For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mcewanw

#2441 Post by mcewanw »

Yes, 8 MB sfs is not bad at all and has all needed from a glance
github mcewanw

fredx181

#2442 Post by fredx181 »

if Fred wouldn't mind recompiling his version without enabling non-free
If you guys are still interested, I did a recompile without non-free.
Also tried to compile ffplay with it but it seems not to go together -static and ffplay- , so the ffplay included is not static, well, almost, it needs some small dependencies.
Check it with:

Code: Select all

ldd /path/to/ffplay
ffmpeg-0.9.tar.gz
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing

Fred

mcewanw

#2443 Post by mcewanw »

Thanks Fred. I'll give that a spin later.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#2444 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Hi, William.
Can you help me with this, please:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 753#773220
I need proper instruction for xhippo and xrecord + if you have some better screenshot for xhippo and xrecord in action. I can make more but you know those apps much better than me.
Hi Toni, I'm out most of this weekend but will come back to you with some stuff for that soon afterwards.

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

saintless

#2445 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:If you guys are still interested, I did a recompile without non-free.
Thank you, Fred!

I will make separate sfs for upload on the site.
ffplay and ffprobe
Is there deb package that can fix this dependencies?
I will search for it to add it so the sfs is ready for use.

William, thanks. Take your time with xhippo ad xrecord stuff. I have much more to add in the thread anyway.

Toni

fredx181

#2446 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:I will make separate sfs for upload on the site.
ffplay and ffprobe
Is there deb package that can fix this dependencies?
I will search for it to add it so the sfs is ready for use.
Hi Toni,
Only ffplay is not static, it needs libdirectfb-1.2-9 package installed.
Btw, I first thought William's initial intention was to include a small ffmpeg in the next version and adopt some puppy programs that need it.

Just a thought:
If you create a sfs from all 3 binaries (+ dependency for ffplay) it will be even bigger (I think) than the official Debian (from stable, without non-free, is 41MB uncompressed)
And the Debian one has much more functionalty of course.

Fred

mcewanw

#2447 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: Btw, I first thought William's initial intention was to include a small ffmpeg in the next version and adopt some puppy programs that need it.

Just a thought:
If you create a sfs from all 3 binaries (+ dependency for ffplay) it will be even bigger (I think) than the official Debian (from stable, without non-free, is 41MB uncompressed)
No, I was thinking of an sfs Fred and then adopting some puppy programs for that. Definitely not thinking any version should be in the iso itself - I like the iso slim as much as is reasonable!

Yes, I looked at your one and also noted that with ffplay it would be bigger than Debian stable version. I think Debian stable is best (or maybe made into an sfs and slimmed down as Toni talked about. But I don't think it should be in core iso (just an optional addon at best, or simply let users fetch stable one or the deb-multimedia one for more functionality; with apt-get...)
github mcewanw

saintless

#2448 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred, William.

I need your help for a small experiment which will work I hope. If I'm right we will have easy way to provide some special small versions of non-free applications to the user without breaking any license.

Please, test this with fresh save file or without save file if you have 512Mb ram and more.
Download the attached archive and extract apt2sfs.Replace /opt/apps/apt2sfs/apt2sfs with this one and run apt2sfs.

This is a mixed version of apt2sfs and remasterdog which will create straight forward ffmpeg.sfs static with size 8,1Mb and no dpkg database information at all. Basicly it should work on any linux. Just start apt2sfs and click OK button. ffmpeg is already typed in the white field.
Please, when you have time test if this ffmpeg is working as expected. I'm not sure I can do proper test myself but I'm not sure if my cleaning was not too much.

apt2sfs messages and text are still the same. This is only testing script for now. If it works i will change the text.
We can provide similar scripts for self-made sfs from applications containing non-free software to the user.

Toni
Attachments
apt2sfs.tar.gz
(2.18 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

fredx181

#2449 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Hi, Fred, William.

I need your help for a small experiment which will work I hope. If I'm right we will have easy way to provide some special small versions of non-free applications to the user without breaking any license.
Just tried and works very well.
I see in the script, you made it remove libraries and after that create symlinks.
Is that because otherwise it won't work?
I ask because I have more and more doubts about apt2sfs (I experienced some not working packages).

As a coincident I was just thinking of something else in the direction of remastercow before I read your post.
I think you made the DEVX sfs like that (with remastercow and remove the dpkg registration).
That would be better I think because every pre/postinstall script from every package will then be executed.
Then you wouldn't have to make separate script for every program, like in this case ffmpeg.

Fred

saintless

#2450 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred!

I hoped it will work. I will wait for William's word and if it is OK for him I think we have ffmpeg sfs problem solved. It will not be available for download but downloading the script will create non-free ffmpeg module in a few minutes for every user. We can combine this script in a module with separate applications that need ffmpeg.
fredx181 wrote:I see in the script, you made it remove libraries and after that create symlinks.
Is that because otherwise it won't work?
The two libs are created two times. I have no idea why but they have the same names and the same size. This why I removed both creating symlinks instead.

Fred, if you need any help about your idea just write what you need.
Devx has apt-get information but it is renamed in case I decide to make update dpkg script later. If I remember right.

Toni

saintless

#2451 Post by saintless »

New version ffmpeg2sfs attached.
Extract the archive and click on ffmpeg2sfs to start it.
Edited information text and removed option to manually clean the working folder. After click on OK button the ffmpeg.sfs will be created without any confirmation from the user.

Toni
Attachments
ffmpeg2sfs.zip
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

mcewanw

#2452 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Thank you, Fred!

I hoped it will work. I will wait for William's word and if it is OK for him I think we have ffmpeg sfs problem solved. It will not be available for download but downloading the script will create non-free ffmpeg module in a few minutes for every user. We can combine this script in a module with separate applications that need ffmpeg.
Not long out of bed at this end of the world. Good to find this new development. I'll try it out later today, particularly with pavrecord since that is a good and useful quick test to see if it is working okay.

EDIT: Couldn't wait to try it, so have it making the ffmpeg sfs right now as I eat some breakfast! All going well so far. My only one thought is that I think it would be good for the intro text to be in emphasis about /var/cache/apt/archives getting cleaned out, just in case they want to back that up for reinstallation purposes or use with aptcd.

It seems to work great Toni! On my system, it fetched and auto-made sfs of ffmpeg 1.0.8 from deb-multimedia repository, which has all that may be required. I haven't tried pavrecord with it yet; that I will do later today.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#2453 Post by mcewanw »

I'm having some trouble with ffplay not working on my old system but that could be something to do with video drivers on this system, which only works with x11, not xv, when using mplayer at least (with which I use config option vo=x11). Could one of you confirm that ffplay is able to play video's okay on your system and let me know if you used any commandline options (I'm just trying ffplay videofilename or ffplay -i videofilename on my system).

I'm actually currently testing with ffmpeg(including ffplay) downloaded directly via apt-get just to make sure I don't blame the new sfs. I'll be able to test on my other, newer, computer later.

I don't know of a way to tell ffplay to use x11 rather than xv for this old machine (assuming that is what the problem is)
github mcewanw

saintless

#2454 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.

Just tested fresh save file running ffmpeg2sfs, loading new created ffmpeg.sfs file and running ffplay with path to video.flv file.
Video plays. Pressing F keyboard key gives full screen.
I guess your problem is really how to make ffplay accept x11 option instead xv. I will try to google for some information how to add x11 in ffplay command line.

Toni

saintless

#2455 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
mcewanw wrote:My only one thought is that I think it would be good for the intro text to be in emphasis about /var/cache/apt/archives getting cleaned out, just in case they want to back that up for reinstallation purposes or use with aptcd.
Can you point me to a tutorial or quick way how to make the message line about apt-get clean to appear in red, maybe even red and bold?
Thanks in advance!

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#2456 Post by mcewanw »

Hi guys,

I've now tried the new created ffmpeg sfs on my newer computer. ffplay is working fine on this one. I have pavrecord running too, albeit with a minor alteration to use xterm rather than rxvt. One thing not working as pavrecord stands is x264 video selection for encoding. I doubt that is anything wrong with the ffmpeg sfs but may be a different version of the associated lib and may need different options (as far as I recall I came across a similar or same issue in making a pavrecord version for Puppy Precise a year or so ago - this may be a different problem, won't know till I test it further - also I'll try the apt-get ffmpeg on this machine too, just to be sure. If x264 doesn't work whatever I do, I'll simply remove that option from pavrecord - most people would probably use mpeg4 instead anyway).

As far as ffplay not working on my older computer is concerned, I think the problem is the video driver available for that one only being able to do x11 not xv and I see no way to tell ffplay to use x11. Shouldn't be a problem on most people's machines.

