Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#2601 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:The script searches (in all modules mounted in /mnt/live/memory/images) for 'availablenew' and 'statusnew'.
Then it merges them together with the main status file (/var/lib/dpkg/status) to a temp file
It's a bigger file then with lots of duplicates so let's remove the duplicate package entries (nice 'awk' line I found on the web does that very well) and then the new 'main' status file is created.
(see more info inside script)
Different from what I thought but I like this idea better than executing similar script inside every new created module. In your setup it will work with any number loaded modules created with remastercow executing single script to update dpkg (instead executing script for each separate module).
I will test it today and write back.

I will change available-new and status-new in remastercow also.
I suggest also to change info-new to infonew then to have same renaming for all files.
Any reason for "sudo"? I think I just make .desktop file with "Exec=gsu rcconf.xdlg" line.
gsu needs root password. Puppy account depends too much already on root password. From what I read rcconf is executed with sudo (user password) in Debian.
BTW do you know if we leave update-rcconf-guide out rcconf.xdlg will work without problems? I see lines inside about update-rcconf-guide. Maybe it is better to install also rcconf with apt-get to make sure all works well. rcconf.xdlg has different name and it will not make problems in PATH.

About updated iso versions:
What is live.cfg file you use for new openbox version? I think we need to add persistent option. This is the change I made in live.cfg for the iso as boot options. Any ideas for changes?

Code: Select all

label DebianDog LB-2x in RAM
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.img boot=live persistent toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

label DebianDog LB-2x 
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.img boot=live config persistent swapon noprompt quickreboot autologin

label DebianDog Porteus in RAM
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/changes.dat

label DebianDog Porteus
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz from=/ noauto changes=/changes.dat

label DebianDog LB-3x in RAM
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live persistence toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

label DebianDog LB-3x 
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config persistence swapon noeject quickreboot autologin
BTW I will remove Firehol firewall. It is easy to install firewall at choice. I have testing deb package with Puppy linux default firewall but I need to learn how to test if activated firewall works first. If anyone like to test I will give download link for testing only. It needs small edit in /etc/rc.local because of exit 0 command at the moment.

Toni

anikin

#2602 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni and everyone,

The boot options above reminded me of something, that I learned recently:
Note
Avoid using 'KERNEL' for selecting the kernel images, use LINUX instead. If you use KERNEL and the image ends with .0 then extlinux will misinterpret it and try to PXE it ending with a screen full of graphical artifacts and nothing else
==>https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Syslinux
Probably, not crucial, but I replaced every occurrence of 'kernel' with 'linux' in my menus.

mcewanw

#2603 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote: BTW I will remove Firehol firewall. It is easy to install firewall at choice. I have testing deb package with Puppy linux default firewall but I need to learn how to test if activated firewall works first. If anyone like to test I will give download link for testing only. It needs small edit in /etc/rc.local because of exit 0 command at the moment.

Toni
Hi Toni,

Does Firehol take up a lot of room on the iso? Just wondering why you would remove it. From reading up on it, it seems like a very nice firewall; Personally, I am sure I would use Firehol rather than the Puppy default one (unless it has as good features as firehol - I haven't seen any docs on Puppy firewall - what is it?). If Firehol doesn't take up much iso space I think it was nice to include it. I also note that the openbox version doesn't include xdm at all (even though the version used in jwm debiandog is very small to include) which again seems a pity - that would put me off using it in practice. xdm can do a lot more than SliM. Of course, for simple Puppy-like usage at home, it doesn't matter much, but for a larger audience (such as my old job teaching Linux and Data Comms/networks/protocols and security) it is great to have a small Debian-compatible Linux distribution that has xdm and firewall capability built into that small distribution size - and for that kind of use, multi-user capability is essential (which is why I was never able to usefully use Puppy Linux in class). Professional jobs in Linux admin needs lots of practice in multiuser permission/security/firewall setup etc. Of course firewalls are easily added, but very convenient if a small one is available by default.

I'm not teaching Linux/DataComms anymore, so it doesn't matter to me, but I remember what a nuisance it was that pretty much all small Linux distributions of the time were limited; usually not multi-user capable or crippled in some other way that made them useless in teaching Linux admin. DebianDog luckily, doesn't suffer these limitations, but nice to include the basics (including a firewall) so it is immediately usable for such purposes without needing additions. There is a big potential audience for a distribution that has all that in a small size - dozens of students per institution - some whom are not technically enough inclined to care about apt-get (which may not be part of the course, since often it's Red Hat certification teaching nowadays - but Debian system fine for most basic Linux admin courses since the basics are the same). Not a big deal I suppose nowadays, since they can easily apt-get onto usb flash sticks, which have plenty room... but debiandog firehol version tiny, why remove it?
github mcewanw

saintless

#2604 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.

It is not a matter of space at all. I prefer to remove Firehol because:

1. I can not give quick setup solution as type "firehol start" and you have working firewall. It needs more than that to be added in /etc/firehol/firehol.conf file and I can't advice what is the right configuration. I have to explain again and again this all the time and there is no use to write we have firewall included since I can't advice the user how to configure it proper.

2. I read in ubuntu forums it is not recommended to have more than one firewall even if the others are not activated (I don't know if this is true but there are such comments). I think Anikin (If I do not mistake) uses ipkungfu instead firehol and maybe many users will prefer to install different.

3. For good or bad Debian stable is updating new versions of packages and kernel again and again. The firehol package in DebianDog needs to upgrade the kernel to function proper:

root@debian:~# /etc/init.d/firehol start
[....] Starting Firewall: firehol

WARNING
File '/etc/firehol/RESERVED_IPS' is more than 90 days old.
You should update it to ensure proper operation of your firewall.

Run the supplied get-iana.sh script to generate this file.

IMPORTANT WARNING:
 ------------------
 FireHOL cannot find your current kernel configuration.
 Please, either compile your kernel with /proc/config,
 or make sure there is a valid kernel config in:
 /usr/src/linux/.config

Because of this, FireHOL will simply attempt to load
 all kernel modules for the services used, without
 being able to detect failures.

. ok
To fix this we need to do:

apt-get upgrade firehol
And this will upgarde more package dependencies including the kernel 3.2.0.4-486 with newer package of the same kernel.

4. To fix "File '/etc/firehol/RESERVED_IPS' is more than 90 days old." warning I found this but I'm not sure it is proper solution:

root@debian:~# touch -m /etc/firehol/RESERVED_IPS
root@debian:~# /etc/init.d/firehol start
[ ok ] Starting Firewall: firehol.
If we had easy start/stop and configure Firehol instruction it would worth to have it in DebianDog. But what is the point to write DebianDog has firewall included but the user has to find out how to configure it proper?

Puppy Firewall has very easy setup process but the problem is I can't tell if it works or not even if I run it from Puppy. The online test results do not change at all with Firewall on and off. Maybe my ISP has perfect hardware firewall or I do something wrong.

Toni

saintless

#2605 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Anikin.
I think it is not critical since vmlinuz names we use work with kernel in boot code, but it is good to add this information in HowTo thread.

Toni

fredx181

#2606 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
I suggest also to change info-new to infonew then to have same renaming for all files.
Yes, I will do that.
gsu needs root password. Puppy account depends too much already on root password. From what I read rcconf is executed with sudo (user password) in Debian.
BTW do you know if we leave update-rcconf-guide out rcconf.xdlg will work without problems? I see lines inside about update-rcconf-guide. Maybe it is better to install also rcconf with apt-get to make sure all works well. rcconf.xdlg has different name and it will not make problems in PATH.
Your choice of course but I like su more than sudo because with sudo there's always a risk that it doesn't work.
I you create a new user it's not in the sudo group and you'll get the famous "........, this incident will be reported" message and there's nothing to do about it unless you know exactly how to solve it.
Yes,install also rcconf with apt-get , it's small.
I think we need to add persistent option
Yes, fine but then put some more information in the title like:

label DebianDog live-boot 2x in RAM persistent changes
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.img boot=live persistent toram=01-filesystem.squashfs
I think you made it short because otherwise the width is not enough.
To make it larger, change in isolinux/menu.cfg to something like:

menu width 70
Maybe you can post later what you made and I'll do it the same.

In contrast to what I earlier wrote that it's ok to remove usr/bin/makepfile.sh from porteus add. module, it's not ok.
It needs it just for the question(do you want create savefile?) at shutdown when booting without savefile.
I made small improvement for makepfile.sh and make-save.gtkdlg.
Creating the filesystem of the savefile can take some time and there's no progress bar for it, but I made message "Formatting..." while doing so.
Also improved usr/local/bin/mountlink.
All in attached zip.
Also new "restdpkg" that works now with both boot-methods.
It needed a workaround for live-boot to mount all modules in /live in case boot option "showmounts" is not used.

