Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#3021 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:To avoid misunderstanding:
I used your script with the new frisbee already installed.
Could make a difference.
I also use new frisbee, Fred + copy/paste last ipinfo in /usr/bin.

Edit: All Frisbee and SNS packages rebuilded with new ipinfo:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/

mcewanw

#3022 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote:
Toni wrote: One thing is not clear yet:
I do want to include DoMyFile, does xhippo need updated? and how?

Fred.
Hi Fred,

Yes, parts of xhippo need updated (xhplay and xhconfig and the radio playlists):

Actually, full instructions for the xhippo update are in the one post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 735#782735

You may want to remove the old playlists from the xhippo default playlist location ($HOME/.xhippo/playlists) first since (don't know if they would still all work).
-----

In addition to that I created a new script, called make-xhippo-playlist which is used to create xhippo playlists out of other playlist formats.

Instructions (and the new script itself) are provided here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 739#782739
-----

As for DoMyCommand, DoMyFile, pavrecord, and ffconvert. Yes, these just need installed (or re-installed from the new debs). The only extra instruction concerned with that is that you should remove the old $HOME/.domycommand config folder manually before apt-get purge old domycommand and installing the new one. The same would apply to pavrecord (and any earlier domyfile had it been previously installed). This applies to all users on the system (e.g. root and puppy user).
github mcewanw

fredx181

#3023 Post by fredx181 »

William wrote:Hi Fred,

Yes, parts of xhippo need updated (xhplay and xhconfig and the radio playlists):

Actually, full instructions for the xhippo update are in the one post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 735#782735
Thanks William, it was more simple as I thought it would be.
All seems to work well, loading 0default.d.xplist shows all radiostations in xhippo, nice!

Toni, the change-frisbee2sns script works well for me on Jwm version.
It's a mystery it doesn't on openbox version.
Can you try if this works for you?:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

echo ###
echo "Confirm removing Frisbee and installing SNS or close this window to exit."
echo ###
apt-get purge frisbee

echo ###
echo "Frisbee removed. Installing SNS..."
echo ###
while [ -n `pidof dhcpcd` ];
do
sleep 1
if [ -z `pidof dhcpcd` ]; then
break
fi
done
dpkg -i /opt/apps/sns_2.1.1-1.deb

Xdialog --title "Change-Frisbee2SNS" --msgbox " Simple_Network_Setup is installed." 0 0
exit 0
It just checks if the dhcpcd pid has already exited and continues installing SNS when it has.

Then... I had another problem:
When I click OK immediately when the last message appears, it stops the process of bringing the network up.
That's because of a small mistake I made in /etc/init.d/sns in the start and restart section:
This:

/usr/local/simple_network_setup/rc.network &
Needs to be without the "&":

/usr/local/simple_network_setup/rc.network
Here's new deb from your latest SNS deb with only change in /etc/init.d/sns
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing

I am almost ready for making new iso now so tell me when you are.

EDIT: I wanted to mention earlier already:
There is no need for separate frisbee_1.2-20140602 deb for openbox version after new release because I removed the frisbee-tray script now from /root/bin.

Fred

saintless

#3024 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Seems to work for me as well. Added also removing /etc/frisbee This is the full script:

#!/bin/bash

echo ###
echo "Confirm removing Frisbee and installing SNS or close this window to exit."
echo ###
apt-get purge frisbee
echo ###
echo ###
do
sleep 1
break
fi
done
rm -fr /etc/frisbee

Xdialog --title "Change-Frisbee2SNS" --msgbox " Simple_Network_Setup is installed." 0 0
exit 0
I have a problem with new sns download link but I rebuilded the package with the change and I will upload it later on the site.
After new versions are ready I will leave one frisbee package only.

I want to test few days before making final iso. I'm almost ready with live-snapshot scripts but I need to test them on OpenBox first to be sure.

Toni

saintless

#3025 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Live-snapshot + snap-make + desktop icon inside this archive:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... ake.tar.gz
It is only for live-boot-2x persistent method. If you deciide to include it it works with OpenBox version.
snap-make is moded version of live-make from Sfs (sfslinux). We need only the snapshot function since we have save file GUI utility. So I removed much options to make it only for create and refresh live-sn.
Still testing but it seems to work without troubles. The refresh function is added as button but it works also from terminal:

live-snapshot -f
or

live-snapshot --refresh

Edit: Fred, video2audio-gui-x needs gsu line on top otherwise it brings back the warning to confirm creating ffmpeg module again and again. I will try to test all today and tommorrow for user and root.