I won't be able to test this further until tomorrow NZ time, but I'd say that all was probably fine with your new ffmpeg sfs anyway - a nice piece of work Toni.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#2457 Post by mcewanw »

Sorry, didn't notice your post as I was typing my last message Toni. Seems we agree my old machine problem with ffplay is x11 versus xv issue.
github mcewanw

fredx181

#2458 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:Can you point me to a tutorial or quick way how to make the message line about apt-get clean to appear in red, maybe even red and bold?
With bold red small font:

SETUP=`yad  --center --title="ffmpeg2sfs"  --text="  $LFONT \n Create ffmpeg module from downloaded packages by apt-get. \n <b>Note: This module will not be registered by dpkg. </b> \n After creating the module load ffmpeg.sfs \n Type ffmpeg in terminal to see ffmpeg help menu. \n To start fresh, 'apt-get clean' will run before downloading. \n<span size='small' foreground='dark red'><b> This will remove all deb packages in /var/cache/apt/archives.  </b></span> " \
--window-icon="preferences-system" --form --columns=1 \
--field="   Choose where to create ffmpeg.sfs module, must be on linux filesystem, ntfs or fat filesytems are excluded.  :LBL"  "" \
--field=" :CB" "$DEVS" \
--field="   ffmpeg is already set for download. Click OK button to start: :LBL" "" \
--field=" : " "ffmpeg" \
--field=" Run 'apt-get update' first (recommended):CHK" "TRUE" \
 --button="gtk-quit:1" --button="gtk-ok:0"`
With bold red normal font:

SETUP=`yad  --center --title="ffmpeg2sfs"  --text="  $LFONT \n Create ffmpeg module from downloaded packages by apt-get. \n <b>Note: This module will not be registered by dpkg. </b> \n After creating the module load ffmpeg.sfs \n Type ffmpeg in terminal to see ffmpeg help menu. \n To start fresh, 'apt-get clean' will run before downloading. \n<span foreground='dark red'><b> This will remove all deb packages in /var/cache/apt/archives.  </b></span> " \
--window-icon="preferences-system" --form --columns=1 \
--field="   Choose where to create ffmpeg.sfs module, must be on linux filesystem, ntfs or fat filesytems are excluded.  :LBL"  "" \
--field=" :CB" "$DEVS" \
--field="   ffmpeg is already set for download. Click OK button to start: :LBL" "" \
--field=" : " "ffmpeg" \
--field=" Run 'apt-get update' first (recommended):CHK" "TRUE" \
 --button="gtk-quit:1" --button="gtk-ok:0"`
Fred

saintless

#2459 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred!
I will upload new version with the changes on the site later.

Thinking more about apt2sfs using remastercow it will need much more cleaning. I'm not sure proper cleaning from /live/cow will be easy to be automated but if you like to try I'm with you.
I will suggest some changes for remastercow in the next days for the next version.

Toni

Edit: Uploaded new ffmpeg2sfs.zip with readme text included:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... eg2sfs.zip
I guess this will be the final version if there is no other suggestions for improvement.

Edit2: Uploaded also ffmpeg-static-0.9.4.squashfs- 13 Mb - compiled without non-free dependencies from Fred.
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 4.squashfs
Includes ffplay, ffmpeg, ffprobe. The missing lib for ffplay added so it is ready for use. Just type in terminal ffplay, ffmpeg or ffprobe after loading the module.
I will update the other threads with information later today or tomorrow.

===========================================

fredx181

#2460 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Edit2: Uploaded also ffmpeg-static-0.9.4.squashfs- 13 Mb - compiled without non-free dependencies from Fred.
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 4.squashfs
Includes ffplay, ffmpeg, ffprobe. The missing lib for ffplay added so it is ready for use. Just type in terminal ffplay, ffmpeg or ffprobe after loading the module.
I will update the other threads with information later today or tomorrow.
As I said sometime ago I did the static compiling for myself (only needing ffmpeg, not ffprobe or ffplay) to always have a reasonably small ffmpeg.
And I thought it could be useful for DebianDog.
But I think it's much better to create a sfs (instead of the static) from the debian stable ffmpeg (without non-free).
Size will be a lot smaller, specially with your cleaning skills, and much more functionality.

New improved 8) apt2sfs coming up in a short time.

Fred