VLC freeze system - FatDog64

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jp734

VLC freeze system - FatDog64

#1 Post by jp734 »

I love puppy linux but always had a difficult time getting my 3 monitor / 2 gpu setup working, until I gave FatDog64 a try. Installed their Catalyst 14.1b driver and it worked at the first try....but, I'm not sure if it's what causes VLC to lock the system up.

When I first tried the distro, meaning I did not have a savefile yet, VLC worked just fine. Everything worked fine as a matter of fact. After a couple of hours playing with it, I've decided to setup the printer and install the video driver. Reboot the system, created the savefile and went ahead with the Catalyst to set things up. Another reboot and I said it's time for a break, relax and watch a movie. Well, that's when I started experiencing the problem. When I start VLC, system froze and only way to recover is a hard shut down. If I don't use VLC, the system works just fine: browser, email, libreoffice, gimp. Was able to use them without the system locking up.

clues??? - Oh, forgot to mention. Only one SFS file loaded LibreOffice 4.2.2
System: Core2Quad 4GB Ram, 2 AMD HD5450

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

update the x windows pet from the same date range.. they are suppost to be paired together... Also a setting change for not using pua or other midlevel libs help but not needed if you pickup newest x windows pet. Also two versions of ATI exist. below 5000 called legacy and above called 5000HD most newer win7 and all win8 would be above 5000HD.

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

jp734

#4 Post by jp734 »

thank you very much for the response. I will surely update those two files and will let you know tomorrow.

jp734

#5 Post by jp734 »

Installing these two pets didn't wok for me. To make sure there will be no conflicts. I started fresh with a "no savefile" option. Then installed your suggested pets. After reboot, all I got was a black screen with a weird looking blue character. The only one catalyst driver that works for me is the "14.1b-FD630-HD5000-and-up". Why it would lock up the system every time I use VLC, don't know at this point. AND IT ONLY HAPPENS WITH VLC.

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

sorry order is tricky and it takes at least three reboots to clear up. Start with x driver pet alone. Choice is to blacklist builtin driver. save to fresh save file. reboot.. install ati pet and reboot without running it to get the kernel drivers loaded ( could be why you get black screen ) third boot should have everything cleared up.

Sorry most upgrades are never this complex but the automatic configure of livedvd causes those headaches. I remaster at this stage to lock it in and run from liveDVD in writeback mode.

jp734

#7 Post by jp734 »

Thanks TedDog, that did the trick. I think it's a good idea to do what you suggested, remaster at this point, but just have one question. Once you remaster, will that be tailored my own system only or I can use it on any pc. My biggest concern is my dual gpu / triple screen setup.

Ted Dog

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

for the most part half and half... It will work perfectly on orginal and automatic configure methods generally on everything else. It does seem to stick the default desktop screen to whatever your multiple screen layout defaults to. For me its going to try HDMI if I remaster in that mode.
I have 3 64bits machines two nv and one ATI. remaster different drivers have issues.

jp734

#9 Post by jp734 »

Hmm, I think I will just make a backup of my savefile for now. Thanks again.