mtpaint 3.49.12- April 2016

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
wjaguar

#81 Post by wjaguar »

charlie6 wrote:I've got a look inside /root/.mtpaint file without finding which are the settings for those checkboxes.
These two happen to be numbered, not named descriptively. "fontAntialias1" and "fontAntialias2" they are.

And generally, diff is how one discovers which setting is where in a text inifile. ;-)

technosaurus

#82 Post by technosaurus »

wjaguar wrote:And generally, diff is how one discovers which setting is where in a text inifile. ;-)
In other words save a copy of the *.ini, .*rc or whatever file, make a change in your program to the parameter you are looking for then exit and diff your copy against the new version. I used a similar method for packaging Opera with modified default values.

@wjaguar, btw have you posted info about your v-code project anywhere. It seems like it may be useful outside of mtpaint and reminds me of Zero Memory Widget (though it may be completely different - just registered in the same one of maybe 10 brain cells)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

wjaguar

#83 Post by wjaguar »

technosaurus wrote:@wjaguar, btw have you posted info about your v-code project anywhere. It seems like it may be useful outside of mtpaint
No, I haven't started documenting it yet, for the particulars still haven't completely crystallized, as the rewrite isn't 100% done.
See, I believe in the approach when practice drives design and not vice versa; new code starts small, and then gets extended and refactored again and again when new functionality is added - each time to minimize the resulting complexity. This gets me efficiency and stability in plenty for my projects, but the cost is, old code isn't set in stone and sometimes has to be fixed up for changing interfaces.

And yes, I'm aware such a "GUI interpreter" can be quite useful outside mtPaint, even in its current GTK+2-only state; it is partly the idea. If you're interested, I'll document the present incarnation of V-code engine now.
(The original plan was to do it when it gets to final state - before the next mtPaint release, as one more appendix to the handbook.)
and reminds me of Zero Memory Widget (though it may be completely different - just registered in the same one of maybe 10 brain cells)
The very idea is very different; V-code is not about saving a tiny little bit of memory on widgets' data (was ridiculous even in ZMW's 2004, not to say now) but about using reflection to avoid huge batches of boilerplate code.
Given specific type of widget, one has to create it, init it, control it, watch it, read back from it - all in a particular predetermined way; so no reason why these purely mechanical tasks must be done by a sentient human being. What V-code interpreter does, is take a list of widget types and relevant data (the "V-code" itself), create widgets based on it, remembering which is of which type - and then dispatch init, reset, readback, destruction, and whatever else, all based on that information. No specialcasing and no boilerplate in app code - all that encapsulated inside V-code engine. And all toolkit dependency is encapsulated as well.

technosaurus

#84 Post by technosaurus »

wjaguar wrote:No, I haven't started documenting it yet, for the particulars still haven't completely crystallized, as the rewrite isn't 100% done.
No worries, I was just wondering since it sounded like something from a PhD 'thesis. But please don't document it on my account ... once something is documented it becomes more difficult to fix (though the documentation process sometimes discovers the things that need to be fixed)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

technosaurus

#85 Post by technosaurus »

I just read an article about Snap Chat and I've been trying to figure out a couple of image related problems that maybe someone here would know the term for.

I want to generate an animated gif (or any sequence of images) from a single image that starts with psuedo-random colors then each frame draws colors that push the perceived color back toward the original (possibly past depending on the intentional pseudo-randomness) such that no individual frame could be perceived as the original image but in real time our minds are tricked into seeing the intended image.

Does anyone know what that phenomenon is called?

I thought that an lcd screen did this each frame with RGB values, drawing red, then green, then blue, but a crude javascript test alternating #F00 and #0F0 (red and green) looked more like brown than #FF0 (yellow) ... any thoughts on that? I never got over the primary light colors being RGB instead of RYB (as in paints), so I am sure my logic is jacked up.

