Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 04:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
How to Install your Printer/Scanner in Fatdog64-600
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 20 May 2012, 14:41    Post subject:  How to Install your Printer/Scanner in Fatdog64-600  

Some Linux printer/scanner drivers are available in 64-bit form. These will work in Fatdog64-600 using the standard CUPS installation procedure. Look for them in the Fatdog Contributors' Repo.

However, some manufacturers only supply 32-bit drivers. Luckily, many of these packages can also be used in FD600 after the following modification to CUPS:

1. Go here and get the 32bit-slacko-1.sfs. This is the 32-bit compatibility package for FD600.

2. From the Control Panel, open Bootmanager Configure Bootup.

3. Select the 32bit-slacko.sfs to load at bootup.

4. Open Manage System Services.

5. Select "cups32" AND deselect "cups".

6. Reboot.

7. Install your 32-bit printer driver.
----------------------------

Note: FD600 runs its web browser with the unprivileged user spot. This means that you cannot directly download and install a PET package from inside your browser. You must save the file, leave the browser, then install the package.

----------------------------------

Hewlett-Packard: The hplip_print_fd600 and hplip_scan_fd600 drivers are available from the contributor repo. These are 64-bit packages and do NOT require the above modification.

A light-weight scanning alternative to Xsane is Peasyscan. Find it in the Graphic menu. Read here for more information. The 64-bit version of Tesseract OCR is in the repo.

Some HP models like the old Laserjet 1000 series and the new Laserjet Pro p1102w require additional components. They are best installed using the foo2xxx driver. Various Samsung, Minolta and OKI colour laser printers are also supported by this package. The applicable models are listed here.

The foo2xxx_fd600.pet is in the repo. This is a 64-bit package. It does not contain the ICM colour profile data because monochrome printers don't use it. If you need those files, go here.

----------------------------

Canon: The Gutenprint driver system in FD600 supports many Canon models, so look there first. Also, Canon is now supplying 64-bit drivers for some of its printers. They can be installed by the candi method discussed here. I have attached a version of candi for Fatdog below.

If you still need a driver, look here. These are 32-bit packages and DO require the modification.

Note: The original Canon drivers by Patriot are NOT compatible with FD600 and should NOT be installed.

Most Canon scanners from the MP series will work OOTB in FD600. For newer models, Canon has their own ScanGearMP scanning program. It can also be installed using candi.

For scanners from the Canon LiDE 100/110/200/210 series, get the sane_lide_fd600-1.0.23.pet from the repo.

------------------------------

Epson: FD600 has the Gutenprint driver package which supports many Epson printers. However, newer models need the epson_inkjet_printer_escpr_fd600.pet from the repo. This is a 64-bit package.

For scanning, read here and get the epkowa_fd600.pet and the optional iscan_fd600.pet from the repo.

Also, read here about older Epson scanners and Peasyscan.

---------------------

Brother: Read the how-to here. Brother printers require the CUPS modification. You can install them using the "debbi" method or with one of the ready-made driver PETs.

The Brother web site DOES have 64-bit scanner drivers. You can install them with "debbi".

--------------------------

Samsung: If your Samsung printer is not included in Gutenprint, use the 64-bit samsung_print_fd600 from the repo. Read here about the CMS database for colour models.

There is also a Samsung scanner package in the repo.

-------------------------

Lexmark: Some Lexmark drivers are available here. These will require the CUPS modification. Your scanner may not work in a 64-bit environment.

---------------------------

Kodak: Print/scan drivers for various ESP and Hero models are now available in the repo. Read here for details.

------------------------

A few legacy printers can be installed using the built-in Ghostscript drivers. Typically, you would go to openprinting.org and download a PPD file into the folder /usr/share/cups/model. You will also need the foomatic_rip_fd600.pet from the repo.

------------------------

CUPS 1.5 in FD600 does not auto-detect parallel port printers. Run the command
Code:
modprobe lp

and try again. You will probably want to put this command in your rc.local file.

--------------------------

Once you have a printer connected to your Fatdog machine, you can share it with other users on your network. There are two ways to do this - through CUPS and through Fatdog's built-in Samba server. For information about the CUPS method, read Sharing your Puppy Printer with Other Windows or Linux Machines .

To make the client setup easier, install the CUPS printer on the server with a short name, like MY-HP.

But if you are already using Samba file sharing, you may prefer to use it as a print server too. This method has the advantage of identifying the printer by the server's hostname instead of its IP address. However, a little extra setup is required.

1. On the SERVER machine, open Control Panel > Localisation. Select a locale that uses UTF8.

2. Go to /etc/samba and open your smb.conf file. Add the following lines to the [global] section:

Code:
[global]
unix charset = UTF8
printcap name = cups
load printers = yes

3. Restart the Samba server. For testing purposes, you can do this from the command line with:
Code:
/etc/init.d/60-samba restart
/etc/init.d/60-samba status

4. Go to a client machine and install the printer. Read Using Samba-TNG as a Network Print Server. Ignore Note #1 and #2.
candi_fd600-1.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  candi_fd600-1.1.pet 
Filesize  5.77 KB 
Downloaded  102 Time(s) 

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:14; edited 10 times in total
RickGT351

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2013, 08:53    Post subject:  

The link you provide in
Quote:
1. Go here and get the 32bit-slacko.sfs. This is the 32-bit compatibility package for FD600.
doesn't work. However you can go here then click on 32bit-slacko.sfs. That works.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2013, 09:13    Post subject:  

Thanks. I have updated the link. I haven't looked at this in a while. Please report if you have any problems.
musicguy

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar 2014, 11:17    Post subject:  Canon MX432 in Fatdog64-630 wireless printing
Subject description: working!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Thank you ever so much, rcrn1!
Got my Canon MX432 printer to print wirelessly from Fatdog 64 630 rc2 using your 32bit-slacko-1.sfs and followed the directions you gave for manage services and such.

All this and I didn't even need to connect the printer first with usb!

Thank you very much![/quote]
JustGreg

PostPosted: Sun 04 May 2014, 20:28    Post subject:
Subject description: HP Envy 5530 series with Fat Dog

Thank you very much for the information, rcrsn51! I got a new HP Envy 5530 wireless print. Your post allowed me to connect to it. I used hplip_print_fd600 and hplip_scan_fd600 drivers from the repro. The Envy 5530 series is not listed, but, I used the highest number listed, HP Envy 120 series (hpcups 3.1.2.10a) driver. I printed a test page from the CUPS web page and as is well. Thanks again for the information.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2014, 12:06    Post subject:  

@musicguy: Many of the new Canon models have 64-bit drivers. You can now install these yourself using the candi procedure from above. I have not tested this in Fatdog, so feedback is welcome.

@JustGreg: I have just built new versions of hplip_print_fd600 and hplip_scan_fd600. They should appear in the contributor repo shortly.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Jump to: