How long we can keep a Puppy Slacko 5.7.0

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
mekalu2k4

#1 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi Seniors,

I have been using Puppy Linux happily over a month now. The machine is heavily used by us; rarely switched off (may be 3 times in a month?). No issues at all - printer, DVDs, internet-sharing all working.

However, I want to re-do the installation for some reasons such as -
1. Too many pets, sfs, tz files etc; as I experimented with OS a lot; as part of knowing and learning a bit.

2. Too many installed desktop themes etc; most of them not working. Cannot get around, But one senior member helped me a lot and is still helping. Just is me; still learning, will get there...

so, I have the questions below:
1. How long we can use puppy-slacko 5.7.0? Is it good or expected that users should move on (in the Linux world) to next version, if available? (like Windows?)

2. Is it better to wait for the next version?

3. Any other advice (in general?) before I attempt my next installation?
I may not get a chance to experiment again after this opportunity; as schools will open again after summer. Then my kids and all of us use this single machine to do our routine.

Regards and thanks in advance!

neerajkolte

#2 Post by neerajkolte »

Please post details of your machine, the apps you are gonna need, somebody will surely help you choose.

By the way Slacko 5.7 is quite good if you have no problems with it,
stick with it, read it's forum thread for latest happenings, help 01micko improve it by giving feedbacks.

Thanks.

-Neeraj
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Fossil

#3 Post by Fossil »

It really comes down to what you need. Unlike Windows this isn't a race to the next finish line for upgrades and bugfixes. If you are happy with your choice, then there's no real reason to upgrade. I'm still using old machines in the 700Mhz to 1.2mHz range with an assortment of Puppy's ranging from 4.1.2 through 4.3.2 upwards. It satisfies me. Ultimately, it's what you want, your choice. You didn't mention if the install was frugal or full. I'll assume frugal. Get your basic frugal install working to your satisfaction - with the barest minimum of extra installed programs - then, back it up! If you need to experiment with more programs, and something goes wrong, you can then easily reinstall the original saved frugal backup. Easy!

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

Assuming you are using a frugal install, no need to reinstall.

Just boot with "puppy pfix=ram", do the initial settings, and then reboot. When it asks you to create a save file, give it a different name than the first one. Then when you reboot, you'll automatically be given the choice between your two save files or no save file at all.

mekalu2k4

#5 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hardware: 18.4 inch/ Toshiba Qosmio - X505-Q886/ i686- Intl i5 M450/ nVidia/ 4gb RAM/ 500gb HDD/

OS: Puppy-Slacko 5.7.0 (not frugal) installed on Hard drive. No Windows partition.

nVidia driver (proprietary mode) is working and big nVidia splash screen comes at the start up and can change the nVidia settings.

Sound, VLC player, CDs/DVDs all working fine. always connected to internet, always on AC mains without the battery (it is dead, so we removed)

most used apps: thunderbird with exchange, open office. Then firefox - all these are working normal.

Looking for a Windows on wine or virtualbox (there are some: Windows TinyXP Rev09, not sure what is good) as I have one app that runs only on Windows to trade on NY stock exchange.

I have realized that it is better to have a 'leanest' frugal version of OS of Puppy. Will try this weekend or the coming. But what about file size (not sure its name)? it says reaching the limit and then asks us to adjust it?

having one problem: USB drives are not recognized in VirtualBox (have Windows-7 on this virtualbox) not sure how to work around.

Thanks for all the responses.... esp I liked -
Fossil wrote:Unlike Windows this isn't a race to the next finish line for upgrades and bugfixes. If you are happy with your choice, then there's no real reason to upgrade. I'm still using old machines in the 700Mhz to 1.2mHz range with an assortment of Puppy's ranging from 4.1.2 through 4.3.2 upwards.

rokytnji

#6 Post by rokytnji »

I go by how Slackware maintains it's releases.