Anyhow that would prevent someone from being able to take a screenshot or even a photo (maybe a time lapse photo would work though) but even taking a video would be difficult since missed frames would make it look like snow.

wjaguar

#86 Post by wjaguar »

technosaurus wrote:Does anyone know what that phenomenon is called?
I thought that an lcd screen did this each frame with RGB values
What a 6-bit LCD does to simulate 8-bit depth, is called "temporal dithering".
but a crude javascript test alternating #F00 and #0F0 (red and green) looked more like brown than #FF0 (yellow) ... any thoughts on that?
See mtPaint's handbook, sections 6.2.1 and 6.8.2. Manuals *are* meant to be read. ;-)

Naturally, with your alternating you effectively halved the light output of the two subpixels; so mixing (255, 0, 0) with (0, 255, 0) you do in all fairness deserve to get (180, 180, 0) at best.
But more likely, you get something unbalanced - if your alternation isn't synchronized with your display's refresh frequency, the two colors can in fact stay displayed for an unequal number of frames, even if it is the same number of milliseconds on the program's side. If the result is really brownish and not just a "dirty yellow", then it means the red stays onscreen longer.

technosaurus

#87 Post by technosaurus »

Thanks,

I got lots of training in art early on but none of the palette mixing was on a computer (yes, I'm old) ... as for the RTFM, I normally do it with CTRL+F and only read what I am looking for ... for once I was stumped on what to enter for my google ?q= parameter/ I'll take a look, maybe post some ?s on the gimp forum, if there is one, but it always seems that Puppy has the smartest/most-informed geeks.

anyhow let me know if anyone is interested in doing a project to replace snapchat now that their $3billion is off the table.

don570

#88 Post by don570 »

Mtpaint can be used with Blender --->3d graphics

Here's a video that explains the method
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-FfB9kRmE

don570

#89 Post by don570 »

New version mtpaint 3.44.60 available in first post.
Note that this is 32 bit version.
* Committing paste when changing tool is now enabled by default
* Saving an image now commits paste if auto commit mode is enabled
* The Free Rotate window now remembers the previous rotation angle in that mtPaint session
+ * Alpha values for colours A & B are now displayed on settings toolbar when editing image with alpha in coupled alpha mode
* Undo system now uses a bit less memory
* Support for compiling with giflib 5, libpng 1.6 and libjpeg 9 added
* BUGFIX - Compilation without JPEG and TIFF support now works again
* BUGFIX - FreeType text tool now skips directory loops when scanning font directories
* BUGFIX - Geometry info on the status bar now correctly updates after arrow keys or Escape key
* BUGFIX - Gradient button no longer fails to show current gradient mode after showing settings toolbar
+ * BUGFIX - Ctrl+left/right/double click now set both colour and alpha from canvas in coupled alpha mode, as they should
* BUGFIX - New image creation from system clipboard now respects "Undoable" toggle
* BUGFIX - Problem with layers list in inactive dock tab sometimes not updating is now eliminated
* BUGFIX - All keyboard shortcuts now work in Image View mode, as they should

don570

#90 Post by don570 »

Here's another example of how Blender can be used with mtpaint to
make interesting animations in a few minutes. Of course it will
take many days to figure out how to use Blender :lol:

The background file was created by mtpaint and the uv mapping
was done with mtpaint as well. The output was an avi raw file
for compatibility reasons. (mpeg didn't work properly!!)
Then in windows XP I used Free Video to GIF Converter from
Video-Gif-Converter.com to convert to a gif file. I only used a few frames
to keep the file size small.

----------------------------

charlie6

#91 Post by charlie6 »

Hi don570,
I find this very interesting ... and much appreciated ! :)
thnks also for the new mtpaint version ...dwnld'd 8)
(i have had some wacom stylus misworking with 3.44.59; i'll test this new one)
Cheers, Charlie

last edited: i gave 3.44.60 a try ... :cry: and encountered the same misworking as on 3.44.59.

test using wheezy-3.5.2.5 + wacom MTE450 tablet

I then uninstalled 3.44.60 and install an earlier 3.44.04 on the same puppy session (without power off or elsewhat).

3.44.04 works OK for tablet use: pressure sensitivity and possibility of variable line drawing accordingly; as also opacity.
None are working on 3.44.60.

