Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#2121 Post by saintless »

Hi, Terry.

I'm not sure the scripts in /lib/live/boot are active while we use downgraded initrd.img made with live-boot v2. They are active with sure if we use initrd.img made with live-boot v.3.x but we do not use this initrd.img.

The initrd.img you need is initrd1.img for kernel 486.
To be sure download this iso.
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Light-Whe ... g-test.iso
It has all you need - one initrd1.img for Debian boot and initrd1.xz for porteus boot. We use them only on DebianDog now. No others initrd files.
From what I read you want to adapt code from initrd1.xz to initrd1.img

Extract initrd1.img and look at /init script and /scripts/live script.
In /scripts/live line 1829 I added:

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,rw /root/live/image
which does the rw remounting of /live/image
Otherwise /live/image is mounted read-only if no live-rw save file is used.
Not sure I can help you much with this.

Toni

fredx181

#2122 Post by fredx181 »

The "mount -t aufs" line is the actual union command.
But I don`t know about /memory , maybe it`s unique to Porteus.
Terry, it might be important because there's "/memory/changes" in that line which is simular to /live/cow.
On my booted porteus-debian I have "/mnt/live/memory/changes" and that's where the changes are saved inside.
Fred

mcewanw

#2123 Post by mcewanw »

sunburnt wrote:#
Toni; Parted allows excellent partition creation and manipulation. The cli gparted.
I`ll look at what is really needed to make the USB installer. Looking at shinobar`s grub4dosconf.
I mainly still just use fdisk and mkfs at commandline and occasionally used gparted which is in DebianDog. Is parted for your USB installer; just wondered why not gparted? Anyway, I'll try out parted, sounds a bit better than fdisk! :-)
github mcewanw

sunburnt

#2124 Post by sunburnt »

William; Parted is cli version of gparted as I understand.
Apparently it`s not the back-end for gparted as it`s not a dependency.
But both have the same dependencies, adding it was a small size increase.

# I wanted DebianDog installer to do it`s job with very little user interaction.
1) A selection of drives, both fixed and removable ( Why limit it.? ).
2) An option to use existing drive layout ( Preserve the drive`s data. ).
3) If a new layout is chosen, then a few options for the drive`s new layout.
4) Then do the drive-partition-boot work, and put DebianDog on it.

# It`s good having a fairly complete set of disk tools, need a few others too.

Fred; Looks like Porteus uses a completely custom setup, as I suspected.

# I found that Deb-Live should use a dir. with a "persistence.conf" file.
File must be in root of the partition, and it seems like a dir. can be used.
I was hoping that a simple added kernel command would do it.

# UPDATE: I asked about a persistence dir. at the Debian forum.
I asked for code examples, so hopefully I get some expert help.
Last edited by sunburnt on Mon 31 Mar 2014, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

Making synaptic etc work for normal user: methods summary

#2125 Post by mcewanw »

Not sure which method you decided to use to deal with the synaptic not running issue when logged in via xdm as a normal user Toni.

There are really three methods now (though I'm not sure if the third method misses anything, though it does seem to work). I'll just summarise all of them here since I found one improvement to the second method:

First method via sudoers file:

http://dev-loki.blogspot.co.nz/2009/01/using-sudo.html
First of all, edit /etc/sudoers (which one should always do using the command visudo as it validates the configuration before saving it) and allow the environment variables DISPLAY and XAUTHORITY to be forwarded when using sudo, by adding the following line:

Defaults env_keep += "DISPLAY XAUTHORITY"
The second step is to set and export the environment variable XAUTHORITY. The simplest option is to add the following line to your ~/.bashrc or add it to /etc/bash.bashrc.local, the latter being for all users on your host:

[ -n "$DISPLAY" -a -e "$HOME/.Xauthority" ] && export XAUTHORITY="$HOME/.Xauthority"
Second method (probably my preferred one at the moment, since it is simple and should work for any program being run as root I think):

Modify normal users ~/.xsession-jwm (and similarly for .xsession-icewm) to:

if [ -z "$XAUTHORITY" ]; then
XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority
export XAUTHORITY
fi
~/startup &
exec jwm
Note that I previously suggested adding these XAUTHORITY lines to startup-jwm, but that also required modifying /opt/bin/synaptic-start with the same lines at the top. Doing it as now suggested in ~/.xsession-jwm means that you can leave /opt/bin/synaptic-start as it originally was. Works fine.

Finally add the following to end of /root/.bashrc:

if [ $SUDO_USER ]; then
sudo -H -u $SUDO_USER xauth extract - $DISPLAY | xauth merge -
fi
Third Method is the simplest, but you'd need to do something similar for the likes of gparted as well as synaptic and perhaps other programs you wanted to temporarily run as root. Also, I imagine some possible problems with some apps not finding system binaries because this method keeps the normal user environment:

Simply change the sudo line in /opt/bin/synaptic-start to:

xterm -e sudo -E synaptic
-----

Like I say, my current preference would be the second method (modifying .xsession-jwm and /root/.bashrc, since I think it will work for all cases including sudo any app and also with su. Best to test it though just to be sure it is what you want.
github mcewanw

sunburnt

#2126 Post by sunburnt »

Here`s a pic of the installer so far. All that`s left is the tricky partitioning and Grub setup.
I simplified the DebianDog Installer so as to get it working quickly. ### Suggestions.?

Toni; How soon do you want / think the beta will be ready ( You`re team leader...).
Attachments
DebDogInstall.png
(18.22 KiB) Downloaded 268 times

saintless

#2127 Post by saintless »

Hi, Terry.
I like it :)
I think to upload one more testing module for us tonight or tomorrow.
Then it is up to you all if we find something more to be fixed.
In the meantime I will start making the locale files archives.

I think we are ready for the beta iso but since you started USB installer I prefer to wait for your call when you are ready. It is important to include USB installer in DebianDog beta iso.

William,
Thank you! I prefer to use method 2. I will change it as in your last post.

Toni

saintless

#2128 Post by saintless »

sunburnt wrote:# I found that Deb-Live should use a dir. with a "persistence.conf" file.
Yes, Terry, but this is if we use initrd.img made with live-boot v.3.x
The problem with this is if we use more than one squashfs module the overlay is wrong. It will overlay 01.squashfs on top of 02.squashfs instead the opposite. We also will loose /live/cow which is needed for RemasterCow script and is very useful option to save changes. This why we changed the initrd.img.

I think there is no need to work on including save folder option to debian initrd.img since DebianDog will have also porteus initrd boot included. But it is your call if you like to work on this.

Toni

mcewanw

#2129 Post by mcewanw »

sunburnt wrote:
# I found that Deb-Live should use a dir. with a "persistence.conf" file.
I was hoping that a simple added kernel command would do it.

# UPDATE: I asked about a persistence dir. at the Debian forum.
I asked for code examples, so hopefully I get some expert help.
As far as I understand it, Debian Live Wheezy uses a different persistence mechanism than DebianDog because Toni somehow was able to change that to use the cow method employed in Live Squeeze. So you probably have to keep that in mind Terry, though Toni can advise you properly about that. I hope to find time to work out what all these persistence mechanism differences are all about some day, but until then I'm happy someone else is dealing with all that! :-)

EDIT: Ah... didn't notice Toni has in fact already posted just before me to say something about that... and yes, I can confirm that the porteus initrd method works nicely to allow DebianDog the alternative of saving persistence to a directory.
github mcewanw

saintless

#2130 Post by saintless »

Hi, Terry, Fred, William, Sergey and all interested from testing.

I decided to upload iso version instead separate module. This way it will be easier for all to test DebianDog-Porteus configuration.

Uploaded DebianDog-PorteusDog-test2.iso - 107 Mb.
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Light-Whe ... -test2.iso
md5sum:

386e8eb5b8c5303b2e6993b03ffde085  DebianDog-PorteusDog-test2.iso
Important notes:
Root password changed from marina to root.
Login as:
username root with password root
username puppy with password puppy

Removed Pae kernel. We keep as default only 486 kernel now.
Other kernels modules will be created and uploaded on the site for Remaster from user.

Added examples-boot-codes text file in the iso.
For frugal install just copy the live folder on top of partition and add boot code for DebianDog or PorteusDog from the examples text.

Still booting to XDM login prompt. I will change it to autologin as root for the Beta version. It will be a matter of typing xdm-start and reboot to get XDM login again.

Added PicDrop on desktop. Terry, I will make also Deb package and you can make NoinstallApp for puppy to upload on the site.

Default menu is mk-jwm.menu from Terry. Please, test it with installing and uninstalling applications.

Added Refresh-Menus button for manual refresh. It works also to change Debian-menu to Puppy-menu.

For Debian-menu type menu-debian. To get back Puppy menu type menu-puppy for root or just use Refresh-Menus button.
From user account menu-puppy will not work but Refresh-Menus button will give back Puppy menu.

Wallpapers changing active from boot.

XFE updated to latest version. We have $HOME/.config/xfe/scripts folder and any executable or link to executable will appear as right click menu file/folder option. At the moment we use only activate/deactivate sfs module and create deb from folder scripts there.

Toni

dancytron

#2131 Post by dancytron »

Just installed the latest ISO. Great job guys.

Installed as porteus as "manual frugal" install. Installed iceweasel, xineui, mesa-dri, mesa-utils, and lxterminal from synaptic. No issues.

Did remastercow and put resulting module in modules folder. Rebooted to a different changes folder. No issues, everything worked.

Only small issue is on set default apps utility, the size of the windows cuts off some of the instructions.

edit: realized I forgot to install flash. In order to get it, I had to add "contrib" to one of the repository lines in synaptic. Now rebuilding my module file using remasterdog.
Last edited by dancytron on Tue 01 Apr 2014, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#2132 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Hi, Terry, Fred, William, Sergey and all interested from testing.
Uploaded DebianDog-PorteusDog-test2.iso - 107 Mb.
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Light-Whe ... -test2.iso
Added examples-boot-codes text file in the iso.
Toni
Given it a quick spin and looking great. xdm, synaptics etc working fine with root and puppy user.

A few minor issues/suggestions at this stage:

1. I think it would be good to also put copy of fixed Examples-boot-codes.txt in http://smokey01.com/saintless/Light-Wheezy/. Also there are a few errors in the existing text (some just being small typos):

"Boot code exaqmples" should be "Boot code examples"

2. Since you are saying to copy "live" folder for Porteus method then (including spelling fix):

"This will create automaticly /portdeb/debian/changes" should be "This will create automatically /live/debian/changes"

3. I think the Porteus/saving_to_directory grub menu.list stanza needs changed from:

Like the previous one saving changes only at shutdown but in folder /live/changes:

Code:
title PorteusDog (sda1) 
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/live/ changes=EXIT:/live/
initrd (hd0,0)/live/initrd1.xz
to:

Like the previous one saving changes only at shutdown but in folder /live/changes:

Code:
title PorteusDog (sda1) 
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/live/ changes=EXIT:/live/debian/
initrd (hd0,0)/live/initrd1.xz
I am using this last method, though I am using a different partition (hd1,1) on my usb stick.

I suggest we thoroughly test multimedia facilities are all working on our machines as well as menu and other system components.
Also need to test both Xfe and Rox filemanagers working as expected in terms of mime handling, left and right mouse clicking default actions etc. Despite Xfe being available, I think it is important to remember that many Puppy Linux users will tend to use Rox in preference to Xfe at the beginning at least.

EDIT1: Should also check out what happens when alternative webbrowser is installed. I installed iceweasel but then made symbolic link from /usr/local/bin/default_web-browser back to /usr/lib/iceweasel/iceweasel. I should have tried using Set Dflt Apps under JWM menu Settings (which I think would best be in menu as "Set Default Apps") but forgot to. Problem I had was the desktop icon remains as the Dillo one with the big P in it unless I also change /usr/local/bin/default_web-browser.icon link to point to iceweasel icon.

EDIT2: I'm wondering if you should include deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free (EDIT: or as dancytron suggests above) in /etc/apt/sources.lst, so a user can easily install adobe flash with:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
or have a paragraph in Examples-boot-code.txt (maybe calling it install_information.txt or similar instead)? Or perhaps a link to a site that tells how to do it for Wheezy such as http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-lin ... sh-player/

or have a quick-set up script that does all that and other such stuff (calling up System -> Timezone program) for the user? Another job for Terry...? :-)

All in all, looking very nice now and clearly about ready for beta release in own thread. Well done Toni for keeping track of everything and getting it all together!
github mcewanw

sunburnt

#2133 Post by sunburnt »

Guys; Basically there are 2 things that need to be done, #1 soon, # 2 sometime.
1) Find a point in the boot code before any partitions are mounted to do a fsck.

2) The aufs command makes the union and sets the layer order.
Stop the mount of the live-rw file and replace it with the dir. path /media/(part.)/live-rw
This is all that needs to be done to use a dir. for persistence.

# dzz answered at the Debian forum, a very helpful and knowledgeable guy.
/live/image is mounted ro, so it can`t be used as is for a Live dir.
Apparently the image file only needs to be rw, it being on a ro partition doesn`t matter.?
But he said there was a work-around, I`m guessing remount /live/image to rw.
As it is now, there`s no point in having a live dir. So USB Install will use an image file.

### HELP... I`m stuck on grub4dos. Nothing explains what`s really going on.
The Puppy help pages actually explained most of it. But I`m still stuck on details.

### Is this correct.? 4 files are needed:
bootlace.com puts grldr.mbr in drive`s MBR.
At boot MBR runs grldr that uses menu.lst info.

Apparently for Linux the boot flag does not matter, but some BIOS need it.

dancytron; I`ll look at the Set Default Apps utility.

Currently debdog-install does: drive wipe, partition, format, and makes good live-rw file.
BUT... It will not copy the DebDog files from the live dir. It`s fine cli, but the script fails.
# I`ve been staring at code too long. Can some one find what I can`t see.?
The section that the copy command fails is marked: #########

DebianDog-Install and a new Drive-Info
Attachments
DebDog-Install.zip
Path: /opt/bin
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

saintless

#2134 Post by saintless »

Thank you for testing, guys!

William, Dancytron,
Just change /etc/apt/sources.list with sources.list.bak in the same folder. It has all needed repositories. I will change them for the beta.
I use the default sources to be sure nothing non-free will be added in DebianDog.
I will fix the typos.

Default browser and Default browser icon - I'm not sure we can have them both changing auto. I left them to be changed manual from Set Default Apps GUI. We have to remove Default Browser Icon if we make every new browser to auto-become default.

Terry.
But he said there was a work-around, I`m guessing remount /live/image to rw.
Do not waste time to search workaround. As I wrote it is already done for DebianDog.
saintless wrote:In initrd.img /scripts/live line 1829 I added:

mount -o remount,rw /root/live/image
which does the rw remounting of /live/image
I will try to dig out some info for grub4dos and test.
Debian Wheezy do not have default boot fsck so this will need changing the code in initrd.img.

Fred, does porteus initrd have boot code for fsck?

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Wed 02 Apr 2014, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.

sunburnt

#2135 Post by sunburnt »

Toni; I ment to ask if the login gui is a text thing like ncurses.? It looks pre-desktop.
I was thinking boot codes and some setup options could be put into a check box panel.

Sorry I have not been able to do any testing for you. Hopefully in a day or so...

saintless

#2136 Post by saintless »

Terry, I think to make DebianDog autologin as root without using XDM by default.
Multiuser is working fine but I doubt many puppy users will like the login prompt at every boot.
There is easy switch on option typing xdm-start and reboot to get back XDM login. And with all Rematser scripts options it is easy to make what you need from DebianDog now.
I also plan to try to make Slim login manager work and add it as debian package or sfs file as optional login prompt on the site.

Toni

mcewanw

#2137 Post by mcewanw »

sunburnt wrote: ### Is this correct.? 4 files are needed:
bootlace.com puts grldr.mbr in drive`s MBR.
At boot MBR runs grldr that uses menu.lst info.
I use grub4dos on this machine I'm typing on, and have used it pretty much always since 2008. However, once it is installed, I tend to forget about the details since all I need to bother about thereafter is what I put in menu.lst.

Nevertheless, from memory, the 4 files you mention sound correct.

A grub4dos tutorial link:

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/install.htm
github mcewanw

saintless

#2138 Post by saintless »

Hi, all.

Just tested the localization with bulgarian language. Adding only /usr/share/locale/bg folder works for the programs and I can get debian-root-menu translated (most of it) in my native language.
Unfortunately it is not possible for mk-jwm root menu.
For root menu localization the user will have to use menu-debian option.

Toni

saintless

#2139 Post by saintless »

sunburnt wrote:BUT... It will not copy the DebDog files from the live dir. It`s fine cli, but the script fails.
# I`ve been staring at code too long. Can some one find what I can`t see.?
The section that the copy command fails is marked: ######
Terry, I get error failed mounting for hard drive partition in this section.

mkdir -p "$MNT"
		mount -t "$FS" "/dev/$PART" "$MNT"
		[ "$?" -gt 0 ]&& xmessage -center " Partition Mount Failed." && exec "$0"
Not tested proper with usb yet since I have only 512Mb one free at the moment. I will test it with 8Gb usbe in the next days.

About the copy failed command I think you should add -r or -rf as option because of subfolders in /live and /live/debian (but I might be wrong):

cp -r /media/iso/* "$MNT/live"
		cp -r "${PF%/*}/*" "$MNT/live"
I think it also should be "$MNT" instead "$MNT/live" since the copy command is cp /media/iso/*

Toni

sfs

#2140 Post by sfs »

sunburnt wrote:
### HELP... I`m stuck on grub4dos. Nothing explains what`s really going on.
bootlace - does not work with ext4
weesetup need
http://forum.puppyrus.org/index.php/topic,15557.0.html