Modem dials OK but handshake fails to connect (Solved)

adam500

Modem dials OK but handshake fails to connect (Solved)

#1 Post by adam500 »

I am trying to set up my notebook for dial-up use, using a USB 56k modem. I'm using a LiveCD of puppy precise 5.7.1.

I am gradually making progress. First there was a problem getting the modem recognized, but that has now been resolved thanks to WvDial.

My current issue is a problem with the handshaking with my ISP (Copper.net), which they say will work with Linux but they have made it clear they will not offer Linux support.

As I am brand new to Linux I'm not even sure what info would be helpful to troubleshoot the issue, although I think the problem might be a common one.

I have inserted the ISP phone number, my user name, and my password. It dials properly and I can hear it trying to make the handshake, but the connection never gets made. I can observe the software attempting to connect several times but eventually gives up stating something like "No connection made. Possibly due to ISP prompting for something". Sorry I didn't write it down or copy it.

Copper.net states that their service uses no proprietary software to connect, so I was hoping I could use them as a dial-up provider. I don't know what to try next or even what info would be helpful.

Update:

For what it's worth, I should add that the same computer currently can connect without problems to another dial up ISP using Windows and the same modem.
Last edited by adam500 on Mon 07 Apr 2014, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

ardvark

#2 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Welcome to the forums :)

My initial guess is that you will need to play with a couple settings in the wvdial.conf file and see if that fixes the problem. It usually has for me in the past. This would be to set the option for "carrier check" to "no" and if that doesn't work, try enabling "stupid mode." Please see here for more information. :)

Also, are you using a "frontend" program like gnomePPP to connect with or are you using wvdial through the command line?

Thanks!
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

adam500

#3 Post by adam500 »

Thanks for the welcome...and the info.

Also, are you using a "frontend" program like gnomePPP to connect with or are you using wvdial through the command line?

I'm using the program that opens when I click on the 'Connect' icon on the Precise Puppy desktop, which I believe takes me to 'PupDial modem internet dialer', which is where I then click on it's Connect button.

Thanks for the references of commands. I know this is probably a tedious troubleshoot. I'm willing to do the legwork but just didn't know what commands to try..or how to try them. As I mentioned, I am brand new to Linux and have never used it's command line, so it's all an adventure at this point.

I'll try a few things you mentioned and report back.

Thanks again :D

adam500

#4 Post by adam500 »

:D

Good News! It worked.

I ended up setting it to No Carrier and Stupid Mode. I'm sure I tried messing with those settings before but that was probably before my modem was found.

Thanks for the help. I was thinking it was something simple but got cold feet thinking about all the things it might have been.

I'm using the SeaMonkey 2.19 browser now because that's what was included in the Precise Puppy 5.7.1 distro. I usually use Firefox (with my XP) and I had it set so I rarely saw an ad! I'll have to dig into some extensions.

I'm happy with Puppy but would these modem settings be the same for use in other versions of Linux?

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

adam500:

" Good News! It worked. "

::::::::::

Can you edit your post as solved?

Solved - Modem dials OK but handshake with my ISP fails to connect

It just helps others knowing that there is a fix.

Welcome to Puppy.

ardvark

#6 Post by ardvark »

adam500 wrote:I'm happy with Puppy but would these modem settings be the same for use in other versions of Linux?
Hi...

Most likely, yes. Wvdial seems to be a "linux wide" dial-up program. I've had to change these settings on other distributions, Red Hat 7.2 and Ubuntu 5.10, I think, were two. That was a while back. :wink:

Adblock Plus should take care of most of the ads. I'm guessing the version for Firefox is also compatible with Seamonkey.

You're welcome for the help, I'm glad you got it working. :)

Regards...