I have to do some things but I think tonight I'll upload new iso.

Fred
Attachments
newnew-scripts.zip
(6.08 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

saintless

#2607 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:To make it larger, change in isolinux/menu.cfg to something like:

menu width 70
Maybe you can post later what you made and I'll do it the same.
Thanks. Since I'm not 100% sure I will be ready tonight can you make the boot code as you see it best? I will copy live.cfg from your iso to jwm version.
In contrast to what I earlier wrote that it's ok to remove usr/bin/makepfile.sh from porteus add. module, it's not ok.
It needs it just for the question(do you want create savefile?) at shutdown when booting without savefile.
I will add /usr/bin/makepfile.sh in 021-apps-porteus.squashfs

restdpkg - I tested few times and I get strange result after loading two modules with duplicate packages inside. I need to test it more to be sure what the problem is. I think some packages in new status file have line: "Status: deinstall ok config-files" converted (maybe) to "Status: installed ok unpacked" in new status file and have to be installed again as missing dependencies.
I need more testing to see what exactly the problem is.

Toni

fredx181

#2608 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Thanks. Since I'm not 100% sure I will be ready tonight can you make the boot code as you see it best? I will copy live.cfg from your iso to jwm version.
Ok, no problem.
Remember..., no rush :wink:

Fred

saintless

#2609 Post by saintless »

William,
I start to like Firehol. It seems this command creates basic firewall configuration in a second:

firehol helpme > /tmp/firehol.conf
If I can make it work without kernel warning message I will make simple Firehol start/stop + configure script.

Edit: Warning kernel message has nothing to do with upgrading the kernel. It is fixed. Now I need to test how DebianDog runs with firehol activated with default configuration settings. If it runs OK without problem I will leave Firehol active from boot. Single command line is enough to deactivate it and the change is active without reboot. For special configuration the user will have to read firehol manual but for every day use seems the default settings will work on any hardware.

Edit2: I think default firehol settings will work fine for general use. Firehol will be active on boot from now.

Toni

mcewanw

#2610 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: Your choice of course but I like su more than sudo because with sudo there's always a risk that it doesn't work.
I you create a new user it's not in the sudo group and you'll get the famous "........, this incident will be reported" message and there's nothing to do about it unless you know exactly how to solve it.
Fred, It is a very strange multi-user system if the normal user needs to know root password! For anything they need root permissions for they should be using sudo and it is up to the system admin what sudo rights to give or not give any normal user. Really limits the usefulness of the system if multi-user just means can have many users running but all must know the root password! :-)

From reading the thread there seem to have been many new scripts/modifications very recently, that needs time for testing.
Last edited by mcewanw on Sun 11 May 2014, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#2611 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Toni,
Ok, no problem.
Remember..., no rush :wink:

Fred
Saves time in the end not to upload until, as far as known, faults all ironed out; no rush is good to avoid too many fixes needing added soon after!
github mcewanw

saintless

#2612 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.

I agrree with you about user account should not know root password but for example Gparted installed with apt-get needs root passweord by default (it uses su-to-root instead sudo). Some programs that are not debian native also should ask for root password like RemasterDog, RemasterCow, Frisbee (you are changing the network settings for root account also)... Note this programs will work with sudo if we remove gsu line in the begining of the executable script. I just think it is better to use them with root password to prevent problems. Maybe It is better to keep all programs using sudo but this means to give easy option to break the system with user password.
For debian programs that are made to run sudo from user account like rcconf I prefer to use sudo also because it will create desktop file used from all user accounts later. This will save time for proper setup of user account.

On the other hand this command makes hiding root password from user useless:

sudo passwd root
Enter new UNIX password:
And the user is the only one who knows the root password now.

The system administartor will be able to prevent such problems but it will be very difficult to do it from user who likes to read and experiment in this direction.

Toni

saintless

#2613 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:Also improved usr/local/bin/mountlink.
New mountlink does not create /mnt/home link for JWM version.
I also suggest we wait with new iso uploads for a while. Many scripts are improved and testing for every boot method and every boot code is needed.
I also suggest after we test proper all included now to keep script improvements as separate download for testing. Otherwise we can easy break something that works.

Toni

saintless

#2614 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Replacing the attached files in /etc/apt will fix this message from apt-get update (if you like to include this fix in OpenBox version):

Fetched 181 B in 4s (37 B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org wheezy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 07DC563D1F41B907
Attachments
etc-apt-gpg.zip
(32.25 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

fredx181

#2615 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
New mountlink does not create /mnt/home link for JWM version.
Yes, I'll try fix it, it's only when no changes= parameter is used, right?
I also suggest we wait with new iso uploads for a while. Many scripts are improved and testing for every boot method and every boot code is needed. .
Yes, you're right.
Replacing the attached files in /etc/apt will fix this message from apt-get update (if you like to include this fix in OpenBox version):
Thanks!

Fred

saintless

#2616 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:it's only when no changes= parameter is used, right?

I guess so but haven't test it proper to confirm. I booted without changes= when I noticed /mnt/home is missing (because of broken link /live/image).

Testing new restdpkg - it is even more complicated as I thought. Seems to work well if you load only one sfs made with remastercow but we can not cover all situation to confirm this with sure.

Test this to see where we hit the wall with dpkg:

1. Start with fresh save file:

apt-get install audacity
2. Create new module with RemasterCow called 02-audacity.sfs

3. Install also vlc:

apt-get install vlc
4. Create new module with RemasterCow called 03-audacity-vlc.sfs

5. Reboot without save file and load 02-audacity.sfs and 03-audacity-vlc.sfs

6. Run restdpkg.

7. Run this commands and check out the output:

root@debian:~# apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  audacity-data liba52-0.7.4 libaa1 libaacplus2 libass4 libasyncns0
  libavc1394-0 libavutil51 libbluray1 libcaca0 libcddb2 libcdio13
  libcrystalhd3 libdca0 libdirac-encoder0 libdirectfb-1.2-9 libdvbpsi7
  libebml3 libenca0 libfaac0 libfaad2 libfdk-aac0 libflac++6 libgsm1
  libiso9660-8 libjack-jackd2-0 libjson0 libkate1 liblircclient0 liblua5.1-0
  libmatroska5 libmng1 libmodplug1 libmpcdec6 libmpeg2-4 libmtp-common
  libopencore-amrnb0 libopencore-amrwb0 libopus0 liborc-0.4-0 libportaudio2
  libportsmf0 libpostproc52 libproxy0 libpulse0 libqtcore4 libqtgui4
  libraw1394-11 libresid-builder0c2a libsbsms10 libschroedinger-1.0-0
  libsdl-image1.2 libsdl1.2debian libshout3 libsidplay2 libsndfile1
  libsoundtouch0 libspeex1 libspeexdsp1 libswscale2 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a
  libtar0 libtdb1 libtheora0 libts-0.0-0 libtwolame0 libupnp6 libva-x11-1
  libva1 libvamp-hostsdk3 libvcdinfo0 libvlc5 libvlccore5 libvo-aacenc0
  libvo-amrwbenc0 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2 libvorbisfile3 libvpx1
  libwbclient0 libwebp2 libwrap0 libwxbase2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-0 libx264-124
  libx264-130 libx264-132 libxcb-composite0 libxcb-keysyms1 libxcb-randr0
  libxcb-xv0 libxvidcore4 libzvbi-common libzvbi0 tsconf vlc-data
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  audacity libavcodec53 libavcodec54 libavformat53 libavformat54 libdc1394-22
  libmtp9 libsmbclient vlc vlc-nox
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 10 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 63.8 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
Abort.

root@debian:~# apt-get purge vlc
Building dependency tree       
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libavcodec53 : Depends: libmp3lame0 (>= 1:3.99.0) but 3.99.5+repack1-3 is to be installed
 libavcodec54 : Depends: libmp3lame0 (>= 1:3.99.) but 3.99.5+repack1-3 is to be installed
 libdc1394-22 : Depends: libusb-1.0-0 (>= 2:1.0.) but it is not installable
 libmtp9 : Depends: libusb-1.0-0 (>= 2:1.0.8) but it is not installable
 libsmbclient : Depends: libtalloc2 (>= 2.0.4~git20101213) but it is not installable
 vlc-nox : Depends: (>= 0.5.0) but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
root@debian:~# 
8. Check out in new created status: libusb-1.0-0 , libtalloc2, libmp3lame0, libv4l-0:

Package: libusb-1.0-0

Package: libmp3lame0

Package: libtalloc2

Package: libv4l-0
If you load only 03-audacity-vlc.sfs and run restdpkg all is fine.