Here is a screenshot showing the differences between both versions.
note: In both tests, i had deleted /root/.mtpaint file prior to the install.

HTH
I stay ready for any further help or test.

Cheers, Charlie

edited: got the same results after compiled 3.44.62 on dpup wheezy-3.5.2.12 (kernel 3.14.2) which comes with version 3.40; as also tested on another PC (Dell620 + wacom Volito2 tablet).
Attachments
mtpaint3.44.04.jpg
comparison 3.44.60 vs. earlier 3.44.04
(67.99 KiB) Downloaded 365 times

wjaguar

#92 Post by wjaguar »

charlie6 wrote:edited: got the same results after compiled 3.44.62 on dpup wheezy-3.5.2.12 (kernel 3.14.2) which comes with version 3.40; as also tested on another PC (Dell620 + wacom Volito2 tablet).
Thanks. This is a GUI breakage - will fix it in the next version.
In future, don't hesitate to report any bugs directly to me, as soon as you encounter them.
With my reimplementing the entire mtPaint's GUI in V-code, anything at all may break in any weird way. And the sooner I learn of that, the sooner I fix it, and the less impact it will have.

There is no such animal as a "known bug" in mtPaint; if you find a bug, it automatically means that I don't yet know of it. Absolutely no point to suffer in silence. ;-)

-= With best regards, Dmitry Groshev, maintainer of mtPaint =-

P.S.: Patch is attached. Should be applicable to any version since 3.44.51, when the breakage happened.
Attachments
pref34462.patch.gz
(595 Bytes) Downloaded 263 times

technosaurus

#93 Post by technosaurus »

while we are on the subject, what is the trick to get a pasted image to "stick" before going on to the next tool without vanishing and having to re-paste. Does anyone else have this or is it yet another issue with my touchpad.

greengeek

#94 Post by greengeek »

If I understand correctly - tapping the enter key sticks the paste.

wjaguar

#95 Post by wjaguar »

technosaurus wrote:while we are on the subject, what is the trick to get a pasted image to "stick" before going on to the next tool without vanishing and having to re-paste.
Preferences->Interface->Changing tool commits paste

charlie6

#96 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Dmitry,
Tons of thanks for quick replying ! :)
wjaguar wrote:...Thanks. This is a GUI breakage - will fix it in the next version.
In future, don't hesitate to report any bugs directly to me, as soon as you encounter them.
...P.S.: Patch is attached. Should be applicable to any version since 3.44.51, when the breakage happened.
Have applied the patch and recompiled »»---> tablet settings work now like a charm :D !
Also somewhat added missing french locale strings to fr.po (the attached archive has both mtpaint.po and mtpaint.mo in it).

HTH
Best regards, Charlie
Attachments
mtpaint34462_fr_locale.tar.gz
(49.45 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

gcmartin

#97 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Technosaurus
technosaurus wrote:while we are on the subject, what is the trick to get a pasted image to "stick" before going on to the next tool without vanishing and having to re-paste.
Hope this is what you're looking for:
  1. drag and position the pasted-image to where you want it
  2. move the mouse outside of the dragged image
  3. rightclick
  4. go on to next action
Here to help

gcmartin

#98 Post by gcmartin »

gcmartin wrote:Hello @Technosaurus
  3. rightclick once
  4. go on to next action
Here to help

technosaurus

#99 Post by technosaurus »

gcmartin wrote:Hello @Technosaurus
  3. rightclick
  4. go on to next action
Here to help
yeah that's the part that always causes me problems ... I end up doing a ritualized combo of mouse clicks trying to get that part to work on my touchpad in puppy with gtk2 ... it may be a gtk issue because I never have problems in fltk apps. for me the tool selected commit is workable. my only intuitive alternative would be to patch it to allow any clicks outside the image to apply the current process.

don570

#100 Post by don570 »

Warning !! Avoid version 3.44.67 .
I won't post it because I found a nasty bug when using the gradient.
Earlier versions are fine.