want non-dropbox non-google cloud backup storage

Using applications, configuring, problems
dcc701

want non-dropbox non-google cloud backup storage

#1 Post by dcc701 »

Hi!
Just installed 5.7.1, got printer driver installed, using it, everything is zippy and great.
Would like to add a non-dropbox and non-google free cloud storage.
I noticed Dropbox has installable packets, but couldn't find these for any other cloud storage other than ubuntu one (which is going out of biz, right? bummer...)
Could someone help me with which cloud storage might be good and how to install it? I'd need maybe 2gb of a really basic service. I was looking at wuala and wondering if that might be possible. I'm not incredibly knowledgeable on these matters, so simple is good (but I'm willing to learn)!
Thanks,
--Doug

James C

Re: want non-dropbox non-google cloud backup storage

#2 Post by James C »

dcc701 wrote:Hi!
Just installed 5.7.1, got printer driver installed, using it, everything is zippy and great.
Would like to add a non-dropbox and non-google free cloud storage.
I noticed Dropbox has installable packets, but couldn't find these for any other cloud storage other than ubuntu one (which is going out of biz, right? bummer...)
Could someone help me with which cloud storage might be good and how to install it? I'd need maybe 2gb of a really basic service. I was looking at wuala and wondering if that might be possible. I'm not incredibly knowledgeable on these matters, so simple is good (but I'm willing to learn)!
Thanks,
--Doug
I've been using Copy.Seems to work well.15 gb of free file space in the cloud.

The Copy clients (pet or sfs) are here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 260#721260

If you use this referral link I'll get 5 gb free as well.
https://copy.com/?r=kiIxPp

HTH.

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @DCc701

One idea I saw is to setup your own cloud on your LAN. Most PUP distros has EVERYTHING you need for such. Everything. And, using no-ip, you can even reach it from the internet if you so choose. Further, if you have a smartPhone, smartCamera, or smartTablet, you can steer those to your home-cloud as well for storing your captured content.

This way, you won't have to worry about whose got your data stored.

Hope this helps.

slavvo67

#4 Post by slavvo67 »

Amazon has a huge cloud presence. They are quietly massive in that space.

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

I saw this article, today. It will appeal to those how hate the free services from Yahoo, AOL, Google, Dropbox, Apple, Microsoft, etc.

For 30 pennies per month and 7 pennies per hour of use, you can have a simple Cloud computer for backup or any other use which is pocket friendly and under your control.

Further, with its archival service, you can unload your Cloud machine at any time one desires.

Seems a reasonable alternative for some who may want a different level of control than what is given by free providers.

Either way, Google is still the fastest free provider on the planet by a tremendously large margin! I think all of its users recognize that benefit.