Toni

saintless

#3026 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Added remove lines for menu files and sns deb after changing frisbee to sns:

#!/bin/bash

echo ###
echo ###
apt-get purge frisbee
echo ###
echo ###
do
sleep 1
break
fi
done
rm -fr /etc/frisbee
rm -f /usr/share/menu/change-netmanager
rm -f /usr/share/applications/change-netmanager.desktop
wait
rm -f /opt/apps/sns_2.1.1-1.deb

exit 0
Test it when you have time if it works for you.

Toni

fredx181

#3027 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:Added remove lines for menu files and sns deb after changing frisbee to sns:
Yes, works fine for me, good that you thought about cleaning up.
Edit: Fred, video2audio-gui-x needs gsu line on top otherwise it brings back the warning to confirm creating ffmpeg module again and again. I will try to test all today and tommorrow for user and root.
I don't see what you mean, just tested a few times on puppy user and it works fine.
The script has in fact your ffmpeg2sfs included but as a function (ffmpegtosfs)
It creates ffmpeg.sfs and also loads it automatically.
On line 169 there's the gsu line:

exec gsu sh -c ffmpegtosfs &
Fred

saintless

#3028 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:

Hi, Fred.

Jwm version starts sudo from /opt/bin/gsu and the original gsu is /opt/bin/gsu-root It was a path fix because of xdm export path configuration file. It was temporary fix but still can't find better one. Openbox gets the path from /etc/environment and Jwm gets it from xdm configuration files and from /etc/profile
This way it does not work for me.
The solution is simple since it is not deb package. I will add gsu line on top or I will change:

to

exec gsu-root sh -c ffmpegtosfs &
Then it works for Jwm also.

Toni

fredx181

#3029 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Jwm version starts sudo from /opt/bin/gsu and the original gsu is /opt/bin/gsu-root It was a fix for permissions because of xdm export path configuration file. It was temporary fix but still can't find better one. Openbox gets the path from /etc/environment and Jwm gets it from xdm configuration files and from /etc/profile
Ah, I see now.
I'm in doubt about putting it on top or change line 169.
Because this script converts to same directory and most users have video files on another drive or partition so you get a "permission denied" (when running as normal user)
Maybe better then to put the gsu or gsu-root on top, what do you think?

Fred

saintless

#3030 Post by saintless »

This works fine for gsu pointing to sudo or ktsuss, Fred, without changing anything else.:

#!/bin/bash
#set -x

[ "`whoami`" != "root" ] && exec gsu ${0}

export LC_ALL=C
And works for any drive without permissions problem. I will leave it this way.

Edit. I will add the same line in video2audio-x:

It is called from separate script for user or root as right click option but it could be run from terminal directly.

Toni

fredx181

#3031 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:#!/bin/bash
#set -x

export LC_ALL=C

And works for any drive without permissions problem. I will leave it this way.
Ok, I'll do the same.
Also for the video2audio-x script.

Fred

saintless

#3032 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:I am almost ready for making new iso now so tell me when you are.
I'm ready with all the changes I plan to include for now, Fred, but I suggest to test one more day to see if we can find something for fixing.
If all is OK I will need few hours to build the iso after you post download link for OpenBox version.

Toni

saintless

#3033 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Uploaded sns deb package with added also gsu line. Use this one in /opt/apps:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/sns_2.1.1-1.deb
And add the same line in the beginning in /opt/bin/change-frisbee2sns:

Toni

saintless

#3034 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.

Reading again your post here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 828#778828
I think the new iso will include all your points there. pet2sfs and pet2deb will give option for quick, easy and safe way to test and install pet packages (single pet or folder wit pet packages)

This one:
3. Some mechanism/utility for taking a standard apt package and trimming the fat (as it is called in Puppy) for later addition to DebianDog using methods such as in 1. and 2. above. We already have Apt2sfs from Fred, but I don't think that trims out any of the bloat first.
Is available and apt2sfs, remasterdog and remastercow clean the deb packages better than puppy method.
Removing dependencies that are not needed for the basic program to work will be real solution. This can be automated by removing all dependencies from control file but the result will be non working deb package in most cases that needs manually installing some of the dependencies. I will think about this but for now I do not see 100% working method. It will be safe with sure but not working for all debian packages, but the point is to have all downloaded from debian repository working.

