ROX-Filer 2.10

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
Karl Godt

ROX-Filer 2.10

#1 Post by Karl Godt »

This is rox-2.10 compiled on wary-racy-puppy-5.1.99

It includes the full docs, full application-type mime-icons and full Messages language files .

It also includes 2 shellscripts for my-applications/bin to have simple command line tools to switch between rox --version s by symlinking 1. the bins inside the dir ; 2. whole version dirs .

I have left the full src/po files , which make 1/3 of the tar ball .

The adjustments from
 ROX-Filer Modification  
are included incl. DOTdiffs .

The Mime Icon part is maily left as is , no symlinks made except for inode-directory and inode-mount-point .

The goal was to have rox open the /proc directory without freezing running Puppy in PUPMODE=12 with save-file , and it apparenty succeeded .

The whole is simply ./AppRun --compile --with-x on my P4 machine .

Though apsymbols.h it would not run on Puppies with lesser than
[/usr]/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.2400[.0] because of
glib-2.0/glib/gmem.h:gpointer g_malloc_n (gsize n_blocks,
Google tells me that g_malloc_n() was introduced in glib 2.24.
http://help.lockergnome.com/linux/undef ... 29109.html
which would be around Lupu-511 i think [ Puppy-431 has got libglib-2.18] .

This is an instant tarball meant to easily dir2pet || tgz2pet it to install by petget [PPM] but first would need bunzip2 && gzip for that [ 2MB limit ?].

After testing the whole language thingy i will probably leave out the po files , probably reduce the size of the icons by creating links .

I like the new icons very much , though .

Don’t forget to add
gtk-can-change-accels = 1
to $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0
which works for me for both Xorg and Xvesa server .

AND because rox is lauched by $HOME/.xinitrc :
Restart X-server OR killall ROX-Filer ; rox -p $HOME/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin .

TODO1 : Will have to add a puninstall.sh also to restore the backup’ed original ROX-Filer binary done by the pinstall.sh .

[edit=2011_11_03]
*PLEASE* use the cleaned up tarball in post #3 !
I'll leave it here for now to test to extract it on other Puppy Versions !! :shock:
[edit 2]
running racy-5.1.110 pfix=ram the original tarball extracted fine
[/edit 2]
[/edit=2011_11_03]
Last edited by Karl Godt on Thu 03 Nov 2011, 19:00, edited 2 times in total.

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

WARNING : Today i tested the above tarball on another traditional full installation of Lupu-511 and because of too many

./usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME/.wh.__dir_opaque

files created by the aufs important for frugal installations the xarchvive/bunzip2 is apparently not able to handle 1/2 part of the tarball .

These "*.wh.*" files are hidden files .

Will have to investigate this , and upload a working tarball later .

[ another cause to prefer full installations ]

:evil:

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

There had been a similar issue with

How to install Lilypond in Puppy after 2.13.42?

not being able to extract a tarball .

The solution was for the author to extract on mageia puppy (aka Drake Puppy) .

I had put the first tarball together running an encrypted aes crypta save-file and since encryption seems to be common nowerdays , this may influence the archiving commands .

*NEW*

HERE now the cleaned tarball :

Karl Godt

rox-2.10 for puppy 43+

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

Finally i got the pinstall.sh and puninstall.sh working

as the title states it is compiled on puppy 43 and should work on later puppies .

After dl do tgz2pet and click on the new pet . Please post any problems .

benny7440

#5 Post by benny7440 »

I d/l the rox file because have a problem with my installation: don't have a working file manager. I don't know much of handling things within a console, either.

The thing is that from a terminal I wrote the tgz2pet & received the message:
"command not found". Many things are broken due to a deleting process made by me in a careless way. I'm running what's left of Lucid528; also, d/l an iso of an updated version (the .004) a few mins ago. But, since I don't have a file manager it's getting hard to do any useful amendments to the system.

I know that if you click on an iso file you'll see the compressed files within & you can move/copy them as you like with ease. Can it be done from the console? I guess it can be done..., but don't know how.

Had 5 folders each with a different puppy version (all worked), now only 2 of them seems to work: 525 & Puppy Studio, apart from this half dismantled one.

Thanks for any hint/tip/help on this to anyone that post below!

tytower

#6 Post by tytower »

Hm you are not my favourite person atm
I d/l from post 3 as suggested ran the script and lost my window manager and icons . Its a mess atm Ill try the next tar ball but don't you have a pet package or something?

I can't even get a file system up to get to the d/l directory. Going to have to go in through a terminal

I reinstalled 2.9 from wary and now have a file GUI view -no wallpaper or icons yet.
D/l the last tar ball above and ran the install script and got this

Code: Select all

# sh pinstall.sh
/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer does not exist .
/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer
ROX-Filer not installed ?
find: `/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer-2.10-MpF3/': No such file or directory
/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer-2.10-MpF3/ROX-Filer not a '-L' link
ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer-2.10-MpF3/ROX-Filer': No such file or directory
# 
I'm on 5.31 and it is not working at all on this yet-but it does create instant chaos!
Can you tell me how to get my desktop back and what it might have done to lose them?

Edit I also notice a warning that Rox-pinboard is not running - is this a clue?

On the brighter side the ROX filer that I have got running now correctly displays the /proc directory so thats a plus!

tytower

#7 Post by tytower »

benny7440 wrote:Had 5 folders each with a different puppy version (all worked), now only 2 of them seems to work: 525 & Puppy Studio, apart from this half dismantled one.

Thanks for any hint/tip/help on this to anyone that post below!
Mate I find it best just to run the latest version all the time . If software has a problem -and they always do - the corrections can only really come in the later versions . Quick fixes are only meant to be temporary until the new release comes out.

