families are finding this need within the walls of their homes, today.

@StemSee has builtin, OOTB, the very latest XBMC in EmSeeV3, here. Now without installing anything, you just use it!

Enjoy the modern things we can do with old Puppy.