I think it is because some packages are available 4 times instead two and there are 2 different versions for some packages like libmp3lame0 (wuith different installed size) in /tmp/status.new

Are you sure you want to continue working on this? If you do let us fix the new iso versions and rethink again update status process for a few days.

Toni

saintless

#2617 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:I am sure I would use Firehol rather than the Puppy default one (unless it has as good features as firehol - I haven't seen any docs on Puppy firewall - what is it?)
Hi, William.
Can you, please, test this when you have time?
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... 1_i386.deb
It is Puppy Firewall script deb package. Install it and start from Settings --> Firewall Puppy
You will see 3 options for setup.
I already have Firehol working from boot with default configuration settings but it will be good if someone with more experience with firewalls test this package. Maybe it is better than Firehol?

Toni

fredx181

#2618 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

I really did exactly the same as you described and got a complete different outcome (it passed the test!).

root@dog:~# restdpkg
root@dog:~# apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree       
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
root@dog:~# apt-get purge vlc
Building dependency tree       
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  vlc*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
After this operation, 3449 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
I am almost sure that the outcome you had is because of "info-new" and "infonew" where remastercow and restdpkg are not corresponding.
I mean that remastercow renames to /var/lib/dpkg/infonew and the restdpkg script has /var/lib/dpkg/info-new.
Can you confirm?
If that's the case, sorry for that!
In the restdpkg script the move line for "info-new" (that needs to be "infonew") is just under "l_boot()" for live-boot.
And it's just under "p_boot()" for porteus-boot.
Are you sure you want to continue working on this? If you do let us fix the new iso versions and rethink again update status process for a few days.
With this outcome I surely want, but later,as you say first concentrate on new iso.

Fred

mcewanw

#2619 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:
mcewanw wrote:I am sure I would use Firehol rather than the Puppy default one (unless it has as good features as firehol - I haven't seen any docs on Puppy firewall - what is it?)
Hi, William.
Can you, please, test this when you have time?
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... 1_i386.deb
It is Puppy Firewall script deb package. Install it and start from Settings --> Firewall Puppy
You will see 3 options for setup.
I already have Firehol working from boot with default configuration settings but it will be good if someone with more experience with firewalls test this package. Maybe it is better than Firehol?

Toni
Hi Toni, I installed your Puppy Firewall deb and it works okay. I closed a few ports and then checked it worked by running nmap scan from other machine (I actually used the GUI for nmap called zenmap).

However, I also looked at the firewall code, a script in /opt/bin/firewall_script.sh. It's very old (2003) and no longer supported. Also I don't think it can handle IPv6, which firehol now does. Firehol is more sophisticated and better longterm. Even BarryK was apparently looking for a replacement to Puppy firewall according to some forum posts I read.

Ah... I just noticed the firehol you had installed on last iso is an old version? That would change my opinion. Only the latest firehol handles IPv6. If you don't want to install that one for some reason, then maybe it would be better not to install any or to just provide that Puppy firewall, which is good enough for most users and easy to configure. I have never tried configuring firehol, but seems to involve simple modification of some text file, but that isn't so easy for general users as Puppy firewall.

Nice to provide some kind of firewall and experienced user could indeed always add something else later.
github mcewanw

saintless

#2620 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:I am almost sure that the outcome you had is because of "info-new" and "infonew" where remastercow and restdpkg are not corresponding.
No, I rename manually infonew to info-new before running restdpkg, otherwise I get error message from terminal restdpkg can't find info-new folder.
I will test this again proper after we upload new iso versions. Maybe I do something wrong. I also use only JWM version with live-boot-2. I doubt this can be the reason for this problem but I will test with porteus boot and OpenBox version later. Maybe I mixed the two versions of restdpkg at some point...

Fred, I plan to remove from /etc/rc.local this line:

exit 0
For example if some program like puppy firewall adds information there at the end it is after "exit 0" line and does not read the information after "exit 0". Do you see any problem in removing this line? I see no errors on boot after removing "exit 0". If you do the same I will make new puppy firewall package to work on both versions. Now it simply adds new rc.local without "exit 0" line.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Tue 13 May 2014, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.