Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 26 Oct 2014, 05:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Here's a Guide to run Multiple PUPs simultaneously - KVM
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Whitesnow

PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2014, 12:24    Post_subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
neerajkolte wrote:

The new qemu v2.0 sfs and pet didn't work in Fatdog64-630.
When sfs is loaded all system fonts change to square blocks had hard time unloading the sfs. Problem went away when after unloading.

That's because the SFS keeps keeps stuff in /usr/etc instead of /etc.

So a couple of links could fix, I wonder.
Anyway, I've just compiled again (in Fatdog64 and correcting paths) 2.0.0. It works for LHP, too. I've tested both.
Please, note that this one will be, probably, my last effort in QEMU support for Puppy, because my hardware is going dated (I cannot use QEMU anymore since last versions, I can only make a very slow X-test after compiling). So, all my last packages were a gift for community, not usable by me.
I'm going to upload, on my repo, new packages (SFS and PET) in the next hours. Check availability in this thread, monitor for updates: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88604.
For those of you that have still downloaded old SFS, to avoid mistakes, this is md5 checksum of the new one: ffe06d0edb37de3edf4797463053875b.

jamesbond wrote:
Whitesnow wrote:
Fatdog64 is based on Ubuntu
Fatdog64 is based on T2-build, similar to Puppy Wary/Racy (but 64-bit while Racy/Wary is 32-bit), not Slackware or Ubuntu.

I remembered that someone talked about what I wrote (I read that), maybe because, in the past, Fatdog64 wasn't build in pure T2 like it is now.

jamesbond wrote:
Whitesnow wrote:
I compiled QEMU for LHP 64 bit, that is based on Slackware binaries
LHP64 is a derivative of Fatdog64, with a lot of additional programs and libraries (and polish!) on top of Fatdog base. It is *not* based on Slackware. The problem is exactly that - LHP64 has many additional libs that Fatdog doesn't have.

Let me say what I read, one more time. LHP64 is, nowadays, based on Fatdog64 kernel (thank to you and Kirk), but core packages are from Slackware (glibc, gtk, cups, xorg-server and dependencies). This condition is relevant in our topic, as my old QEMU package compiled in LHP, as I just tested, can't run in Fatdog64 not only for lack of libraries, but for dissimilarity of glibc version, too.

Bye.

jamesbond

PostPosted: Sat 10 May 2014, 14:17    Post_subject:  

Whitesnow, I can only say thank you for your service to the community here. My previous post was meant as a clarification for everyone concerned - not to discourage you at all.

I don't understand, though, why qemu 2.0 is giving you problem? I haven't tried it myself (I'm still on 1.6.2 - don't see the need to upgrade) but as far as I know if you don't enable kvm then it should work even on older machines without hardware VT-assist; and qemu is well known to have decent speed even without acceleration.

gcmartin

PostPosted: Sat 10 May 2014, 15:25    Post_subject: Slacko64/FD630/LightHouse64 - tested stable n KVM kernel use  

Version 2.0 PET from @WhiteSnow works in Slacko64, FD630 and LH64-602b. The steps tested for each distro were the approaches shown in the Guide.

Simple to use
To use QEMU V2+, instead of the older PPM versions to gain QEMU on your system (shown in the Guide), advance to the bottom of the Guide, select and download QEMU V2, and install.

Also, note, that current versions of, both, QEMU by Puppy member @WhiteSnow and QEMU Launcher by Puppy member @MikeB can be obtained by the links in the Guide.

Here to help

gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2014, 05:47    Post_subject:  

Update 1
step

PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2014, 07:35    Post_subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
Update 1: The guide contains tested procedure for sharing content that the "Host" distro has with a distro running in the "Guest".

Thanks. The guide seems to imply that one can use FatDog64 to connect a share via the SAMBA server subsystem. It includes a picture of a desktop menu selection of Network>Samba Simple Management. I can't find such a tool in FatDog64-631. Is it an additional pet for FatDog?

gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2014, 17:46    Post_subject:  

Hello @Step
step wrote:
... I can't find such a tool in FatDog64-631. Is it an additional pet for FatDog?
That tool, shown in the Guide, is one that is included in all Slacko64 and LightHouse64. It was developed by 01Micko 4 years ago to make life so very simple for Puppy Linux users to understand and share a folder with its LAN community of users. Thus Slacko and LightHouse64 users have it so easy with almost little thought to do this sharing from its desktop.

FATDOG64 is a bit behind the times as it uses an older SAMBA and it does NOT approach users the same way. FATDOG also has not adopted 01Micko's simple solution at this time.

But, I think, I can help. Do this and report what you see.
  1. Open a terminal on FATDOG
  2. Paste the results on this command to this thread
    Code:
    bash-4.1# smbclient -U% -L localhost
Someone will respond

UPDATE
I will make changes in the Guide for FATDOG in a pristine state. Your answer for FATDOG sharing is here.

Here to help

ETP

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2014, 15:25    Post_subject: KVM Host Operation  

I am posting this as a warning to others not to make the same mistake as I did which resulted in initial failure. Embarassed
There is nothing wrong with gcmartin’s excellent guide but it needs to be followed exactly. The bash test in the guide which should indicate vmx or svm was passed and having a recent PC, I falsely assumed that KVM would be enabled in the BIOS. It was not and that test merely shows “capability”. I have no idea why it should be disabled by default on a new PC.
The attached screenshot shows it now enabled. Please note also that Intel refer to it as “Vanderpool Technology”.
Asus_Bios.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   54.04 KB
 Viewed   296 Time(s)

Asus_Bios.jpg

mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2014, 15:31    Post_subject:  

Yes it appears common that virtualisation is disabled in the bios.... in my case I would have to update the bios and the default is disabled after that.

After all why would anyone want to run anything other than windows 8...so lets make sure they cannot.
Reminds me of when usb booting was disabled in new machines..

Mike
gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2014, 20:49    Post_subject:  

In looking over the thread, I think this post may have been missed. I will attempt to help.
slavvo67 wrote:
I read between the lines and note you mentioned 64bit. Does this mean a 32 bit will not have this ability? I'm still leaning towards the 32 bit pups ...
The Guide was built and tested with the 64bit PUP distros shown. Once one of those PUPs is setup using the procedures in the Guide, the PUP will allow anyone to boot "any" x86 distro's ISO you might have...ANY.
slavvo67 wrote:
... Considering that I have a hundred or so cd's burned, this might be a nice alternative and certainly a more environmentally friendly one.
Correct. This means that you can use a single 64bit PC to run several virtual PCs at the same time. This is great for additional booting a test ISO or booting one for a special mission like banking or like a TOR or ... or ... or ...

This is easy and simple to do.

Hope this is helpful

P.S. The Guide was created using 64bit PUP PCs because most every non-ATOM PC, even some ATOMs, too, has adequate resources for a successful KVM venture with no trouble. There are 32bits which carry the KVM feature, but I leave that for user evaluation and testing. Thus, the intent is to provide a Guide with the greatest opportunity for user success and NO frustrations.

gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul 2014, 16:41    Post_subject: A 32bit Puppy with most everything builtin  

Important Note: EmSeeV2 is the very first (1st) 32bit PUPPY distro that come with EVERYTHING preinstalled (OOTB) to immediately boot other distros, once on the EmSeeV2 desktop.

A tremendous speed increase is made available, primarily, thru the inclusion of the kernel's KVM module that some/many PC CPUs have from the factory.

There is an issue with hostname. FirstRUN is the simplest and best that resolves the problem without taking other steps and having to reboot EmSeeV2. Care must be taken should you want to ALSO run a 2nd EmSeeV2 as a VMguest while also running EmSeeV2 as the main system (VM host); or if you want to run several VMguests on an internal (to VM host) network with the VMguests LAN linked to each other.

Take it for a spin. I will bring an updated User Guide showing a one step boot a distro via the EmSeeV2 Menu, soon.

Here to help

Edited_time_total
stemsee

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul 2014, 20:54    Post_subject:  

On the desktop bottom right corner click setup > gui opens next click internet , another gui opens.... on the bottom right of that gui is the hostname, type any hostname in the field and click the big green tick! There hostname resolved!
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul 2014, 01:30    Post_subject:  

Thanks @StemSee. I posted on the EmSee thread to show a bug in EmSeeV2 hostname processing. But, for all VMguests a user boots which has FirstRUN, this hostname issue does not exist in the system's fields or in the LAN announcements to set pathways by name.

The QEMU features do indeed work on this 32bit distro.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum