Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#2641 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:EDIT: Just checked, and xhippo setup is fine whatever happens. I already coded the current backend player of xhippo (xhplay) to use mplayer part of gnome-mplayer for flac if the flac encoder/decoder wasn't installed (though I think it is good to leave flac installed anyway). So wouldn't need any changes to /etc/skel.
Thanks, William, it's good to know xhippo will work if gmplayer is replaced with different version from the user.

Toni

saintless

#2642 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Small fix that prevents this message from Firehol (it is not critical and Firehol will work but maybe other programs will need this file also):

Code: Select all

IMPORTANT WARNING:
 ------------------
 FireHOL cannot find your current kernel configuration.
 Please, either compile your kernel with /proc/config,
 or make sure there is a valid kernel config in:
 /usr/src/linux/.config

Because of this, FireHOL will simply attempt to load
 all kernel modules for the services used, without
 being able to detect failures.
Add config-3.2.0-4-486 inside /boot
Extract it from here or from the attached archive:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... d.squashfs
Then Firehol if it is installed will not give IMPORTANT WARNING: anymore:

root@debian:~# /etc/init.d/firehol start 
][....] Starting Firewall: firehol
root@debian:~#  
Firehol is removed from JWM version but it is good to have the kernel config file included.

Toni
Attachments
boot.zip
(33.4 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

Sylvander

#2643 Post by Sylvander »

I'm seeing the above "IMPORTANT WARNING" when booting DebianDog "Porteus RAM save".
Any chance of addressing this over in that thread?

saintless

#2644 Post by saintless »

Sylvander wrote:Any chance of addressing this over in that thread?
No, because this is fixed in the updated iso which will be uploaded in a few days with most of the fixes on the first page in DebianDog beta version thread. And also because Firehol is removed in the updated version.

But this information is added in DebianDog HowTo thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 473#774473
And it is taken from google searching warning text. Anything Firehol related is easier to be found outside Puppy linux forum.

Sylvander

#2645 Post by Sylvander »

OK, thank you. :D

saintless

#2646 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

I think I'm ready to make new Jwm/IceWM iso. I will use the boot code as you posted in previous page.
Waiting for your word and still testing if I can find something more to fix.

Toni

anikin

#2647 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni and everyone,

In Puppy it's easy to mount sfs, iso files by a click of the mouse. The script, that's doing this - filemnt, as I just have discovered, is written by sunburnt. Is there a way to make it work in DD?

edit

Hi Fred,

Is there a way to make remasterdog display the original name of the file, so that I can modify it, rather than type a new name? I mistyped the name the other day and lost an hour scratching my head and wondering why it wouldn't boot :(
Attachments
filemnt.gz
(8.98 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

saintless

#2648 Post by saintless »

anikin wrote:In Puppy it's easy to mount sfs, iso files by a click of the mouse. The script, that's doing this - filemnt, as I just have discovered, is written by sunburnt. Is there a way to make it work in DD?
Actually DebianDog uses a small modified part of this script and does the same job. Click on sfs, squashfs, iso opens new XFE window with the content of mounted file. Closing the XFE window auto-unmounts.
You can see the mount point in /media
The script is /opt/bin/mnt-img
Terry wrote new version for DebianDog which mounts on first click and unmounts on second click (like in puppy) and opens Rox window. Just rename in /opt/bin mnt-img to mnt-img-old and mnt-img-0 to mnt-img to use this version if you prefer.
Is there a way to make remasterdog display the original name of the file, so that I can modify it, rather than type a new name? I mistyped the name the other day and lost an hour scratching my head and wondering why it wouldn't boot :(
Fred will answer better but I think if you edit this line in RemasterDog (line 14 but maybe not in your version since I use updated script). It is one line (not two as it appears in this post):

--field="Type name for module with extension \n(e.g. 01-remaster.squashfs or 01-remaster.xzm):" "01-filesystem.squashfs" \
01-filesystem.squashfs will auto appear in module name field (but you still can rename it if needed).

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Thu 15 May 2014, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

anikin

#2649 Post by anikin »

Toni,

As I use Rox not Xfe, i might have missed it ... confused and ashamed. Which leads me to think, that maybe at this stage, to facilitate wider acceptance, DD needs to be more JWM/Rox oriented? I know, neither is your choice, though. Just a thought.

saintless

#2650 Post by saintless »

Hi, Anikin.

Rox setup also is to open sfs, squashfs and iso the same way with single click, but it opens new XFE window. If you rename mnt-img-2 to mnt-img it will open new Rox window.

I use mostly XFE but all we add to xfe is added for Rox also as option like install deb package, make deb from folder, gdmap-preview, extract deb package... All is available as right click option for Rox and XFE.

I do not know much about Rox setup but all Rox suggested improvements are included in the new iso. These two for example:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 513#773513
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 934#773934

Toni

fredx181

#2651 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:I think I'm ready to make new Jwm/IceWM iso. I will use the boot code as you posted in previous page.
Waiting for your word and still testing if I can find something more to fix.
Ok, tomorrow during the day I'll make new iso.

anikin, what Toni answered about "fixed" entry for module : 01-filesystem.squashfs was perfectly alright.

Fred

anikin

#2652 Post by anikin »

saintless wrote:Actually DebianDog uses a small modified part of this script and does the same job. Click on sfs, squashfs, iso opens new XFE window with the content of mounted file. Closing the XFE window auto-unmounts.
You can see the mount point in /media
The script is /opt/bin/mnt-img
Terry wrote new version for DebianDog which mounts on first click and unmounts on second click (like in puppy) and opens Rox window. Just rename in /opt/bin mnt-img to mnt-img-old and mnt-img-2 to mnt-img to use this version if you prefer
Hi Tony,

Did another remaster with above changes. Now, a click mounts a squashfs file, another click unmounts it. All is good except, a new Rox window *does not* open, but I can see the mount point in media.

Hi Fred,

I did change line 14 in remasterdog - the script was good before, now it's even better. One more little change will make it absolutely perfect. Can we have /tmp as the first/default choice? My reasoning being, the user will have the best/fastest option if he forgets to check the field and the script checks for available space in /tmp anyway. No harm will be done?

Thank you guys for your hard work.

saintless

#2653 Post by saintless »

anikin wrote:
...mnt-img-2 to mnt-img...
Did another remaster with above changes. Now, a click mounts a squashfs file, another click unmounts it. All is good except, a new Rox window *does not* open, but I can see the mount point in media.
Sorry, Anikin, my mistake. I corrected also the previous post.
Rename mnt-img-0 to mnt-img. It opens new Rox window for sfs and squashfs. I think it does not do that for iso. mnt-img-1 and 2 are updated versions of mnt-img-0.
Existing in the iso default mnt-img is different from mnt-img-0, 1 and 2.

Toni

fredx181

#2654 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Now I am in trouble :)
I made final remaster, everything good except that the RAM usage at start is a lot higher (was 48 now 64)
That's a big difference and I don't know yet what's the reason.
I have a previous squashfs and I'll try that now and if it's ok, I'll need to update that one with latest changes.

I'll let you know how it goes.

anikin, I'll look at it to make /tmp as first but I'm not sure yet if it's a good idea.
You have a lot of memory but for those who haven't it can bring problems.
Here's how you can change it:
change line 12 from this:

--field="  Choose drive to create module on::CB" "$DEVS!/tmp" \
To this:

--field="  Choose drive to create module on::CB" "/tmp!$DEVS" \
Fred

saintless

#2655 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred :)

Take your time and write if I can help with something.

I also have to test again something for user account. I changed /opt/bin/gsu to execute sudo and the original gsu is now gsu-root in JWM version. Now all works as it should but it becomes complicated to follow what is executed and from what script.
RemasterCow and RemasterDog use gsu-root and all other programs gsu(sudo). It is not final since I search for better solution so you do not change anything in OpenBox version. I will probably bring back original gsu as it was in next versions but I need to reconfigure many executable and desktop files and I will probably mess up something if I do it now.

I will make further deb packages that need gsu with "ktsuss -u root" inside desktop file to be sure they will work on both versions and in any case for user account.

Toni

fredx181

#2656 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
First, new DebianDog-Porteus-openbox_xfce-beta.iso:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing

Now, what happened:
It appeared that nothing was wrong with final remaster.
I made from time to time a new remaster with gz compression.
Also during that time there was a very large "changes" folder in /live (I had that in use for a lot of experimenting)
When booting during all that time with the gz compressed squashfs (using changes.dat savefile) all was fine.
But when I made final squashfs with xz compression and booting with that, the RAM usage suddenly increased that much.
So when I deleted the /live/changes folder and rebooted, RAM usage was normal.
Very strange isn't it?

There's included in iso new gnome-mplayer and also I replaced mplayer by mplayer2 (I compiled myself), total size 12MB (was before 19MB for gnome-mplayer package).
I didn't want to delay the new iso releases for that but I'll come back on it and share new mplayer for testing in next post.

Fred

saintless

#2657 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Toni,
First, new DebianDog-Porteus-openbox_xfce-beta.iso:
Downloading now, Fred. I will post information in the main thread when the replacement is done. Do you want to add some more information about changes in openbox version?
So when I deleted the /live/changes folder and rebooted, RAM usage was normal.
Very strange isn't it?
I think it is not strange. I can't tell about the original porteus initrd file but the one we use now will search deep in all folders inside /live for squashfs modules and will load all found. Just tested this to confirm. I guess it searches in all /live/changes folder for squashfs modules and this makes the RAM usage higher.

Toni

fredx181

#2658 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:Downloading now, Fred. I will post information in the main thread when the replacement is done. Do you want to add some more information about changes in openbox version?
Thanks, Toni!

I'm not very good in remembering all changes.
I hope you are :)
There are many updates which goes for both versions, I think.
Oh, I included also full installer (menu> System> DebianDog-Full-Installer)
And menu> System> Configure-startup-services (rcconf.xdlg)
Added also "alsa equalizer" and "alsamixergui" in multimedia category.
Added FFmpeg2sfs in "module tools" category.
Graphical Disk Map as right-click option for directory.
I guess it searches in all /live/changes folder for squashfs modules and this makes the RAM usage higher.
Yes, That could well be the reason.

Edit: Almost forgot:
There's no "base/021-apps-porteus.squashfs" in new openbox iso.
It was rather easy to make it without and I like only one module loaded (just a little less RAM usage)

Fred

fredx181

#2659 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William, Toni,

Here's for testing gnome-mplayer-1.0.4_i386.deb:
And mplayer2-9d6b188_i386.deb:

The gnome-player is in fact the same as previous but I separated it from mplayer2 package.
The mplayer2 deb has only single binary '/opt/bin/mplayer' so you might want to extract it and place it just where you want instead of installing the deb.
1. Which one is the package you mean? This one:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... -1.0.4.deb
Both packages will add around 30 non-debian-wheezy libs
It depends on what you call "non-debian-wheezy libs"
They are not installed through apt-get on DebianDog but for sure libs from debian-wheezy.
(ok, just wanted to mention this)

As I wasn't content with the old gnome-mplayer/mplayer I compiled mplayer2.
Not a bad result: 9.7MB and not depending on any codec libs(all build-in)

mplayer2 has little different command line options:
For example instead of:

-vo xv
-vo help
-zoom

It is:

--vo=xv
--vo=help
--zoom

The following is just what I experienced using mplayer2 (command line) on my Thinkpad X40 notebook:
using --vo=xv gives bad colors so I need to use --vo=x11.
Ok, but --vo=x11 doesn't work with "real" fullscreen so need to use --zoom.
But that increases cpu usage significant (almost double)

Then gnome-mplayer:
Here goes the same for the video setting in Preferences to x11 or xv.

But I found *strange* workaround that makes it run nicely:
Set video driver to "vdpau" and Tab: "MPlayer": Extra options for MPlayer: add: --zoom

Can't explain it because vdpau is obviously not supported on my machine (and this mplayer2 is not compiled with it).
But I'm very content with this because cpu usage is very reasonable and fullscreen works right.

Fred

saintless

#2660 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Just testing OpenBox version and I can't play video at all. Here is the output from gnome-mplayer and mplayer with the same video I use for tests.

root@dog:~# gnome-mplayer
in media state change with state = 0

root@dog:~# mplayer /mnt/home/Big.Bang.Theory.S01E17.DVDRip.XviD-FoV.avi
MPlayer2 9d6b188 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
Cannot open file '/root/.mplayer/input.conf': No such file or directory
Failed to open /root/.mplayer/input.conf.
Cannot open file '/usr/local/etc/mplayer/input.conf': No such file or directory
Failed to open /usr/local/etc/mplayer/input.conf.

Playing /mnt/home/Big.Bang.Theory.S01E17.DVDRip.XviD-FoV.avi.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 4 in module: enable_cache
- MPlayer crashed by an 'Illegal Instruction'.
  It usually happens when you run it on a CPU different than the one it was
  compiled/optimized for.
  Verify this!
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
root@dog:~# 
Ideas what to check? I use at the moment Always Fresh porteus boot.
I guess it will not work on old CPU?

Toni