So If I was you. I would not sweat it.
Support

Until recently, Slackware had no officially stated support term policy. The oldest release supported with security patches was version 8.1 (release date: June 18, 2002).

On June 14, 2012, a notice appeared in the change logs of Slackware versions 8.1, 9.0, 9.1, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 11.0, and 12.0, stating that, effective August 1, 2012, security patches will no longer be provided for these versions (which were all more than 5 years old by that time).

12.1 and 12.2 was EOL on December 9, 2013 after no less than five years of support

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

The 'file size' issue is the savefile -- something's filling it up, probably firefox. Do you *need* to keep userdata between sessions? If it can be offloaded to USB sticks, then no. If it absolutely must be on that computer, look at ways to trim it, particularly in respect to browser-cache stuff (others can help; I only know for Chromium).

If you do not need the userdata to be kept on the computer itself, there is a thread here somewhere (IIRC in either Users or HowTo) about setting up a Kiosk pup. (...which does not keep userdata between sessions.)

cthisbear

#8 Post by cthisbear »

"Windows TinyXP Rev09 "

Runs like a trooper....

So I'm told.

" eXPerience Presents...

Windows Tiny7 Rev01 Unattended Activated CD

" STATISTICS:

- ISO File Size.............................. 699 Mb
- RAM Usage On First Installation............ 185 Mb (VMware, 256Mb RAM)
- Entire Installation Size................... 1.64 Gb
- WINDOWS Folder Size........................ 1.55 Gb
- Running Processes.......................... 25
- Install Time (In VirtualBox, 512Mb RAM).... 11 minutes "

Chris.

neerajkolte

Re: How long we can keep a Puppy Slacko 5.7.0

#9 Post by neerajkolte »

mekalu2k4 wrote:having one problem: USB drives are not recognized in VirtualBox (have Windows-7 on this virtualbox) not sure how to work around.
Hi mekalu2k4,
Do you have installed extension pack for your version of virtual box.
I kind of remember that is needed for usb working.
I have used virtualbox in my Fatdog64-630 previously to run win7 and ubuntu and many puplets, but now I am using KVM-qemu.
from Vbox forum wrote:With the newer version of VirtualBox (>v4.0.0) comes a new feature called Extension Packs. These will contain various additions like PUEL USB and others.

If you have the USB enabled when you update to version 4.0.0 and try to start the guest you will receive an error until you turn off USB or install the Extension Pack.
To install the Extension pack you down load and save it to your hard drive and then open the VirtualBox main program. Click on preferences and on the left side click Extensions. On the right side, click the add package icon and then open the folder that has the extension and click to install it.
Go HERE to get latest vbox and extension pack.
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

mekalu2k4

#10 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Agreed to
neerajkolte wrote:
By the way Slacko 5.7 is quite good .....
-Neeraj
It is taking all my experimentation quietly without making any noise so far. In fact, I started to have great respects now, do not want to re-do my machine immediately. The point is - I wanted to see how bad I can be with the puppy. So far installed all kinds of files, apps etc; some working and some are not. But the OS is rock stable. Then apparently the user need not be too geeky [at least most of the times].

Thanks for pointing on session data/firefox. Will definitely take a look at Firefox data, that is easy to get rid of.
starhawk wrote:The 'file size' issue is the savefile -- something's filling it up, probably firefox....
@Neeraj:
neerajkolte wrote: I have used virtualbox in my Fatdog64-630 previously to run win7 and ubuntu and many puplets, but now I am using KVM-qemu.
from Vbox forum wrote:With the newer version of VirtualBox (>v4.0.0) comes a new feature called Extension Packs. These will contain various additions like PUEL USB and others.

