Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 21:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Dialup
56K dial up, very slow
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
leon8200

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun 2014, 19:44    Post subject:  56K dial up, very slow  

I just set up a dial up connection and installed fire fox, I have it working but
the connection speed is very slow, it take's about 10 minute's to load the page and half the time it just fail's, I measured the speed and it's only about 1/10 of the speed my modem run's on XP, is there a way to speed this up?

my modem is a (gateway 2000 56K data fax modem) and my ISP is 56K
Moat

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun 2014, 21:19    Post subject:  

Is your Gateway's modem using the Conexant chipset? If so, then unfortunately (for copyright reasons, I assume) the Conexant chip modem driver(s) included in Puppy are based on the free, "crippled" Linuxant driver - which is purposely limited to about 14k. One could pay for the "un-crippled" Linuxant driver (about $20 IIRC) and then try to get it working, somehow, in Puppy...

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/

I never tried that - instead I bought a little USB dialup modem (for about $20) that does the trick with Linux - pretty much plug-n-play with Puppy...

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=130_TFM-561U

Bob
leon8200

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun 2014, 21:49    Post subject:  

Moat wrote:
Is your Gateway's modem using the Conexant chipset? If so, then unfortunately (for copyright reasons, I assume) the Conexant chip modem driver(s) included in Puppy are based on the free, "crippled" Linuxant driver - which is purposely limited to about 14k. One could pay for the "un-crippled" Linuxant driver (about $20 IIRC) and then try to get it working, somehow, in Puppy...

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/

I never tried that - instead I bought a little USB dialup modem (for about $20) that does the trick with Linux - pretty much plug-n-play with Puppy...

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=130_TFM-561U

Bob

yeah it is conexant, my (unknown device identifier) show's these spec's

chip: conexant systems pci modem enumerator
vendor: gateway
device: gateway data fax modem
chip vendor: conexant systems
chip: pci modem enumerator

I don't know much about linux driver's, but is there anything I can do to get better internet speed with the driver that is already installed?
darry1966

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun 2014, 22:13    Post subject:  

Yeah man this takes me back to the days when I used a dial up connection and yes the "free" driver is limited to 14k. I gave up on win type modems and used an external modem from a junk shop instead which had good speeds.
starhawk

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun 2014, 22:24    Post subject:  

leon8200 wrote:
[...] is there anything I can do to get better internet speed with the driver that is already installed?

To be blunt: no. Conexant themselves made the driver, and they made it horrible on purpose so that you'd still give them money.

Of course, finding a modem that *isn't* Conexant inside is a real task these days, because apparently a company that thinks that way is a very popular company indeed >.< thieving bastards...

...and that's a task you've now got to take on, because if you have any sense at all, you'll realize that it's ludicrous to pay Conexant (or any other company) $20 extra for something that you should already have. Releasing a driver that's free but useless, is insulting at best (not to mention that it's not exactly good business, either).

US Robotics at least at one time was a very good source of very good modems. Don't know if they make their own chips though... Intel makes LAN cards, but I don't know about modems -- worth looking into, though...

nitehawk

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun 2014, 14:22    Post subject:  

I had to give up on winmodems a long time ago. I went to Ebay and got a couple of external USRobotics for very little (for my old desktops) Then I run into cheap ones in thrift stores, sometimes. Got my little Trendnet for just a buck! Had it for a couple of years now,...(using it right now, as a matter of fact). I had a conexant winmodem recently, that I just threw away. I would just use a USB dialup modem (as has been suggested by Moat) on a laptop, though. External dialup modems can be very clumsey on laptops Laughing
So sorry you have one of those ickey conexants. Starhawk is right in his ideas on the folks who make those things and the drivers for them. Highway robbery!
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Dialup
Jump to: