Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 Aug 2014, 14:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Slacko 5.7 PAE with no firefox, abiword, gnumeric ....
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
rufwoof

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2014, 13:39    Post subject:  Slacko 5.7 PAE with no firefox, abiword, gnumeric ....  

Remastered Slacko 5.7 PAE :

http://tinyurl.com/nte2ku6

Slacko5.7PAE-no-FF.iso
144,084,992 bytes (138MB)
md5sum : fae1df3edf625819c449441eada4a9eb

Removed abiword, gnumeric, inchscape, epdfview (epdfview replaced with evince as that has better support for Ctrl-F (find)).

Removed firefox, added in Shinobar's portable firefox as a file (firefox-portable-0.5.tar.gz) in the HOME directory. After first run (setting up display and internet connection etc) copy/move that file to outside of savefile space, extract and run (see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=764889#764889). Being outside completely means that updates would be easier and not affect savefile space (cache etc).

ROX-Filer set to double-clicks (more compatible generally).

Fixed mplayer so it correctly fullscreen's.

Added ROX as a Open With option (so ROX can open other directories in a ROX).

Changed HTOP colours

Added in support of my old Belkin USB wireless adapter (F5D5060)

Lean, with the potential to stay lean (save documents/music etc outside of savefile space, use (load/unload) Libre Office SFS for office aps, Portable Firefox outside of savespace ...etc).

If you want/need gnumeric/abiword, then load them as a SFS. Use something like http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65400 where you can combine PET's and SFS's into a single SFS, which can then be loaded/unloaded on the fly as desired (also means that any updating of such programs is outside of savefile space)

Here for example is a SFS that I've uploaded for the above puppy that contains OpenShot (Video Editing), Audacity (sound editing), Blender (3D animation) and xvidcap (desktop video capture)

http://tinyurl.com/obb2z3n
multimedia.sfs
md5sum 975f853c1fe4c7edaf78d1b255634149
132,472,832 bytes (127MB)

There are some good Blender tutorial youtubes here http://youtu.be/Q93pE5jB1Uw

Personally my hardware is odd, old monitor, NVIDIA card etc. To get to boot the first time I have to boot with

puppy pfix=ram,nox nouveau.modeset=0

and then run xorgwizard to select the nv option, which requires a reboot (and creating a savefile)...etc. After that its all fine.
Screenshot_2014-03-15_005406.png
 Description   xvidcap (screen video capture)
 Filesize   94.89 KB
 Viewed   1309 Time(s)

Screenshot_2014-03-15_005406.png

Screenshot_2014-03-15_005311.png
 Description   Audacity (audio edit)
 Filesize   136.38 KB
 Viewed   1283 Time(s)

Screenshot_2014-03-15_005311.png

Screenshot_2014-03-15_005017.png
 Description   OpenShot (video/audio edit)
 Filesize   71.22 KB
 Viewed   1282 Time(s)

Screenshot_2014-03-15_005017.png

Screenshot_2014-03-15_004927.png
 Description   Blender (3D animation)
 Filesize   178.53 KB
 Viewed   1282 Time(s)

Screenshot_2014-03-15_004927.png

greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar 2014, 20:29    Post subject: Re: Slacko 5.7 PAE with no firefox, abiword, gnumeric ....  

rufwoof wrote:
Personally my hardware is odd, old monitor, NVIDIA card etc. To get to boot the first time I have to boot with

puppy pfix=ram,nox nouveau.modeset=0

and then run xorgwizard to select the nv option, which requires a reboot (and creating a savefile)...etc. After that its all fine.

What's your hardware? I have an older nvidia and have only just got to grips with loading the correct nvidia driver. Seems so much better than using nouveau for me (I've been needing accelerated graphics for CAD purposes and nv just didn't do it correctly)
rufwoof

PostPosted: Thu 20 Mar 2014, 19:37    Post subject:  

Quote:
What's your hardware?

Sorry, only just seen your post.

AMD64 3500+ with 1.5GB RAM and Nvidia GeForce 8600GT

With the correct NVidia driver for the kernel loaded and tweaking some of the settings to max (not really sure what I was doing, but just went through the menus one by one), it works really well. I've set windows to be opaque (so drawn as resize or moved rather than a square line outline) and moving/resizing whilst playing several mp4's at the same time works great.

I did have to tweak gnome-mplayer to get it to work properly (wasn't displaying video's full screen)

opened /root/.mplayer/config and entered a line

zoom=1

and then opened mplayer, selected edit, preferences and under the MPlayer tab in the Extra Options field entered

-zoom
eztuxer

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar 2014, 18:41    Post subject:  

Thanks for this puplet rufwoof.
How can I please set Rox to single click again ? (never mind, found & fixed)
Will report on hardware support on ultra new AKOYA notebook, so far, sound is working which is a feat in itself...
And good job on Mplayer full screen.

Henry

PostPosted: Sat 22 Mar 2014, 21:03    Post subject: Re: Slacko 5.7 PAE with no firefox, abiword, gnumeric ....  

rufwoof wrote:
Remastered Slacko 5.7 PAE :

http://tinyurl.com/nte2ku6

Slacko5.7PAE-no-FF.iso
144,084,992 bytes (138MB)
md5sum : fae1df3edf625819c449441eada4a9eb

I am very interested in this, but have tried several times to download unsuccessfully. It downloads for a while then starts over - and over. I've been using the same puppy and opera to download isos for years without fail. Any other place I can try?
Thanks!
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar 2014, 14:45    Post subject:  

Quote:
have tried several times to download unsuccessfully. It downloads for a while then starts over - and over.

I've been trying myself over the last few days and don't hit that glitch Henry so I'm struggling to suggest a reason as to why that might be occurring.

Stumped Crying or Very sad
Henry

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar 2014, 15:10    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
Quote:
have tried several times to download unsuccessfully. It downloads for a while then starts over - and over.

I've been trying myself over the last few days and don't hit that glitch Henry so I'm struggling to suggest a reason as to why that might be occurring.

Stumped Crying or Very sad

Thanks. Sorry for the bother. It was just that I never have a problem with isos. Downloaded two this morning, Maybe it's something with that google notice I get, or that I don't have wget. I always just use Opera. No worries.
James C

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar 2014, 15:43    Post subject:  

For whatever it's worth , I just successfully downloaded this with Chrome.....no problem.
rogerology

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr 2014, 11:19    Post subject: Can't download file from Google Drive
Subject description: I get an error message

This is the error message I get: "Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist."
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: