Xorg High for Slacko?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
woodymnt

Xorg High for Slacko?

#1 Post by woodymnt »

I have a mutiple boot usb plug that includes Lucid Puppy 520 and Slacko 5.4. I installed something called Xorg High from Quickpet in Lucid and it works fantastic, I get almost 300 FPS in Glxgears, and lots if 3D games load and run smoothly. Slacko only offers Mesa and and no matter what I do I can only get about 45 FPS in Glxgears, and its really choppy. I know Glxgears isn't a good benchmark for graphics testing but I can't get any 3D games that report FPS to run in Slacko, not even Tuxkart.

I'd really like to get the same graphics performance in Slacko as I get in Lucid because Slacko has such a more interesting selection of software packages. Is there any way? I'm running on an Acer Aspire One ZG5 with Intel Mobile 945 graphics.

Thanks.

ndujoe1

#2 Post by ndujoe1 »

I installed the

Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid from Puppy 5.25 anyway in Slacko 5.6 and it worked for me.

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid from Puppy 5.25 anyway in Slacko 5.6 and it worked for me.
xorg is flexible in that respect plus the kernel dri modules are now included.
There does seem to be an absense of a package specifically for precise and slacko so perhaps someone could fill in the blanks there as I assume some users will want 3d acceleration.

mike

woodymnt

#4 Post by woodymnt »

Thanks for your replies. When I tried installing Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid.pet in Slacko 5.4, X wouldn't start up again and I just got a flashing cursor.

So I tried on 5.7 and did the same thing (I like the changes in 5.7). This time X started up again, but when I try glxgears in console I get: "Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual."

Still no games work like they do in Lucid 520.