I want to be bold with a small text editor.

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
nooby

I want to be bold with a small text editor.

#1 Post by nooby »

For many months now I have tried to find a small text editor
that can do something like this without me needing html code
by hand?
<b> Bold</b> to actual do the manual edit.Bold
I had hoped that Geany could if I just get an easy instruction
and maybe it can but I don't know how to do it.

I guess Abiword should be able to but fail to get how one does it there too.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

don570

#2 Post by don570 »

You should learn to use Seamonkey Composer program that
Barry K puts in his Puppies.

I don't know HTML language so I just copy another person's
template. That way I was able to put bold characters and
internet links into a document.

amigo

#3 Post by amigo »

By definition, a text editor does no text formatting. In order to have BOLD and other such in a text document, you must use a word-processor like Open Office, etc.

Puppus Dogfellow

#4 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

this thing is supposed to make it easier. it's on one of my puppies by default (i think--don't remember ever adding it); i searched for it here and in the relatively long process of finding it (took twenty minutes or so), i came across a thread that had a post with someone's script to add the ability to add tags to highlighted text with the typical ctrl+b type short cuts. sorry nooby, but i tried and have been so far unable to track that post down.

guess i should've bookmarked it or something.

:? :oops:

have you looked at wordgrinder?
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Sun 01 Jun 2014, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

Makoto

#5 Post by Makoto »

amigo wrote:By definition, a text editor does no text formatting. In order to have BOLD and other such in a text document, you must use a word-processor like Open Office, etc.
I believe nooby's looking for something to automatically insert the HTML tags for the styles, rather than apply them to the text in WYSIWYG mode.

Most HTML editors should basically do that, and you should be able to see the tags (assuming you're not working in WYSIWYG mode, like Composer and its variants default to, if I remember correctly).

I don't know if a text editor could have macros set up to bracket highlighted text with HTML tags, if you're only working with a small but common number of tags, though I suppose it's possible. Still, you're probably better off sticking with a "true" HTML editor than trying to edit or create HTML with only a text editor, for the time being.
Last edited by Makoto on Sun 01 Jun 2014, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

Back in the late 90s I started using Linux while keeping Windows. I wanted to make documents portable between the two operating systems.

To accomplish this, I abandoned Word and made as many documents in text format as needs would allow. If I wanted features not available in text format, such as font changes, bolding, margins, centering I would us Composer.

The only problems were the line endings, DOS uses CRLF and X uses only LF. But for the most part the line endings were not a problem as the editors I was using often made the conversion seamlessly.

Don570 recommended Composer and I think I'll do the same.

I can write basic HTML by hand, but it is so much easier to use WYSIWYG. To edit the tags and do search and replace as well as other things where doing by hand is desirable you can use a good text editor or the one included with Composer

Puppus Dogfellow

#7 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79573

nooby
PostPosted: Sat 31 May 2014, 12:11 Post subject: [Note] I want to be bold with a small text editor.
For many months now I have tried to find a small text editor
that can do something like this without me needing html code
by hand?
<b> Bold</b> to actual do the manual edit.Bold
I had hoped that Geany could if I just get an easy instruction
and maybe it can but I don't know how to do it.

I guess Abiword should be able to but fail to get how one does it there too.
found it, nooby. third and fourth posts of that thread.

NWP (the nooby word processor)

the above zipped folder is miriam's bold script plus several others made from it: italics, superscript, subscript, underline, strike through, small, large...i think that's it. they work best when dragged to a panel or the desktop. i included some icons i just made, but they're fairly lame.

tested in geany, xpad, and leafpad.

(Nooby's word processor is a wrapper around a text processor. it works well despite being thrown together by a noob. geany can export as html, and google drive, for example, can convert that into an actual word processing file. text processors are extremely reliable from what i've seen...and geany's got its own file tree view, tabs, and pull down menu...)

thanks for the inspiration, nooby (and the code, miriam). it's something i've wondered about myself, "why can't i just use the text editor for word processing..."

wonder if it's possible to get it to export to rtf or something like that...

the required xdotools.pet is included in the 47kb download.