Where can I find penggy4Puppy (for AOL dialup)?

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
mouldy

#21 Post by mouldy »

Time marches on. AOL now has a $4.99 per month "unlimited" pkg. Netzero which I have been using is raising their monthly price to $11 in July and its becoming unreliable where sometimes I can log on, sometimes not. AOL still only has that one number but I tried it on XP and it works about as well as any of numbers on Netzero. Guess enough people have quit AOL so it doesnt slow so much on that one number.

Anyway the Penggy pet has disappeared as has the old tar ball version. I thought I had Penggy and its dependencies installed via some debs and one rpm I found with web search. It runs and yes, LOL, I know how to set up the cfg file.

But after dialing and then doing the handshake and negotiations and says its connected at 26kbps, it then says modem timed out during dialing!????? and starts dialing all over again. This wasnt how Penggy worked if I remember. It should dial and do the handshake, then "tunnel" before connecting.

Either AOL changed something that broke Penggy (very possible, even mentioned in cfg file that AOL had plans for new kind connection to replace TUN) or the deb version of Penggy is screwed up somehow.

If somebody could post working link to the dotpet, I will try that. I know it worked in 4.2 or 4.3 or whatever I was using last time I used Penggy successfully. I can even dig out an old Puppy 4.3 cd if I have to.

Alas still kinda betting Penggy is finally permanently broken since it hasnt been upgraded since like 2001. And I havent seen anybody mentioning using it since like 2009 or 2010.

Dialup is doing last gasps both in availability and usability. NO SCRIPT has made dialup still somewhat usable, but its still pretty slow and kinda hassle. I dont have DSL or cable available. I can connect using pay as you go Virgin Mobile broadband data, but its kinda expensive for day to day use. $25 for 1.5gb. Little bit of it once in a while when I need it ok, but not for full time use. Probably need minimum of 3gb per month if using only it and thats cost prohibitive. Only other option is satellite broadband and its like $45 for minimal bandwidth plus having to buy all the equipment.

ttuuxxx

#22 Post by ttuuxxx »

mouldy wrote:Time marches on. AOL now has a $4.99 per month "unlimited" pkg. Netzero which I have been using is raising their monthly price to $11 in July and its becoming unreliable where sometimes I can log on, sometimes not. AOL still only has that one number but I tried it on XP and it works about as well as any of numbers on Netzero. Guess enough people have quit AOL so it doesnt slow so much on that one number.

Anyway the Penggy pet has disappeared as has the old tar ball version. I thought I had Penggy and its dependencies installed via some debs and one rpm I found with web search. It runs and yes, LOL, I know how to set up the cfg file.

But after dialing and then doing the handshake and negotiations and says its connected at 26kbps, it then says modem timed out during dialing!????? and starts dialing all over again. This wasnt how Penggy worked if I remember. It should dial and do the handshake, then "tunnel" before connecting.

Either AOL changed something that broke Penggy (very possible, even mentioned in cfg file that AOL had plans for new kind connection to replace TUN) or the deb version of Penggy is screwed up somehow.

If somebody could post working link to the dotpet, I will try that. I know it worked in 4.2 or 4.3 or whatever I was using last time I used Penggy successfully. I can even dig out an old Puppy 4.3 cd if I have to.

Alas still kinda betting Penggy is finally permanently broken since it hasnt been upgraded since like 2001. And I havent seen anybody mentioning using it since like 2009 or 2010.

Dialup is doing last gasps both in availability and usability. NO SCRIPT has made dialup still somewhat usable, but its still pretty slow and kinda hassle. I dont have DSL or cable available. I can connect using pay as you go Virgin Mobile broadband data, but its kinda expensive for day to day use. $25 for 1.5gb. Little bit of it once in a while when I need it ok, but not for full time use. Probably need minimum of 3gb per month if using only it and thats cost prohibitive. Only other option is satellite broadband and its like $45 for minimal bandwidth plus having to buy all the equipment.
try this in a terminal, compiled on slacko 2 mins ago. If it works great,
ttuuxxx
Attachments
penggy-0.2.1-i686.pet
(71.97 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

mouldy

#23 Post by mouldy »

Thanks, just downloaded it, will try it this evening.

ttuuxxx

#24 Post by ttuuxxx »

mouldy wrote:Thanks, just downloaded it, will try it this evening.
Let me know how it goes :)
ttuuxxx

mouldy

#25 Post by mouldy »

I was able to try it sooner than expected. Nope, same error message about modem timing out during dialing. Figured that was the case since the Deb version seemed to run fine just threw up that error message during connection attempt.

Thats it unless somebody actually currently using Penggy, now or within last few months posts, and confirms that it still works. Hopefully they can tell what has changed (for instance could it be using some new port outside of the ones listed in Penggy), but if not, then have to assume Penggy is now officially relegated to being a historic relic. I sure dont have the knowledge/skills to fix it and doubt anybody that does has slightest interest. One would have to figure out what AOL has changed in connection procedure and make Penggy mimic it.

I suspect now only way to connect to web via AOL with Puppy would be to use two computers, one with minimalist version of windows, just enough to run current AOL windows software. It would connect then share the connection with a networked Puppy computer.

ttuuxxx

#26 Post by ttuuxxx »

mouldy wrote:I was able to try it sooner than expected. Nope, same error message about modem timing out during dialing. Figured that was the case since the Deb version seemed to run fine just threw up that error message during connection attempt.

Thats it unless somebody actually currently using Penggy, now or within last few months posts, and confirms that it still works. Hopefully they can tell what has changed (for instance could it be using some new port outside of the ones listed in Penggy), but if not, then have to assume Penggy is now officially relegated to being a historic relic. I sure dont have the knowledge/skills to fix it and doubt anybody that does has slightest interest. One would have to figure out what AOL has changed in connection procedure and make Penggy mimic it.

I suspect now only way to connect to web via AOL with Puppy would be to use two computers, one with minimalist version of windows, just enough to run current AOL windows software. It would connect then share the connection with a networked Puppy computer.
have you tried this http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... d623cd39cb

mouldy

#27 Post by mouldy »

Found the problem. AOL now uses "protocol LAP-M" instead of protocol p3. Penggy only supports protocol p3. That that.

I found out by using wvdial and trying to connect directly. It blurted out contacted server wanted protocol LAP-M, then instantly dropped connection. A note made by writers of Penggy in the config file back in 2001 mentions AOL was moving to "protocol L2TP otherwise known as FLAP" which hadnt been implemented yet in Penggy. I assume AOL renamed it to LAP-M when they finally did implement it and finally discontinued legacy protocol p3.

I was looking and found AOL still has supported version of their software that works on systems as old as win98. So a $10 ancient laptop with windows running AOL software, and a null modem cable to network to puppy computer should work. As I mention, protecting the windows computer is meaningless as it would be used for nothing but to connect, becoming a dedicated AOL modem if you will. It would bottleneck on dialup to completely unusable if somebody tried to hack into it, plus nothing on it other than windows system files or AOL software files, nothing personal. I've already experimented with windows AOL, you can shut it down to basically doing nothing except making a connection if you try. I experimented cause I didnt want it wasting bandwidth trying to show me the AOL news highlights. You cant completely turn off AOL browser or connection ends. But you can lock AOL/IE browser down using maximum security options so it in effect does nothing but provide a connection to web. Then just use regular Firefox browser with adblockplus and NO SCRIPT and faster fox.

mouldy

#28 Post by mouldy »

Guess I am confused. Original poster in that thread seems to be having Puppy modem installation problems and the thread digresses into suggesting other isp services. Nothing was solved, people just got bored/confused and went away. How exactly does that apply to my problem with Penggy.