If you have the USB enabled when you update to version 4.0.0 and try to start the guest you will receive an error until you turn off USB or install the Extension Pack.
To install the Extension pack you down load and save it to your hard drive and then open the VirtualBox main program. Click on preferences and on the left side click Extensions. On the right side, click the add package icon and then open the folder that has the extension and click to install it.
Go HERE to get latest vbox and extension pack.
Questions:
1. What I do with the existing Vbox that I installed? Do I have to uninstall and then install this one?
2. This vbox apparently works with the big fatdoggy, mine is only a puppy-slacko 5.7.0 Do you think I can try on my machine?
3. Can I install this vbox and then put 'Windows TinyXP Rev09'?

Sorry to be pestering, but want to make sure....

thanks again seniors. Apparently I am with a nicer OS?

neerajkolte

Re: How long we can keep a Puppy Slacko 5.7.0

#11 Post by neerajkolte »

mekalu2k4 wrote:1. What I do with the existing Vbox that I installed? Do I have to uninstall and then install this one?
2. This vbox apparently works with the big fatdoggy, mine is only a puppy-slacko 5.7.0 Do you think I can try on my machine?
3. Can I install this vbox and then put 'Windows TinyXP Rev09'?

Sorry to be pestering, but want to make sure....

thanks again seniors. Apparently I am with a nicer OS?
Hi mekalu2k4,
1) If you have working Vbox. Don't need to get latest just download the extension pack corresponding to your Vbox version. It's available on that link. Just pace it on your Hard drive, start Vbox program, Click on preferences and on the left side click Extensions. On the right side, click the add package icon and then in the selection screen go to where you kept downloaded extension pack for your version of Vbox and click on it to install it.
2) Not necessarily, the link I provided click on " VirtualBox 4.3.12 for Linux hosts", then on the page that opens look at "All distributions i386 | AMD64".
For your slacko 5.7.0 which is a 32bit OS click on "i386" and download the 32bit version that should work on your machine. The Fatdog is 64bit puppy and it or any other 64Bit linux Distro need to click on "AMD64" and get 64Bit version of Vbox.
3) Yes you can. Visualization softwares are the best things to try out different OSes with out messy installs or Dual bootings, You could test them inside your working OS.

I have ran Windows7, Ubuntu, Mint, Kolibre OS, Tails, and lots more Puppies.
But I have mainly used 64bit Fatdog64-630 as host OS and I mostly use Qemu. So I could run 32bit and 64bit guests seamlessly.
I am not sure about the other way around. ( 64bit guests in 32bit host)

Hope that helps.

Thanks

- Neeraj
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

ttuuxxx

#12 Post by ttuuxxx »

I've been using slacko 5.7 for over a month, I don't shut down my pc, so Its been running 24/7, It hasn't crashed at all. Its stable, If you find a stable version of puppy keep using, Puppy is pretty secure, The only maybe things you might want to update in the future is your browser and flash. You won't need to upgrade the operating system for years if you choose.
Jeff
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

Yo ttuuxxx :)

My linux usage is normally on slax6/puppy 4/ lenny era systems.... now looking at moving to something around the Lucid period.

Some do manically chase the wind in linux land and feel the need for this weeks bleeding edge bugs and there are some alternative adgendas creeping in too which tend to have a bit of a sour taste to them... I won't mention names.

As mentioned...if it ain't broke don't change it.... I just happen have machines from 2000 that refuse to die also :D and newer ones that fly on unbloated software....why get nice technology and bog it down with crap?

mike

neerajkolte

#14 Post by neerajkolte »

sorry wrong post
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

mekalu2k4

Puppy Slacko 5.7.0 can be kept for long

#15 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Very good post, somehow I liked it.
mikeb wrote:Yo ttuuxxx :)

My linux usage is normally on slax6/puppy 4/ lenny era systems.... now looking at moving to something around the Lucid period.

Some do manically chase the wind in linux land and feel the need for this ...

As mentioned...if it ain't broke don't change it.... I just happen have machines from 2000 that refuse to die also :D and newer ones that fly on unbloated software....why get nice technology and bog it down with crap?
mike
this tells me that Linux is totally different from Winx in terms of length of use, need to update, bloat-ware etc. and then we have users keeping their 14 or 15 year old machines in usable conditions!

