Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects

Ray MK

#3742 Post by Ray MK »

Just had to let you all know how well shinobar’s portable Firefox works with Jemimah’s outstanding Saluki.

Fantastic - running frugal on my old IBM T41 laptop, 512mb ram, no swap, Pentium M 1400Mhz processor.

This is the latest Firefox, quite amazing.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

mistfire

Enable Samba and FTP on thunar

#3743 Post by mistfire »

Can you help me how to enable FTP and samba on Thunar here in saluki? I install GVFS and GVFS-SMB. But still FTP and samba does not work on thunar. I prefer to use thunar on FTP and samba access rather than gftp and pnethood.

Pelo

Xmenu entry maker

#3744 Post by Pelo »

Xmenu entry maker fiil as screenshot shows.
Saluki 023 : what a nice distro !
Attachments
Menu-EntryMaker.jpg
(33.93 KiB) Downloaded 966 times

smokey01

#3745 Post by smokey01 »

Jemimah was an exceptional contributor.

It's a real shame we no longer see her here.

slavvo67

#3746 Post by slavvo67 »

Agreed. This distro was clearly ahead of its time.

LazY Puppy

#3747 Post by LazY Puppy »

smokey01 wrote:It's a real shame we no longer see her here.
One can not find unconditional deserved recognition anywhere, except in a well paid job. Even as a Software Developer - and Developers like Jemimah as well needs to get paid for the work they do! 8)
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

jakfish

#3748 Post by jakfish »

She is a Linux hero for the ages.

Jake

Geoffrey

#3749 Post by Geoffrey »

Jemimah's email is jemimah@gmx.com I haven't heard from her for a long time, not long after she left the forum.
Looks like she is still in the same job from around that time
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

TTW

#3750 Post by TTW »

Ray MK wrote:Just had to let you all know how well shinobar’s portable Firefox works with Jemimah’s outstanding Saluki.

Fantastic - running frugal on my old IBM T41 laptop, 512mb ram, no swap, Pentium M 1400Mhz processor.

This is the latest Firefox, quite amazing.
That's good to hear - can you post a link to the topic please?

TTW

mikeb

#3751 Post by mikeb »

Jemimah's email is jemimah@gmx.com I haven't heard from her for a long time, not long after she left the forum.
sorry to pop in on this but that's the fastest way to invite spammers to harvest an email address...could you obfusticate it in some way?

mike

ps she never looked like that in the chatroom :D

Geoffrey

#3752 Post by Geoffrey »

Mike, Jemimah's email address is on public record, along with her postal, residential address and her work history, I'm sure that any spam would be the lest of her worries.

Yeah, she looks a little different to this image http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=26294
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

mikeb

#3753 Post by mikeb »

Mike, Jemimah's email address is on public record, along with her postal, residential address and her work history, I'm sure that any spam would be the lest of her worries.
ah ok.... seems a shame a smart person does not know how to guard their privacy but the email thing in particular is sooo common.

Well I shall worry not then..

mike

Pelo

sayonara multimedia needs QT 4.8.0

#3754 Post by Pelo »

sayonara multimedia needs QT 4.8.0
As i hold SFS Qt 4.8.2 , i wanted load it on the fly, but load on the fly does not work.
Linux 3.2.8 ski (i686)
Sayonara will not miss me a lot, but sfs load on the fly not working would.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 25 May 2016, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

Qlinux

#3755 Post by Qlinux »

this only works on old hardware? i wanted to try it cause i liked the looks from screenshots and on my intel 1150 socket it freezes during boot.

Pelo

saluki on Recent laptops 2012

#3756 Post by Pelo »

Yes, it could be possible that Saluki does not run on new hardware.
I Run It on a Medion P7624 Born 2012 but I believe I have Changed the Kernel.
after checking :
No, Saluki 23 runs with it's Own kernel 3.2.8 ski
Saluki with very few means makes prettier desktop than many. Saluki is a Must
PS : Saluki 013 runs My Laptop Too (Kernel 3.2.8)Wireless connected IWLwifi. Now i am on ACER Aspire 1640 2004 . Temperature Gets High 80° because of Cpu. I must shutdown.
for fun take a Ristretto (You Tube), in fact video is for people take a look at Saluki Puppy Linux.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 25 May 2016, 09:21, edited 3 times in total.

scsijon

Re: saluki on Recent laptops 2012

#3757 Post by scsijon »

Pelo wrote:Yes, it could be possible that Saluki does not run on new hardware.
I Run It on a Medion P7624 Born 2012 but I believe I have Changed the Kernel.
after checking :
No, Saluki 23 runs with it's Own kernel 3.2.8 ski
Saluki with very few means makes prettier desktop than many. Saluki is a Must
PS : Saluki 013 runs My Laptop Too (Kernel 3.2.8)Wireless connected IWLwifi. Now i am on ACER Aspire 1640 2004 . Temperature Gets High 80° because of Cpu. I must shutdown.
I wonder if she submitted her set of woof build changes anywhere?. I think I remember a lot of it was in one of her threads. It could be a building challange for someone to update it to a (semi-)current puppy build, especially if she would be willing to mentor (, you can only ask).

The DOTconfig is available (and attached) if only the kernel is wanted to be updated (fake .gz) for the kernel-kit and that can of course be reused with a later kernel.
Attachments
DOTconfig-3.2.8-saluki.gz
(104.16 KiB) Downloaded 334 times

mikeslr

Try Carolina 1.3's Kernel in Saluki

#3758 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

scsijon wrote:
"It could be a building challange for someone to update it [Saluki] to a (semi-)current puppy build."

Perhaps not so much. See the relationship between Saluki and Carolina 1.3 and Carolina Vanguard: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 275#875275.

A little over a year ago, battleshooter compiled a new kernel for Carolina 1.2. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... bcd#802764. Shortly, thereafter, he compiled a glib upgrade for Carolina and Racy. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 989#806989. Saluki was a woof-build, based on Racy 5.2. From its inception, Saluki was a modular build, separating "the core" from "user applications" into different Sfses.

So it may be possible to to perform "kernel" and glib upgrades on Saluki by substituting Carolina's following the instructions beginning here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 643#836643 or from the beginning of that thread; or --worst case scenario-- those given by battleshooter for upgrading glibs &/or kernel.

mikesLr

darry1966

#3759 Post by darry1966 »

MMMM reading those notes as long as you install the GCC update last it should work.

scsijon

#3760 Post by scsijon »

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten it was from racy.

I've got a 'heap' of other package updates for racy (551) if they are wanted, as it's my prefered puppy still, and i've been updating it as I found the need. src2pkg v3 works well for building pet updates for wary/racy if you only want to do that, although there are a few gotchas like any build of lib6 will just 'kill' your savefile beyond redemption on install and the number of packages that need to be rebuilt twice after you have updated others is 'fascinating'.

On top of that i'm starting working at present towards a T2 racy6 > racy7, by building a minimal racy I've built before with woof called myz (pet based) on 4.3 I think it was. It's up here somewhere. It's just the basics, no x at all, or user packages and the like (consider a cutdown rescue system) but the new one will be with linux 4.3. The new one will be called myzt2 and be 'tighter' still.

I've a vague memory of looking at jemimah's work for allowing additional sfs's after she released it and considering adding parts of it into the origonal myz, but there were blockages as to the limit from available memory back then I think I found. myz was suppose to have only the basic puppys components/packages and each other wanted menu group was to have it's own sfs to make adding package groups and updating a lot easier. I shall have to find my build logs from back then and see what I did. Hmmmm..., maybe a revisit is worth ....

Opps, sorry for hijacking the thread, i'll get 'off the line'.