Toni

mcewanw

#3035 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Hi, William.

Reading again your post here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 828#778828
I think the new iso will include all your points there. pet2sfs and pet2deb will give option for quick, easy and safe way to test and install pet packages (single pet or folder wit pet packages)

This one:
3. Some mechanism/utility for taking a standard apt package and trimming the fat (as it is called in Puppy) for later addition to DebianDog using methods such as in 1. and 2. above. We already have Apt2sfs from Fred, but I don't think that trims out any of the bloat first.
Is available and apt2sfs, remasterdog and remastercow clean the deb packages better than puppy method.

Toni
Yes, the more I use DebianDog, and bearing in mind your new pet2--- additions, the more I think it provides all these facilities now. Now I find DebianDog a really great environment for experimenting and producing home-grown apps and utilities, most of which can be readily ported back to Puppy itself and yet remain fully multi-user capable.
github mcewanw

fredx181

#3036 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Here's new openbox_xfce iso.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing
Added your latest additions (SNS and others with gsu line)

The size is a bit smaller because of smaller firefox version 27 (and maybe because of smaller gnome-mplayer)
The firefox version 28 which was in previous release had terrible behaviour: upgrading without asking.

Can you give it a quick try on your monster :) ?
Specially because I had some problems again loading the icons in system-tray so needed to add more sleep time in autostart script.

Live-snapshot I didn't include because I think it needs more testing and also I'm not sure if it is a useful addition, we have porteus-boot with save on exit supporting file deletion which live-snapshot doesn't AFAIK.

Fred

saintless

#3037 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
I get wallpaper and icons for user and root without troubles two reboots. Video works for user and root. I will try to test it a bit more in the next hours.
Now compressing Jwm main module and will re-upload both versions tonight with message in the thread.

About live-snapshot it is up to you, Fred, but I think it is different save option from porteus save on exit and snap changes when you need only. Yes, it does not support deleted (wh) files that are in the main module (uninstalling programs for example). But it keeps all other changes, including changed files from the main module.
live-sn.cpio.gz is read-write compressed save file only few k in size and it changes its size depending of the changes you make. It is perfect for saving system settings on flash-drive for example. And you can keep many different name small files with different settings for different machines and load the one you need only. You can also use live-sn with live-rw save file or partition at the same time. You know I use mostly live-boot-2x and it is good option for my needs.

I will try to add the new utilities in the next days in the thread and I think we are close to Alpha version. At least I see nothing special at the moment to be added for next DebianDog.

Toni

fredx181

#3038 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:I get wallpaper and icons for user and root without troubles two reboots. Video works for user and root.
Alright!!
About live-snapshot it is up to you, Fred, but I think it is different save option from porteus save on exit and snap changes when you need only. Yes, it does not support deleted (wh) files that are in the main module (uninstalling programs for example). But it keeps all other changes, including changed files from the main module.
live-sn.cpio.gz is read-write compressed save file only few k in size and it changes its size depending of the changes you make. It is perfect for saving system settings on flash-drive for example. And you can keep many different name small files with different settings for different machines and load the one you need only. You can also use live-sn with live-rw save file or partition at the same time. You know I use mostly live-boot-2x and it is good option for my needs.
Ok, thanks for the info, it's new for me.
I think we are close to Alpha version
I think also, the changes we made now were mostly additions, very little real fixes.
A nice addition btw could be menu entry for flash-player-install.

Fred

saintless

#3039 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Both iso replaced and information about the changes posted in the thread.
fredx181 wrote:A nice addition btw could be menu entry for flash-player-install.
Is it enough for example menu entry pointing to script with option and information similar to change-netmanager and running:

apt-get update
apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
Toni

stemsee

#3040 Post by stemsee »

I converted my wine-1.7.19.pet to .deb using your pet2deb and installed it and installed xbmc.exe 13 on that. Two finger touch works on my sentelic fingerpad. Booted both on fatdog initrd and my 3.14.5 kernel and debian 3.14-pae-bpo. Played some Brahms and Bela Fleck and the Flektones 'greatest hits of the twentieth century' So far very good. Installed sns and some firmware. Impressive.

Edit: I had to run 'Diagnostics' on Frisbee before wlan would show any networks ... in case someone else has the same issue.