Wireless drivers in AnitaOS?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
darry1966

Wireless drivers in AnitaOS?

#1 Post by darry1966 »

Wanted 1 or 2 Eager Beavers with the skills of a Linux God to compile new drivers for wireless cards as I am unable to compile from source, so hence the request: The 2 versions of anitaos are based on Gpup4.12 and 4.12 Barebones.
Last edited by darry1966 on Sat 08 Feb 2014, 17:41, edited 2 times in total.

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

You 'maintain' how many 'distros' and are unable to compile even kernel modules???

darry1966

#3 Post by darry1966 »

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

So did you find the answer to your question there or what?

darry1966

#5 Post by darry1966 »

Flash wrote:So did you find the answer to your question there or what?
Seems to be the appropriate place for people needing wireless drivers so answer sort of.

I'll leave it that thanks.

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

Beware! As I've tried to tell newcomers to this forum repeatedly:
kernel modules (drivers) are highly kernel version-sensitive. They must be compiled against the exact kernel they are to be used with.

From the previously linked forum thread -
starhawk wrote:I was using an SMP version of AnitaOS
that's the issue.
So there's an "SMP" version of AnitaOS? Clearly this means it has a different kernel configuration ...
so what chance do you think my "standard" Puppy 4.1x drivers have of being compatible with this kernel ????

darry1966

#7 Post by darry1966 »

I have asked for help and clearly from the response that isn't going to happen so as I said I'll leave it that I thought I was part of a community clearly I was wrong.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

You asked for help and left it at that. You've been a member of this forum for two years and made 277 posts. Surely you know by now that someone wanting help with hardware has to be more specific than just saying "Help!" Give us something to work with. Do you expect a driver to be compiled for every kernel and every wireless adapter that's available?

You didn't even tell us what you tried that didn't work. :?

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

darry1966 wrote:I have asked for help
You were helped. Forum member starhawk asked fo the Realtek 8712u wifi driver, compatible with Puppy 4.1x ... which he thought was compatible with AnitaOS.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 766#756766
I provided that driver in the very next post, less than 24 hours later (ie. I provided "help") ...
but then starhawk revealed that there's more than just one version of AnitaOS, and there are at least 2 different kernel versions ...

I'm simply pointing out this critical piece of information, since my drivers will be compatible only with the official Puppy 4.1x/4.2x kernel, for the benefit of newcomers who don't know this critical information already, and others with limited knowledge of Linux.

darry1966

#10 Post by darry1966 »

First up thank you Tempestuous for helping Starhawk

Ok let me start from the beginning.

for the last year I have been working on Anitaos by myself without asking for help as a labour of love to help others who need something a bit more up to date than Damn Small Linux I saw a 4.12 based distro as filling that gap and with little knowledge started playing around and slowly updating it here and there compiling or converting software from other sources like Slackware to work with anitaos. It is everyone knows based on 2 modified ISO's 4.12 barebones and Gpup which has an SMP Kernel

I was simply asking for help with the compiling of wireless drivers for new devices an example is Starhawk who asked for help with his Wireless device it was frustrating that my skills do not extend to helping him and with this in mind it would nice to have someone on board who can help by compiling a driver for anyone who requests it for either of the 2 kernels for newer wireless devices. I guess what I am saying is it is hard doing a project like this alone and if I had someone to join the project in this capacity it would be appreciated as I haven't "from source compiling skills".

I admit I haven't tried to compile any drivers for the 4.12barebones or Gpup SMP Kernels, I just simply don't know where to start so my first post was I guess a recruitment drive done in a humerous way if I have offended anyone then sorry I only wish to help others and need assistance to achieve that.

By the way I had fun learning along the way but I guess my ambition outweighs my skill level. If anyone would like to help out then thats cool if not then thats cool too.

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

tempestuous, I can confirm that the driver you gave me works with the 412barebones-derived (NonSMP) version of AnitaOS. Credit to mikeb for figuring out what the problem was.

I can also confirm that the driver does NOT work with an SMP-enabled version of AnitaOS, which --if I'm reading the post right-- derives from GPup (which I've never heard of).

darry1966, perhaps for now, you could recommend most folks try the NonSMP version first, somehow?

Also, I'd offer to help if I could -- but any attempt of mine to use make or similar, inevitably ends in disaster... IIRC I've had exactly one instance where it didn't error out in spectacular fashion, and I chalk that up to sheer luck and fortune. Of course, if I knew what I was doing... ;)

EDIT: darry1966 -- one other thing -- do I understand correctly that AnitaOS is essentially a remaster of 412barebones (for the NonSMP version) and GPup (for the SMP version), in that all you've done is added packages and generated an ISO...?

darry1966

#12 Post by darry1966 »

starhawk wrote:darry1966, perhaps for now, you could recommend most folks try the NonSMP version first, somehow?

-- do I understand correctly that AnitaOS is essentially a remaster of 412barebones (for the NonSMP version) and GPup (for the SMP version), in that all you've done is added packages and generated an ISO...?"
Thanks. Starhawk I am glad you got the help you required.

In answer to your question, I used woofy to generate the ISO's and yes they are remasters of 2 of my favourite puppies in what started out as homeage to these great pups I added some stuff from Wary like QT and glib2.22 the glibc 2.10 from mywolfe and then I converted Debian squeeze SDL Libraries for games as well as the later Gtkam from Squeeze and other debian Squeeze libraries for games such as libstdc 6_4.4.5-8 and various other libraries. Most of the programs are like my Audacious Classic are converted from Debian and slackware etc so there is a lot work gone into it. However with all that said and done the kernels are original and firmware etc.

Anyway it was also a great project to help get through a bad work situation that happened by focusing on trying to help others and enjoy having a project to work on and learn at the same time,

As for the SMP/Non-SMP thing I have made that clear on my sourceforge site and as for the comments by a member about not being able to compile wireless drivers well everybody in a community as different abilities and I know what mine are and I'm happy with that. Anyway Starhawk I wish you the best and happy computing.

Pelo

AnitaOS loaded

#13 Post by Pelo »

Wireless drivers ? I test AnitaOs. Wireles drivers ; there is a solution. I come back
No wireless problems.
AnitaOS is empty, no applications ? I don't keep. Sorry.

darry1966

Re: AnitaOS loaded

#14 Post by darry1966 »

Pelo wrote:Wireless drivers ? I test AnitaOs. Wireles drivers ; there is a solution. I come back
No wireless problems.
AnitaOS is empty, no applications ? I don't keep. Sorry.
Using a build as you go DIY approach.
Built on top of the Puppy Linux 4 series. It is Barebones there are other apps on the sight which if you clicked on Browse all files then on the Anitaos folder you'd see these
http://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos/files/Anitaos/

On the project page I have stated where to get the extra software, I am sorry anitaos didn't work out for you.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos/