partview errors using the DETAILS button

Using applications, configuring, problems
8-bit

partview errors using the DETAILS button

#1 Post by 8-bit »

I normally do not play a lot with options in some of Puppy's utilities.
But I was running Puppy Lupu 520 and decided to try some of the options in partview.
When I would select DETAILS and choose a partition, I would get a blank xdialog window with no information shown.
From there, I opened /tmp/xerrs.log I saw that the du command was complaining about parameters such as:

du: invalid option -- 'd'
du: invalid option -- '1'
Try `du --help' for more information.

So I think those invalid options were stopping du from working and resulting in the empty xdialog window in DETAILS.

Can someone verify this and is there a solution other than editing the partview file and removing the invalid options?

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Just to be clear, you are using the new Partview from here.

Read Note #2.
This feature only works in recent Puppies.

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

rcrsn51 wrote:Just to be clear, you are using the new Partview from here.

Read Note #2.
This feature only works in recent Puppies.
That is the version of partview I am using.
And as I stated, I am using it with Lupu 520.
So are you saying that the du command changed in later versions to include more options?
When I run it from a terminal, the du part never completes as it kicks out the feedback I showed in my first post.
If I make a modified script excluding those options, it will show the files in a directory with sizes of them.

And I would have thought that Lupu 520 was not that old.

Also, I was giving insight into why the DETAILS part of partview failed to complete in Lupu 520.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

8-bit wrote:So are you saying that the du command changed in later versions to include more options?
Yes.
If I make a modified script excluding those options, it will show the files in a directory with sizes of them.
That's true. But I find it more useful to see the total sizes of the top-level directories, instead of all the individual files. The new versions of du can do this.

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

Well, I just renamed du in Lupu520 and then copied du from Precise 5.7.1 to that location and DETAILS in partview now work.
It is interesting that Barry did not use the latest version in Precise 5.7.1 though.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks. I have added a link to this discussion in the Partview 2014 thread.