Weird Graphical Glitching after installing Precise Puppy

Please post any bugs you have found
metallica5456

#21 Post by metallica5456 »

Hi I am using Precise Puppy RETRO I think its 5.7.1 and its the NON PAE version too...I am sorry for posting on this old thread but I am new to the site..

npierce

#22 Post by npierce »

Since you have the same symptoms described in this thread, it is appropriate for you to post your question here, so no apology is necessary. Probably your problem is similar, and may also be related to the /lib/i386-linux-gnu and /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu links discussed in this thread.

So first, let's see if the links are working. From a terminal window (Menu -> Utility -> Urxvt) please enter the following two commands and tell us what output you see:

Code: Select all

ls -ld /lib/i386-linux-gnu
ls -ld /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
This will tell us if those items are still symbolic links, as they should be, or if something (such as the installation of a package) changed them to directories or removed them entirely.

metallica5456

#23 Post by metallica5456 »

after I do each command I get the following

irwxrwxrwx 1 root root 2 Aug 2 2013 (then directory command u suggested) highlighted in light blue

BTW I did this while having loaded one of the save files

npierce

#24 Post by npierce »

metallica5456 wrote:irwxrwxrwx 1 root root 2 Aug 2 2013 (then directory command u suggested)
OK, I'm assuming that the first character there is actully a lower case L ('l), not a lower case I ('i'), and that you also see "-> /lib" and "-> /usr/lib", respectivally, at the end of the output line. If so, this indicates that these are correctly still links, not directories. So that cause can be ruled-out. (If my assumption about what the output is wrong, please let me know.)

Does the text under the icons display OK for you, or do you just see little boxes as in this image?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=61078

metallica5456

#25 Post by metallica5456 »

yes it IS a lower case "l" sorry bout that...and I see the little arrow thingy at the END of the lines after the command is input

Text is correctly there JUST the icons as in your picture...BTW I should mention EVERYTIME I SHUTDOWN it freezes and I have to hard boot the machine and then when comes on next time it gives me a message saying X was exited incorrectly and to just ignore it if was a power failure of some sort.

npierce

#26 Post by npierce »

OK, so the problem is with the icons, but not the text. That narrows it down some.

Possibly the cache file for the gdk pixbuf loaders or the link that points to that file has been damaged.

First, the file. What output do you get for this command?:

ls -l  /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
(Note that you can copy the above command by first selecting it with your left mouse button, then clicking in the terminal window and pressing Shift + Ins simultaneously.)

(You can also copy the output from the command by first selecting it with your left mouse button, then going to the place you want to paste it and clicking your middle mouse button. If you don't have a middle mouse button you may press both left and right buttons simultaneously -- that might take a bit of practice to get right.)

If you get a "No such file or directory" error, you can recreate the file with the following command:

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
Next, the symlink. What output do you get for this command? (Note that this is just one command although it may appear as more than one line if your browser window is small.):

ls -l  /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
You should get something like this:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 Aug  2  2013 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache -> ../../../../etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
(As for the freeze on shutdown, that's probably an unrelated, separate issue, and one that I've not experienced. But if you look around the forum you will find that many others have had similar problems and fixed them in the past, and you may find an answer that also works for you.)

metallica5456

#27 Post by metallica5456 »

After first command:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 2 2013 /etc/gtx-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders

holy smokes for the second command I got EXACTLY what you said I should get..

Are we making any progress yet?? This linux coding and what not is interesting BUT I have no IDEA what t means LOL

npierce

#28 Post by npierce »

Yes, I think we are getting close.

It looks like the file is there, but is empty (the zero before the date is the file size). This command should make a new file with the correct contents:

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
Then you can verify that that worked by trying this command again:

ls -l  /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
This time the number before the date should be greater than zero, and the date will be today's.

If that looks good, save any work you are doing and restart the X server (Menu -> Shutdown -> Restart X Server).

Are the curious triangle icons gone after doing that?

metallica5456

#29 Post by metallica5456 »

OMG OMG OMG.....DUDE its working!!!! Last night I didn't even bother to try to shut it off properly and NOW I just started it up and it loaded the icons correctly and automatically loaded internet and everything. Only thing is theres no wallpaper just gray background...please advise what to do now?? Is it fixed??

EDIT:

NVM the backgrounds ARE working I just selected them in the background wallpaper chooser and it worked just fine...OMG what did you do!! You are a true puppy god sir!!!

npierce

#30 Post by npierce »

metallica5456,

Hi. Sorry not to respond sooner. I've not logged-in for a couple of months.

Anyway, I'm glad to read that you got it working. Belatedly, welcome to the forum.

metallica5456

#31 Post by metallica5456 »

LOL its ok I actually gave that lapper away about a month ago. THANK YOU for your help though.

npierce

#32 Post by npierce »

You're welcome. :)