JXS 5.7 - May 10 2014

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tman

JXS 5.7 - May 10 2014

#1 Post by Tman »

Hi all,

This is JXS. It is a remastered derivative of Slacko 5.7.
Main features currently include various window managers and panels, which have been mixed and matched to offer a variety of different Desktop Environments. You get the same Slacko functionality, but with various different looks.

Thank You to 01micko and everyone else who had a hand in the creation of Slacko 5.7

The "JX" stands for Jwm + Xfce4-panel. It is the default Desktop Environment for this Pup, when it is first run. The "S" stands for Slacko, of course.

Version 3 is now available. Previous versions are regarded as inferior and have been removed to conserve space on Smokey01's server. (thank you for the access, Smokey)

Download Link: JXS_5.7_version3.iso
size:160MB
md5sum: 72952ee9dd8c7eba3f9219bc03255c55

Last edited by Tman on Sun 11 May 2014, 06:02, edited 12 times in total.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

partsman

#3 Post by partsman »

Hi Tman sounds interesting :D
I always wonder if you might make a pup that was somewhat like solidpup again :?
Solidpup was very 8) would like to see similar but for newer hardware :wink:
Might this be a start ? Just thinking out loud :wink:
Good to see your are still making puppies ! Keep it up !
And as always Thanks Tman :D
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

Tman

#4 Post by Tman »

Thanks ally. :)
partsman wrote:Hi Tman sounds interesting :D
I always wonder if you might make a pup that was somewhat like solidpup again :?
Solidpup was very 8) would like to see similar but for newer hardware :wink:
Might this be a start ? Just thinking out loud :wink:
Good to see your are still making puppies ! Keep it up !
And as always Thanks Tman :D
:lol: :lol:

Funny, you should say that. I actually do have something like that in mind. Right now I am just experimenting with Xfce panel. I think I might try combining it with Metacity next. But eventually, I will add Tint2, and probably Icewm to the mix.
In the long run, I will probaby focus on only 2 versions of pups... one for newer hardware like Slacko64, and one for older hardware..right now Barry's Precise retro is the candidate of choice.

partsman

#5 Post by partsman »

Tman wrote:.
In the long run, I will probaby focus on only 2 versions of pups... one for newer hardware like Slacko64, and one for older hardware..right now Barry's Precise retro is the candidate of choice.
Sounds good Tman ! I will say I would lean more toward retro precise :wink:
Only because its been my experience that it works well on old and new alike :D
I must say it is prob one of Barry's best ! It would be quite 8) to see it taken to the next
level like your solidpup :wink: With that said I feel too that slacko64 will be a big hit just not with older boxes ! But its Looking good so far ! I have to say both are excellent :wink:
Thanks again Tman ! :D
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

Tman

#6 Post by Tman »

For all testers, there is a hidden small JWM-bar in the top-middle edge of the screen, which I did not mention earlier.

I finally managed to get Metacity to compile. OMG that was a pain in the @$$! :x One of it's dependencies (zenity) wouldn't compile properly, until it was patched. :evil:
Not sure if I wanna use Xfce panel with Metacity.. using the panel with Jwm or Xfwm might be better.

Now, to find out how to configure the themes for it Metacity...

Tman

#7 Post by Tman »

I've been playing with Jwm + Tint2 combo and they are working nicely together.

I will use this combo for the next releasee and add xfce4panel to xfwm window manager.

Then perhaps Metacity with fbpanel. I want to reserve openbox for lxpanel for those who wish to add it. :wink:
Attachments
jwm_tint2.jpg
(175.09 KiB) Downloaded 690 times

Tman

#8 Post by Tman »

Hello all,

I am currently uploading JX_Slacko 5.7 version 0.2 to Smokey01's server.
I am about to head off to work in 20 minutes so I'll update the first post later tonight or sometime tommorrow.
I've added Xfwm4, Tint2, Openbox, Wbar, Conky, Zsnes, along with quite a few hacks and tweaks to get the Window Managers and Panels to work together nicely. Please try it out.. I don't plan to upload a new release of this derivative until at least another month. Once it's uploaded, you can download it from this link ---> http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/

The terminal commands to try out the different Window Manager/Panel combinations are in the bottom of the conky window.

Happy testing! :)

partsman

#9 Post by partsman »

Hi Tman :D
I downloaded v2 tonight but getting late ! I will def test ASAP :wink:
Just not enough hours in a day :x But looks great ! Keep up the good work !
And thanks :wink:

gcmartin

#10 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @TMan, really nice touch. Like the bar option to "conky" my desktop.

Running LiveDVD.
Edited: corrected name of the desktop's icon
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 04 Apr 2014, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

Tman

#11 Post by Tman »

gcmartin wrote:Hello @TMan, really nice touch. Like the bar option to "compiz" my desktop.

Running LiveDVD.
Hi gcmartin,

Did you mean the bar option to "conky" your desktop? :wink:
But you gave me a good idea. (thanks!) I think I will try to out Peebee's "compiz by sfs" to see if it is compatable..if not, then I will have to try and tweak it.
Glad you like it, gc :)

@all,

I've found a bug in the command "restarwm tint2" from the terminal is not fully functional. I forgot to copy a new .xinitrc file over during the remaster process. Also I have a fix for the tray icons not displaying in Openbox mode and xfwm4 mode. I will create a patch tonight..
Gotta get ready for work now...

peebee

#12 Post by peebee »

Tman wrote:I think I will try to out Peebee's "compiz by sfs" to see if it is compatable..if not, then I will have to try and tweak it.
Hi Tman

My "compiz" sfs is intended to add compiz to LxPup so I think you will need some bits of LxPup if you want it to run on JX_Slacko - although I guess you may already have added whats needed in creating JX_Slacko from Slacko....

Let me know if I can help....
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

partsman

#13 Post by partsman »

Hi Tman :D
All is well :D I installed a few pets code blocks,supertuxkart, vlc etc.
Looks and feels great ! Like I said before reminds me alot of solidpup ! :D :wink: Thank You !!
Maybee add transparency to conky ? :D
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-04-03_222859.jpg
(160.81 KiB) Downloaded 533 times

gcmartin

#14 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @TMan. Corrected that post.

Tman

#15 Post by Tman »

gcmartin wrote:Thanks @TMan. Corrected that post.
No worries, your typo gave me the idea to test out compiz, so thanks! :idea:
partsman wrote: Looks and feels great ! Like I said before reminds me alot of solidpup ! :D :wink: Thank You !!
Maybee add transparency to conky ? :D
Glad you like it, partsman. You can make conky transparent by editing line 53 of the file named /root/.conky/conkyrc_Holo
simply change "own_window_transparent" from no to yes.
For some reason though, it takes a while for the background to become transparent.. around 30 seconds or so on my computer.
I kept the conky background black for easier reading, but yes it does not nicer with a transparent background. :)
peebee wrote: Let me know if I can help....
Thanks, peebee! If I get stuck, I'll PM you :wink:

@ all,
I am working on the patch now, I will probably upload it tommorrow.

EDIT - the next day : The patch is now uploaded.. see link on first post.. this patch will be removed in future releases, as it will not be needed anymore.
-
Last edited by Tman on Fri 04 Apr 2014, 15:55, edited 3 times in total.

gcmartin

#16 Post by gcmartin »

Your work and @PeeBee's work are excellent examples. Externally so close in concept, look, and feel.

Are you sure you 2 aren't working together/collaborating? :) Great efforts!

Tman

#17 Post by Tman »

gcmartin wrote:Your work and @PeeBee's work are excellent examples. Externally so close in concept, look, and feel.

Are you sure you 2 aren't working together/collaborating? :) Great efforts!
Thanks :D. No we do our pups individually, but I do check out other pups for inspiration.

peebee's LXpup is indeed :cool:
I think developers infuence one another and the good/popular ideas are passed along.

Just wanted to mention again that the patch is in the first post, and will be
removed once I build a new release.

Edit: a bit later. I had to modify the patch slightly, since I noticed a bug when I tried it in pfix=ram mode. This will fix the double icon problem with restarwm tint2. What it does is renames all the .desktop files in /root/.config/autostart so they are not read by puppy

Tote

#18 Post by Tote »

Hello Tman, very nice puppy, only problem I have so far is I can't run Pmusic, in the console it says, missing gtkdialog r512. I can't find it in the PPM.

Tman

#19 Post by Tman »

Tote wrote:Hello Tman, very nice puppy, only problem I have so far is I can't run Pmusic, in the console it says, missing gtkdialog r512. I can't find it in the PPM.
Hi Tote,

It appears there are 2 versions of gtkdialog installed.. I may have installed the older version when I was compiling apps for JXS.
Your problem should be fixed by deleting /usr/bin/gtkdialog and the symlink named /usr/bin/gtkdialog4

Code: Select all

rm -f /usr/bin/gtkdialog && rm -f /usr/bin/gtkdialog4
The new version is already installed in /usr/sbin, but it was not accessed because /usr/bin has priority in the path.

Thank you, for your report. I will fix this bug in the next release.

Tote

#20 Post by Tote »

Thank you Tman, that worked. :D

If I turn off warbar it comes back on next reboot, and opposite to that, if I activate conky it doesn't survive reboot. (Not a big deal. Just saying.)

Thanks again.