The Legacy OS 2.1 LTS Community Project

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

The Legacy OS 2.1 LTS Community Project

#1 Post by john biles »

Legacy OS 2017 will be the final release of the 2 Series. This release is intended to be installed and used for years to come. Legacy OS 2017 is the Core to be built on by its Users. Together we can create the best Pentium III based Operating System available. Any feedback is welcome.
Link to iso / packages https://sourceforge.net/projects/legacyoslinux/files/

**New Users to Legacy OS, want share your experiences, post a question? It's quick and easy to join this forum as it's a great place to be. A lot of Legacy OS first time users go on to be Puppy Linux users as well.**

More Applications + Patches
If you've installed or patched an application not available in Legacy and want to share it so others can enjoy your handy work please supply a link. Your Application will be uploaded to SourceForge.

Updated Kernel + Glibc
Users have asked for better support for their Hardware. Adding a newer Kernel in turn brings better Hardware support like WiFi. Are your able to help get a newer Kernel in to Legacy OS 2.1 LTS?

Additional Magic Scripts
For conversion of different Multimedia formats "Magic Scripts" relies on ffmpeg. Do you have a favourite line of conversion code using ffmpeg? Share it to create more Magic Scripts to be used by others.

Documentation
Do you want to contribute documentation based on your experience using Legacy. The small tricks you've learnt along the way. Any How To's you'd like to write.

Look & Feel / Icewm Themes
Everyone likes to configure their desktop just the way they like it. Maybe some Artwork that would make the Sidebar background look better. A new gtk2 / Icewm theme. New Icon Set.
Link to extra Sidebar Backgrounds: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71769
Link to extra Icewm-Theme-Pack: https://sourceforge.net/projects/legacy ... Packages/?

Other - Your Ideas
While great ideas to improve Legacy are one thing. Turning them in to reality is another. Are you good at coding. Want to rewrite the installer. Maybe you have a vision of how the Sidebar should look. Maybe what starts as your mock up together we could turn in to a replacement sidebar option for users.

Updated System Files
Legacy uses a lot of System libraries that date back to 2007. Updating key libraries like GTK, Alsa, Xorg could result in Applications like Firefox, Google Chrome, Libre Office working again in Legacy.

WiFi Drivers / WPA2
The biggest complain I get about Legacy OS 2 is support for Wifi. While there is some support for WiFi any successful connection using WPA2 encryption, you need to install the WPA2.tar.gz package. The "D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G650 Wireless Cardbus Adaptor" is supported in Legacy OS 2.1 LTS and can be found on Ebay for around $15 AUD. The will get any Laptop with a PCI port online using WiFi. (Information Updated November 2016)
Attachments
backing3.png
(165.71 KiB) Downloaded 4766 times
Last edited by john biles on Sun 20 Nov 2016, 11:27, edited 9 times in total.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Theo71

#2 Post by Theo71 »

I installed it and it works fine :) But I changed the resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 and the sidebar seems to like the old position so it isn't a sidebar anymore :P Is there a setting that must be changed?

Theo71

#3 Post by Theo71 »

Wine from the repository doesn't work. I know it's not an official package, but I thought it will be helpful to tell it. By installing it it gives an 'wrapper error'.

john biles

#4 Post by john biles »

Hello Theo71,
Right mouse click over sidebar and select "Edit Configuration"
Karamba Theme Creator will open.
To move the Sidebar you need to adjust the settings x and y
see line below which is the first displayed in Karamba Theme Creator
karamba x=1100 y=0 w=180 h=768 locked=true interval=1000
x moves the sidebar left and right
y moves the sidebar up and down
set x to 1100 and y to 128 and click Save in Karamba Theme Creator and close it.
Right mouse click over the sidebar and select "Reload Configuration"
Sidebar will now move to where you want it. Each time you boot Legacy OS the Sidebar will remain where you want it.

As for Wine simply rename it from wine-1.3.7-i486.gz to wine-1.3.7-i486.pet
now click on the package again and select "Install Package" and wine will install.

Theo71

#5 Post by Theo71 »

Thank you John, I should try it in a minute. The Wine problem is solved by doing it the hard way. Opened it and look what inside, copied the files to the directories and it worked. Well silly me, but I believe I have a perfect excuse. I'm normally a Xubuntu user, and Puppy is something else.. But it seems that I find a way in it. I installed some other things too, without any problems at the same way I did with wine (Midnight Commander and Krecipes). I think I have to look at the desktop files because they aren't in the applications menu. But they are working ;)

EDIT: I've changed the Karamba settings and it worked :)

speaker

Unable to boot

#6 Post by speaker »

I loaded the iso to a thumbdrive and burned to a CD and both attempts got the same message for Legacy OS2.1 LTs

Error can not find Puppy on idecd boot media (CD and thumbdrive )
PUPMODE=1 PDEV1
Exited to initial-ramdisk (/dev/ram0 commandline
/bin/sh cant access tty: job control off

Any ideas?
Not sure is this helps - laptop is a Compaq nc6400
1 gig ram

Downloaded last week and again today.
thanks
speaker

Will try OS 4 MINI see if same problem occurs.

Tman

#7 Post by Tman »

Hi John,

Is there a link to this new pup, or has it not been created yet?
I am thinking, the latter, but don't want to assume.

Attached are 10 icewm themes, most of which, I have modified, using other themes as a base. Feel free to use any or all, if you like.
I remember trying Legacy OS about 2-3 years back. I found it to be a very polished and good looking pup, only I did not use it much because my hardware was better suited for pups with newer kernels and drivers.

The thread on how to switch kernels is here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 54&t=60180

But switching to a kernel that is too new won't have drivers for very old hardware, whereas too old a kernel will not have drivers for new hardware.. so I'm not sure how you will decide which kernel is right for Legacy OS 2.1

Best Regards,
Van
Attachments
5_icewm_themes_pack-2.0.pet
set 2
(173.4 KiB) Downloaded 784 times

Theo71

#8 Post by Theo71 »

Tman wrote:Hi John,

Is there a link to this new pup, or has it not been created yet?
I'm not John, but I think he doesn't mind when I share the link :D
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LegacyOS

I couldn' t agree more, it's a very nice pup :) Yesterday my son arrived from school and I showed him this.. His reaction: 'Damn they should have made Windows 8 like this...'.

Thanks for sharing the IceWM themes, I've download them and give it a try :)

john biles

#9 Post by john biles »

Hello Tman,
Thanks for the Themes. To anyone trying them please be aware they are for later series of Puppy and unzip there content to /usr/share/icewm/themes
Legacy's default folder for themes is /root/.icewm/themes
You need to copy any unzipped themes from /usr/share/icewm/themes to /root/.icewm/themes remembering .icewm is a hidden folder. Also please be aware that the version of icewm in Legacy is older than in newer puppy's which may result in them looking not quite right.

john biles

#10 Post by john biles »

Hello Theo71,
I couldn' t agree more, it's a very nice pup Yesterday my son arrived from school and I showed him this.. His reaction: 'Damn they should have made Windows 8 like this...'.
Nice to know someone likes it. Hopefully your son will get some use out of it.

john biles

#11 Post by john biles »

Macish and Win7 Icewm Themes Added.
Attachments
macish-small.jpg
(180.11 KiB) Downloaded 4048 times
win7-small.jpg
(182.6 KiB) Downloaded 4225 times

john biles

#12 Post by john biles »

Doesn't appear to be much interest for Forum Members. I'm assuming most of you have moved on to later Puppy versions making Legacy OS obsolete is this correct?

James C

#13 Post by James C »

john biles wrote:Doesn't appear to be much interest for Forum Members. I'm assuming most of you have moved on to later Puppy versions making Legacy OS obsolete is this correct?
Just checked Sourceforge and Legacy OS 2.1 LTS has had over 15,000 downloads (596 this week alone) while 2.1 Gamer has over 21,000....... people are obviously trying them.
Personally I've been using newer hardware but there are lots of people out there using P3's and low-end P4's....with an ever-smaller number of distros to use.
I've got both versions installed but I don't use the old boxes much anymore.

cthisbear

#14 Post by cthisbear »

" people are obviously trying them. "

Enough said.

Chris.

Colonel Panic

#15 Post by Colonel Panic »

john biles wrote:Doesn't appear to be much interest for Forum Members. I'm assuming most of you have moved on to later Puppy versions making Legacy OS obsolete is this correct?
Hi John,

No, it's not obsolete; it's still a great distro for older computers such as mine (in fact I'm posting from it now). Thanks for all the work you've put into it over the years.

I'd have a problem running it as my sole distro though because Softmaker Office 2012 crashes it (for some reason) and I've got the paid for version of Softmaker so I am reluctant to abandon it.

CP.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

oligin10

Newer kernel may help

#16 Post by oligin10 »

Hi John, sorry I haven't been able to test this yet. I have tried to but the computers I am running now all have the kernel sync panic. I have a computer I am planning on putting back in use but very busy due to my wife's illness. Please don't get discouraged as I have seen the improvements in this as I tried to put it on my mom's laptop. It won't work (no other linux will either due to problems with the wireless driver and wireless mouse both quit working shortly after booting up. I know you put a lot of time into these. One suggestion
(beating a dead horse here) is to upgrade to a slightly newer kernel. Maybe 2.6.33? Again, thanks for all you do, Rob

mahto

sounds good but won't boot

#17 Post by mahto »

Hi, this sounds like a good choice for my old Thinkpad X30, but it doesn't finish booting. I get: "ERROR, cannot find Puppy on 'idecd' boot media."
I'm booting from external USB CD drive. Is there a boot option to tell Puppy to look for the USBCD?

tia

toomanyquestions

Legacy still has purpose

#18 Post by toomanyquestions »

I'm not a regular puppy user and I can't speak for others, but I've always thought Legacy OS was a nice system. ...Perhaps the meaning of Legacy has simply changed as computers have grown faster.

In the future you might consider a Legacy-Infused spin of a current Slacko. Karamba, the folder labels, multiple file-managers, overall styling, and your selection of programs still fills a nice niche in the puppy world.

Colonel Panic

Re: Legacy still has purpose

#19 Post by Colonel Panic »

toomanyquestions wrote:
I'm not a regular puppy user and I can't speak for others, but I've always thought Legacy OS was a nice system. ...Perhaps the meaning of Legacy has simply changed as computers have grown faster.

In the future you might consider a Legacy-Infused spin of a current Slacko. Karamba, the folder labels, multiple file-managers, overall styling, and your selection of programs still fills a nice niche in the puppy world.
Good post. If Legacy 2 has a problem, it's that there are fewer and fewer computers nowadays that it runs on. My (sadly ) now defunct Dell Optiplex was seven years old, which is pretty old by today's standards, and Legacy 2 still wouldn't run on it.

Only a small proportion of people now using computers have a machine as old as my current one (which was made in 2001), so maybe a better strategy for future development would be to concentrate on Legacy OS4, which is based on the 4.21 series and will run on more modern computers.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

James C

#20 Post by James C »

I've moved away from using old hardware very much, but still do occasionally and I still run LegacyOS.
Right now using a powerful P3 with 733 Mhz and 256 Mb of ram. :) 2.1 runs fine.
Attachments
Legacy 2.1.jpg
(89.98 KiB) Downloaded 1333 times