Then most imp statement- "why get nice technology and bog it down with crap?" - Yes, it is so true, this was my point in one of my posts earlier. We see so many parameters when we buy a laptop, then read several reviews, ask so many questions on Amazon or wherever. At the end these machines are shipped with a whole lot of crap.

Anyway, I am not inclined to criticize Winx OS, I used it for long. But really all that 'fuss' and 'stress' about using Winx is not really necessary and very well can be avoided. It is all about people making their choices.

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Yes realising you have choices is the breakthrough and then the purchasing treadmill vanishes.

I still use windows 2000 ... sometimes XP...

Those old machines in terms of productivity are not far behind this weeks shiny new gadget that runs ok for a few weeks before getting slower and slower. And the best bit is the software is absolved from any warrenty I assume as they fully expect it to break.

An 8 year old newly acquired lenovo laptop is our power machine .... older machines make sense especially for linux use due to hardware driver lag. They also escape the lead free solder problem of such as detaching video chips.

Eventually time does march on and they will go the way of every other piece of obsolete gear but I do think such technology can last a bit more than a year or two.

mike

mekalu2k4

#17 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi Mike,

I agree to your point that using Linux saves lot of money in terms of 'forced buying' due to software upgrades/ updates.

But you wrote "An 8 year old newly acquired lenovo laptop is our power machine" something that suggests you in fact purchased a very old laptop and it is working fine? - Is that right? More details on this please especially cost, specs source of purchase (like ebay or something), and overall experience.

Looking for a lightweight 17.3 inch-big screen used laptop. Any suggestions? Especially - Puppy 5.7.0 should work on it perfectly, all my family is now on Puppy 5.7.0

Regards,
Mekalu

slavvo67

#18 Post by slavvo67 »

Going back to the original question, I'd say about 1 hour. Yep, an hour....

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

Ok with slacko something newer is probably ok...intel onboard video was a linux headache for a while.

I seem to find ex business machines give the best deal. On ebay I find batches of them from companies who buy a job lot, check them over and sell out the ok ones.... these are machines that were expensive when new rather than built on a budget to sell in PC world and supermarkets.
You will also find better long term support, spares available and good documentation.

Its also worth noting that such companies usually give a limited warrenty in spite of them being second hand. They also tend to go for a buy it now price which to me is less hassle than waiting on a bid that you then lose and find they go for the same price anyway.

If you want good gaming support then there are variations with onboard nvidia or ati graphics.

Thats just one approach and outlet...

rokytnji

#20 Post by rokytnji »

Just watched a Dell 620 with dual core processors, 4 gig of ram, 120gig hard drive with no operating system. AC adapter included. Boots to bios. No warranty on battery.

$61.00, $18.00 to ship.

Not 17 inch screen though. Ebay is USA.

You mean something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Laptop-Tablet-C ... Brand=Dell

or?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Laptop-Tablet-C ... lot&_frs=1

Getting Picky like 17 inch screen limits choices somewhat.

My wife loves her Dell E4310 , i5, 8gig ram, 500 gig hard drive, Windows 7
enterprise laptop that I bought her for $200.00 from a corp. resale (it is over now
so don't ask).

I could not find another at that price so I settled on a Acer C710
dual core, 4gig ram, 16gig SSD ChromeBook instead for $119.00 (refurbished professionally).

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 457-36036/

It was cheaper than a good keg of beer or a card board box.

@mikeb :cry: I have not sold the pcmcia wireless , 1000Hz, 512MB ram, 30gig hard drive, 4 port pcmcia (2usb 2.0, 2 firewire), IBMA22M with XP on it for $45.00 yet in my one horse town yet.

Welfare makes it hard here to even dig up $45.00. Hell. I even included a 2.14xxxx top ten cd
and a very nice laptop bag to go with it.

There I go. Off topic as Usual. Maybe I oughta put Salix on it and just keep the sucker.