Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sklimkin

JWM and Tray

#2221 Post by sklimkin »

I need to add the icon to start the program 'xxkb' indicator of the current keyboard layout.
The icon should appear at the bottom right in 'Tray' somewhere around Frisbee.
I used to do this easily in Xfce4 (Porteus-Debian), a bit more complicated in IceWM (Debian-Wheezy), and now in JWM I can not do.

In short: how to add anything to the system 'Tray' in the running Sisem Debian-Dog, if running JWM?
If this has been discussed before and I missed a message, please give a link.

Sergey.

saintless

Re: JWM and Tray

#2222 Post by saintless »

sklimkin wrote:In short: how to add anything to the system 'Tray' in the running Sisem Debian-Dog, if running JWM?
If this has been discussed before and I missed a message, please give a link
Hi, Sergey.
Try this: edit /root/.jwm/jwm.tail and add this for experiment:

Code: Select all

<Swallow name="xeyes" width="64">
         xeyes
      </Swallow>
just before:

<!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->
      <Swallow name="xload" width="64">
         xload -nolabel -bg black -fg red -hl white
      </Swallow>
<Clock format="%H:%M">xclock</Clock>
Then type in terminal menu-puppy (or click Refresh-menus button) and jwm -restart

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#2223 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Your last moded version works for me.
I will add remove lost+found dir line and maybe some more menu.list options I will test it more.

Terry,
The section for chosing directory does not work with simple replacing in debdog-installer last posted from Fred. It errors in line 10 (if i do not mistake).
We have 3 different version of drive-info and mnt-img.
I keep them all as backup and replacing options in /opt/bin but I will use for testing drive-info from Fred since it is the working one with last posted debdog-install.
I will use also the first mnt-img which opens new xfe window for SFS, Squashfs and ISO and auto-unmounts when the window is closed. It works well and the code is very simple and clear.

Toni

sunburnt

#2224 Post by sunburnt »

Toni; The only differences in old and new mnt-img is:
New one checks if image file is already mounted and if it is, it uses existing mount.
And it should unmount the image file when run a second time ( same as old one ).
The main difference here is the new one uses existing mount and unmounts that.
But none of them have code to unmount the image file when file manager is closed.
All mnt-img files mount the image file if it`s not mounted, and unmount if it is.
# I can make Xfe be the default file manager and add a new option to it "-nofm".

### I`ll rework the installer and post it, then Fred can edit it and then re-post it.

fredx181

#2225 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All
Ok, I picked up working on the installer, thanks Terry and William for the advice about "directory only"
Almost got a nervous breakdown but Toni's wise words prevented that:
About DebianDog project - the most important thing to keep it alive is not to loose our desire to work on it. Pushing yourself too much is not the right way to do it.
I suggest everyone work when he feels like and on what he feels like best and ask for help when it is needed. It worked to the moment and rushing for new beta iso should not change this. Beta will come out in a month or more if it is needed.
The important thing is we feel comfortable and working without pressure on DebianDog.
Thanks Toni :D

Now more seriously, Toni is right, let's keep the fun alive!

Back to the installer:
I kept the checkbox for disable journal for ext4.
IMHO, why force it as default for removable drives and not give the choice (btw, the box is checked by default) .
Added more to it:
- Instead of choosing 'vmlinuz' you can choose a directory with the DebianDog files inside (checks if it's containing a vmlinuz file)
- Progress bar for the copying.
- Warning + little help message text when installing to FAT filesystem (because of the symlink in 'base' folder)
- maybe more that I can't remember right now :)

I've tried Terry's latest drive-info but I don't like the entries it gives like sdb, sdc only (It should be only partitions like sdb1, sdb2... IMO) so kept the previous one included in the zip.

Feel free to edit as you like (e.g. add menu.lst items) and maybe Terry or William have more advice about gtkdialog setup or any other.

Attached debdog-inst-mod3.zip

Fred
Attachments
debdog-inst-mod3.zip
DebianDog Installer mod v3
(140.11 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

saintless

#2226 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred!
Looks great and copy progress bar added ;)
I see change to copy only /live folder from the iso which is good in my opinion.
Tested with folder copy and it works.
Remove lost+found commands do not work I will change them with this one:

rmdir "$MNT"/lost+found
I will also add menu entry for copy to ram boot, but after Terry and William word it is OK for final changes and remaster.

Toni

sklimkin

JWM - add to Tray

#2227 Post by sklimkin »

Hi Toni !

<Swallow name="xxkb" width="32">xxkb</Swallow>
then RESTART (not REFRESH)
works for me fine.

Sergey.

fredx181

#2228 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
Glad it works OK, should be more tested though.
Remove lost+found commands do not work I will change them with this one:
Code:
rmdir "$MNT"/lost+found
Yes, I see now , forgot the dash before "rf", what you have is also fine of course.
I was thinking to automate copying live/01-filesystem.squashfs to live/debian/base/01-filesystem.xzm only in case filesystem is FAT.
It should be rather easy to implement that in the installer, what do you think?
A lot of people still use FAT for flash drives so it would be user-friendly IMO.

Fred

saintless

#2229 Post by saintless »

sunburnt wrote:Toni; The only differences in old and new mnt-img is:
New one checks if image file is already mounted and if it is, it uses existing mount.
And it should unmount the image file when run a second time ( same as old one ).
The main difference here is the new one uses existing mount and unmounts that.
But none of them have code to unmount the image file when file manager is closed.
All mnt-img files mount the image file if it`s not mounted, and unmount if it is.
# I can make Xfe be the default file manager and add a new option to it "-nofm".
Hi, Terry.

/opt/bin/mnt-img in the last DebianDog iso mounts on first click and unmounts on second. It opens Rox window for sfs and squashfs. The only problem is it does not open window for iso files. It works OK.

Next two versions from the previous page:
This one:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=76143
Opens new Xfe window for sfs, squashfs and iso but do not unmount on second click. I wrote about this on the previous page. It only mounts.

This one:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=76149
It does not open new window and does not unmount. Only mounts.

This one is working best in my opinion. It is rough cut-edit from me version of puppy mount script from Barry and you I think. It is a very small part from the original but it works fine.
It mounts with single click and opens new Xfe window for sfs, squashfs and iso files. After closing the Xfe window it unmounts the mount point in /media.

#!/bin/bash
set -x

imgFile="$1"
 if [ -z "$imgFile" ] ;then exit 1 ;fi
 if [ "`dirname $imgFile`" = '\.' ] ;then
  imgFile="`pwd``echo $imgFile |sed 's/^\.//'`"
 fi
 Mnt='/media/'`echo "$imgFile" |sed "s#^\.##g" |sed "s#/#+#g"`

Ext=`echo "$imgFile" |sed 's/^.*\.//'` # get file type from extention
  if [ "$Ext" = '2fs' ] ;then
   Type='ext2'
  elif [ "$Ext" = '3fs' ] ;then
   Type='ext3'
  elif [ "$Ext" = '4fs' ] ;then
   Type='ext4'
  elif [ "$Ext" = 'sfs' ] ;then
   Type='squashfs'
  elif [ "$Ext" = 'squashfs' ] ;then
   Type='squashfs'
   elif [ "$Ext" = 'iso' ] ;then
   Type='iso9660'
  fi

mkdir -p $Mnt
  mount -t $Type -o loop $imgFile $Mnt
  xfe -p n=1 $Mnt

umount $Mnt
  Err=$?
  rmdir $Mnt
At the moment the choice is this last one or the existing one in the last iso.

Toni

saintless

#2230 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:I was thinking to automate copying live/01-filesystem.squashfs to live/debian/base/01-filesystem.xzm only in case filesystem is FAT.
A lot of people still use FAT for flash drives so it would be user-friendly IMO.
Yes, Fred, I think it will be good. It will make the iso size almost double but it will boot both ways on Fat formated drives.
Do you think it is possible to include option message box for this with warrning and option to accept or cancel?

Toni

fredx181

#2231 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:Do you think it is possible to include option message box for this with warrning and option to accept or cancel?
Yes, I understand what you mean, I'll work on it.

Fred

saintless

#2232 Post by saintless »

Hi, All.

Just some information for new modules for DebianDog.
New kernel module archive uploaded:
024-kernel-3.12-debian-and-porteus-boot.tar.gz
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... oot.tar.gz

This is Debian kernel 3.12.0.bpo.1 which Fred included in latest Porteus-Wheezy. In the archive are included initr4.img (downgraded with live-boot v2) and porteus initrd4.xz for porteus boot.
Now DebianDog can be easy remastered with almost latest debian kernel with debian and porteus boot options.
As usual there is single click executable update dpkg database script included in /opt/bin

Also separate firmware module uploaded with firmware from Porteus-Wheezy:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... s.squashfs

Toni

mcewanw

#2233 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: I kept the checkbox for disable journal for ext4.
IMHO, why force it as default for removable drives and not give the choice (btw, the box is checked by default) .
Yes, I agree, using defaults is a good way to make things easy for most users, whilst still allowing flexibility for those wishing to change these defaults.
fredx181 wrote: Added more to it:
- Instead of choosing 'vmlinuz' you can choose a directory with the DebianDog files inside (checks if it's containing a vmlinuz file)
- Progress bar for the copying.
These are nice additions Fred.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

cloning your main debiandog install onto new usb flash stick

#2234 Post by mcewanw »

Just been playing with Fredmod of Terry's debiandog-install.

Using 8GB usb flash stick with ext4 fs. First I installed using iso File selection; brings fresh system onto the flash. Worked fine. Dillo as initial default browser per normal.

Then I re-installed on usb stick by selecting my existing debiandog live directory as the DebianDog Folder selection entry. This allowed me to clone my existing Debian-PorteusDog Wheezy setup onto a usb stick (including my existing debian/changes folder, iceweasel and various stuff I had installed using apt-get earlier)! Perfect. The only manual editing I did to the auto-created menu.lst file was to add an addition boot section with changes=EXIT:/live/debian/ in it, because that's my preferred boot option, and also added a boot section for booting up my Windows 7 installation on the machine I tried it on. Of course if I also want fresh install using the DebianDog Folder selection method, I would just need to use a DebianDog folder which didn't include debian/changes folder in it.

I really like this unexpected effect of being able to clone existing system onto the new usb! Also, I'm happy that it is using grub4dos to boot the usb stick since I can just open up /mnt/home after booting up my new usb install and easily add frugal installs of Puppy and other distributions alongside the debiandog live folder and get any of these to boot simply by editing the menu.lst file on the usb. Very nice; thanks Terry and Fred.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#2235 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:
fredx181 wrote:I was thinking to automate copying live/01-filesystem.squashfs to live/debian/base/01-filesystem.xzm only in case filesystem is FAT.
Yes, Fred, I think it will be good. It will make the iso size almost double
I don't see why automating copying of 01-filesystem.squashfs would make the iso size almost double. At least, I imagine you could auto-move that file to become live/debian/base/01-filesystem.xzm during debiandog-install process in case of filesystem FAT. Maybe that's what you mean.
github mcewanw

sunburnt

#2236 Post by sunburnt »

New drive-info shows raw device because, what if the drive is not parted and formatted.?
Then drive-info would not show anything at all... You have to be able to see the device.

mcewanw

#2237 Post by mcewanw »

sunburnt wrote:New drive-info shows raw device because, what if the drive is not parted and formatted.?
Then drive-info would not show anything at all... You have to be able to see the device.
Actually, that probably explains (?) what happened at one stage when I was testing debiandog-install - I thought I had somehome damaged my usb flash stick because it wasn't showing up at all (having deleted all partitions with gparted). It was fine after I partitioned and formatted the stick thereafter.
github mcewanw

saintless

#2238 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:I don't see why automating copying of 01-filesystem.squashfs would make the iso size almost double. At least, I imagine you could auto-move that file to become live/debian/base/01-filesystem.xzm during debiandog-install process in case of filesystem FAT. Maybe that's what you mean.
Yes, William, but it will be like the iso is double sized when you use debdog-install on vfat usb stick. It will copy the main module in /live/debian/base and copy to RAM option will use two times more RAM.
This why we need a message box what will happen with option to confirm or not install on vfat.

Auto-moving the main module in case of vfat partitioned usd is not an option. It will make debian boot unusable.
On ext partition it is possible to have both boot options with symlink which does not work on vfat unfortunately.
The point is to give the user both boot options to be tested. After that one of the modules and initrd files can be removed to save space.

I know you and Fred prefer porteus boot but I'm sure other people like me will use debian boot as default choice.

Toni

saintless

#2239 Post by saintless »

sunburnt wrote:New drive-info shows raw device because, what if the drive is not parted and formatted.?
Fred, I think Terry has a point here.
Does new drive-info make debdog-install latest version not to work proper? I also think it is good to see unformated drives in debdog-install window but you can tell better if this creates problems or not.

Question to Fred and Terry- can we use for testing debdog-install to install on hard drive partition instead usb stick? I can test this option easy on separate machine with empty hard drive.

Toni

fredx181

#2240 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All
Toni wrote:Auto-moving the main module in case of vfat partitioned used is not an option. It will make debian boot unusable.
Yes, I agree, both boot options should be there.
If the user will be warned and have the choice to copy or not, it should be allright then.

If this is really an obstacle, I've thought about a different setup:

- I can change extension to .squashfs instead of .xzm in initrd1.xz
- put 021-apps-porteus.squashfs in live/debian/modules folder.
- put 01-filesystem.squashfs in live/debian/base

Didn't test this yet but it should work I think if there is included in boot options for DebianDog-live-boot: "live-media-path=/live/debian/base"
It's easy to do but do we want a change like this.
Fred, I think Terry has a point here.
Does new drive-info make debdog-install latest version not to work proper? I also think it is good to see unformated drives in debdog-install window but you can tell better if this creates problems or not.
Yes, Terry is right, didn't think of it.
If you select a raw drive then message comes "partition mount failed"
And some users may not know what's wrong then.
I'll look into it to change message in that case so use Terry,s new drive-info.
Question to Fred and Terry- can we use for testing debdog-install to install on hard drive partition instead usb stick? I can test this option easy on separate machine with empty hard drive.
Not sure if I understand right.
You can use it on any drive AFAIK but watch out not to wipe windows bootloader (if it's there)

Fred