Printer not recognized after transferring Slacko

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
NETTKNUT

Printer not recognized after transferring Slacko

#1 Post by NETTKNUT »

This message was previously posted on the users forum. As I did not get a reply I am posting it again on hardware/printers.
I am in the process of transferring slacko5.3.3 to an alternative machine with a faster 3GHz cpu but cannot get my printer properly recognised. I have downloaded and installed the hplips printer package for my HP psc 1205. When I 'add new printer' only a pdf printer is recognised. I attempted to print a test page but got the error message 'stopped - usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups failed' I had previously tried to modify some of the cups conf files so suspect this may be the source of the trouble. How do I go back to thr beginning and uninstall all the cups files? Other local printers shown are SCSI printer, LPT #1 and pdf writer/PDF. My printer is connected by a USB lead so the LPT#1 printer at least is irrelevant. Any suggestions welcome so I can start printing. On my old machine everything had been running OK.

rcrsn51

Re: cups

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

NETTKNUT wrote:On my old machine everything had been running OK.
You have not explained how you are transferring slacko. Are you starting from scratch? Is this a frugal install and you are just copying the files? I would do a clean install with no save file and try to install the printer.
I have downloaded and installed the hplips printer package for my HP psc 1205.
Please state exactly what package this is.
When I 'add new printer' only a pdf printer is recognised.
If the USB printer is not being detected, this is a hardware problem.
I attempted to print a test page but got the error message 'stopped - usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups failed'
This makes no sense. If your printer was not detected, how did you try to install it?
I had previously tried to modify some of the cups conf files so suspect this may be the source of the trouble.
Then your only course of action is a clean install.

NETTKNUT

cups

#3 Post by NETTKNUT »

To rcrsn51 Thanks for the reply and informative comments. I have decided to reinstall cups. Do I have to delete all the cups folders including the cups folder itself?

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

NETTKNUT wrote:TI have decided to reinstall cups. Do I have to delete all the cups folders including the cups folder itself?
Your chances of fixing this problem by trying to reinstall CUPS are just about zero.

At the very least, you should do a temporary clean install by booting off the Slacko CD with "puppy pfix=ram". Then run CUPS and see if the printer is detected.

Since you didn't answer any of my questions, there is nothing else I can do for you.

NETTKNUT

cups

#5 Post by NETTKNUT »

Thanks for the reply. The reason why I did not reply to your questions was that I was primarily guided by your final comment
Then your only course of action is a clean install.
As you afterwards suggested I did a temporary clean install off the slacko cd with pfix=ram and, as you predicted, on running CUPS found the problem was still there. Anyway it was worth trying and determining that the problem was insolvable without a clean install. Thanks.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

NETTKNUT wrote: I did a temporary clean install off the slacko cd with pfix=ram and, as you predicted, on running CUPS found the problem was still there.
Is that what you meant to say? Then this is a hardware/USB issue.

Boot up again off the CD and run the command "lsusb". Does it detect your printer?

NETTKNUT

cups

#7 Post by NETTKNUT »

Thanks for the reply. I am unacquainted with the

Code: Select all

[color=green][/color]
lsusb
command but the reply did not refer to my printer. It stated 'Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub' Bus 002 - Bus 005 were similar but referenced ID 1d6B:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub. From what you say this is a hardware/USB issue. Am I right?

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

If the "lsusb" command cannot detect your printer, then CUPS won't detect it either.

Power down your printer. Unplug and replug the USB cables. Power up. Check lsusb again.