I can suggest 5.31 as being a very workable and satisfying release but I will go to the next one as soon as I hear about it.

tytower

#8 Post by tytower »

When you use this it is set to default to a black screen and you see no icons .
You must edit /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin file to replace this

<backdrop style="Stretched">/usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg</backdrop>

with your chosen background -in my case
<backdrop style="Stretched">/root/soldiers_pointHardDrive.jpg</backdrop>

I could not set this with any other application.

Once this is done I got almost all my desktop icons back !!!
The standard ones but not those I had added later
Last edited by tytower on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

benny7440

#9 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks tytower for replying!

I already fixed that problem by d/l & installing PL528.005 but l'll consider the newlly released version you posted, specially before I do re-start a long ago stopped project for which I need the development libs (devx). BTW, one reason for stopping the program I was making was a chaos in PL528 due to my rush in deleting some files; after updating I didn't included the devx package, yet.

A more recent but still theoretical issue is my lack of understanding of how to include some graphics anywhere on the screen & control the cursor within without loosing any info in the process. This will be my next challenge.
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

Karl Godt

#10 Post by Karl Godt »

Tytower, your signature is a controversial one and i must say that i don't like it . In a way your signature resembles Mr. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_Gaddafi . And this I think is beyond taste then :
Wed 05 Sep 2012, 22:58
I D/l from Karls ref
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1684440833

and it seems fine now after I got my Desktop back . See that ref for the fix
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 627#650627

The pinstall script is there to fix problems with the tar binary that is used by the petget script which did not install things right (ie created a link /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer to itself) .

Just pull out the ROX-Filer binary and drop it to it's place .

This is a course that the the ROX-Filer binarys attached in this forum mostly come as a .tar.* and not as a .pet .

Benny, sorry for not responding but this thread is not for the discussion of recovering an installation of a whole OS :oops: or to explain the tar2pet script but a working filemanager is helpful though .

tytower

#11 Post by tytower »

Karl Godt wrote:Tytower, your signature is a controversial one and i must say that i don't like it . In a way your signature resembles Mr. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_Gaddafi . And this I think is beyond taste then :

Don't give a damn what you think of my signature ,clown.Stick to the subject in future.
However that said ,read it again and try to get it clear if you can.
Perhaps you don't understand English properly
It concerns the personal right to freedom, privacy and honest Politicians
Perhaps you are in West Germany and don't understand the concept of Freedom.

Your updated package makes a mess and you should fix it for people less capable than me or risk losing their support for what I feel is a great system. Even when I found and fixed the errors I still had icons missing that I had separately placed on the desktop.

This fellow is not really capable of writing packages accurately and legibly and I wonder who gives them the "go ahead"? Maybe they just usurp it .
Last edited by tytower on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

Karl Godt

#12 Post by Karl Godt »

tytower

#13 Post by tytower »

If you are going to spend your time fixing any part of a Puppy disto then would it not make sense to pass that fix to the people responsible for the distro

This issue is still not fixed in Precise 5.4.2

slackfan

How to change the settings of my Rox filer

#14 Post by slackfan »

Hi

I will not begin a new thread to only ask how to change the settings of my Rox filer.

As some file copied from the web have a very long name, the order of dates in the Rox filer paned are not very practical because in case of long name you often see only the name of files and not time of last use, size and file extension, and only after that the name with his variable length!

I would prefer to always see very small icons!

How to do that easily?

Kind regards

amigo

#15 Post by amigo »

Right-click on any ROX window and choose 'Options' for the rox preferences. In order to change the sort-order right-click on any ROX window and choose 'Display'. Icon-size and other things are controlled by clicking on icons in the toolbar of the window.

slackfan

#16 Post by slackfan »

Hi amigo

Thank you very much for your help! I did solve a part of my problems. The most important problem continue to be there:

I very often download internet pages having in her HTML codes proposals for page name etc.

after that, you have the situation documented in following picture: all the rows in Rox show only the very long name field and the other columns disappear from Rox window at the right side.

for this reason I would prefer to see the columns in following order:

- date
- kind of file
- size
and only at the end
- name (the part finding place in that view! it is often enough! if the directory contains only ONE (1) long name, it disturbs the view for all rows in that directory

(in M$ windows it was easy: click on the top field of the column and hold with CapsLock and move the column right or left!)

thank you again

kind regards
Attachments
scrennshot.jpg
(39.44 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

Karl Godt

Rearrage labels

#17 Post by Karl Godt »

Click on the TOP line of the treeview , it is called label-line .

With all these labels like "Name" "Type" "Size" "Permissions" .

Keep the mouse button pressed and try to move the label right and left ,

until 2 black arrow heads come forth .

Then release the button.

To change the label size ,
try to hover over the right and left ends of the label,
then it should come fort a smaller arrow with heads pointing left and right .

Am using the stock slacko64-5.8.8 rox 2.11 GTK 2.24.10 ATM
and I can only change the label size
of the four leftmost labels .

Bugu GTK .
Bugu GDK .
Bugu ROX .

Bugu Whatever .

slackfan

#18 Post by slackfan »

Hallo Karl

Thank you for your help: it works as you did explain...

... in Puppy.

Now I have to make a confession: It was not in Puppy but in Ubuntu where I reproduce the Puppy environment (JWM, Rox, mTpaint etc. so I have full Puppy confort and also full KDE if I will with all actual versions of KDE: new Calligra, software like Parley, last version of Merkaartor, the Puppy one is not the last (you don't find the BING aerial views in the background, etc.).

Und in Ubuntu

it is not possible to move the columns as you did describe like in Puppy!

An idea?

Kind regards.

PS: I already did also try in sudo of course! and same with the avanced options booting!
Attachments
MyPuppyLikeUbuntu.jpg
(72.3 KiB) Downloaded 226 times