The desktop

#1281 Post by Pete22 »

Thanks for all the replys, I was sure it is some sort of a user error,
I also noticed no one else had this problem,

But then my brother computers all had the same problem. I will check
with him about how he did his upgrades.

For me I upgraded from Carolina 1.1. I had already checked the md5 . It
checks out. My guess now is that a pet or sfs that my brother and I use
but no one else does, must not like Carolina 1.2.

I will do a fresh install. I think i tried this before and it worked fine until I
rebooted. However, this time I will not add any pets or sfs. I will just
connect to the internet and save and reboot. I will let you know what happens,

FYI, I do NOT have this problem with Carolina 1.2 nonpae version,

I will report back.

Pete

Pete22

desktop

#1282 Post by Pete22 »

I did a fresh install. I put in my timezone and started the firewall. I also started Frisbee.

The desktop came on when I rebooted.

Now I will try creating some links to add to the desktop and reboot again.

Its got to be some setting or some pet or sfs that is the cause of the problem.

Pete

Geoffrey

#1283 Post by Geoffrey »

Xfce Whiskermenu plugin

Edit: repackaged to fix screen lock command.

A nice replacement panel menu.

Last edited by Geoffrey on Tue 01 Apr 2014, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

SPPo71

fi_FI.utf8 file + locale

#1284 Post by SPPo71 »

How do I get to work finnish locale Carolina distribution and Momanger? Now, I mean the file is missing fi_FI.utf8 file? Purpose would be to begin to reverse the Finnish language version of the great Carolina 1.2

proebler

problem with nomacs image viewer and some other comments

#1285 Post by proebler »

Trying Carolina-1.2-non-pae
frugal from USB
on Compaq nc6220 Pentium M 1.73GHz

I find that the default image viewer, nomacs, does not work.
Is that a known problem?

I then removed nomacs using "Remove builtin packages" and tried nomacs-1.6.4.pet instead.
That lead to a dependency problem, apparently libraw.so.5 is needed.
I could not find that library, so tried with a symlink to the builtin libraw(s), naming the symlink libraw.so.5.
It did not work.

I also modified /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown in the known manner in order to be given the choice of not saving at shutdown/reboot.
While the choice is presented, the system then does not fully shut down or reboot. Instead it hangs and I have to use the power button to power off.
Is the modified rc.shutdown not compatible with Carolina?

Finally, may I suggest to consider using a later version of Thunar in further releases of Carolina.
Thunar 1.6.3 would do, it allows the use of tabs.

Thanks for providing this very configurable Puppy.
cheers
proebler

rg66

Re: problem with nomacs image viewer and some other comments

#1286 Post by rg66 »

proebler wrote:Trying Carolina-1.2-non-pae
frugal from USB

I also modified /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown in the known manner in order to be given the choice of not saving at shutdown/reboot.
While the choice is presented, the system then does not fully shut down or reboot. Instead it hangs and I have to use the power button to power off.
Lina's rc.shutdown has already been modified. If you are frugal from USB and have you savefile there as well you should have a Save entry in the menu and you can go to Control Panel > system > PupSaveconfig and choose Never Save.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Geoffrey

#1287 Post by Geoffrey »

proebler wrote:Trying Carolina-1.2-non-pae
frugal from USB

I find that the default image viewer, nomacs, does not work.
Is that a known problem?
No, it should work, no one has reported any issues with it.
I then removed nomacs using "Remove builtin packages" and tried nomacs-1.6.4.pet instead.
That lead to a dependency problem, apparently libraw.so.5 is needed.
I could not find that library, so tried with a symlink to the builtin libraw(s), naming the symlink libraw.so.5.
It did not work.
nomacs-1.6.4 was compiled with a newer version of Libraw, you will find it in the repo
Finally, may I suggest to consider using a later version of Thunar in further releases of Carolina.
Thunar 1.6.3 would do, it allows the use of tabs.
http://carolina-linux.com/rg66/X-common ... -1.6.3.pet this will work but when mounting partitions it shows the patition twice in the left hand column.
Attachments
thunar.jpg
(48.11 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

einar

nomacs-1.6.4

#1288 Post by einar »

I can confirm that nomacs-1.6.4 works just fine in Carolina 1.2
As Geoffrey stated it needs the updated libraw that i found in the repo.

Linux still needs better image viewers but this one is the best i have tested :)
hoping for better hardware acceleration in the future hehe

and to Geoffrey and RG66 : thanks for keeping my favorite distro updated :)

best regards

Einar

einar

#1289 Post by einar »

I have downloaded and installed the .pet. how do i activate it ?

Best Regards

Einar

Edit : Found it :)

Geoffrey wrote:Xfce Whiskermenu plugin

A nice replacement panel menu.

Geoffrey

#1290 Post by Geoffrey »

I've repackaged a new xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-git-carolina-02042014.pet.
the previous one had the wrong command for the screen lock, that can be changed by right clicking the panel icon > properties > Behavior > Lock Screen, change the command to "Xlock" this runs a script to set the password if it isn't already set, no need to re-download if you already have the old one.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#768398

rokytnji

#1291 Post by rokytnji »

Not sure what I am missing.

I installed Unetbootin 585 from Carolina 1.2, (Frugal install), puppy package manager.
Got a missing pzip-full message first time opening unetbootin so I went ahead and installed p7zip-cli since that was what was available.

Unetbootin opens OK with no error. Plug in usb. It shows as unmounted on desktop. I grabbed my MX-14 iso from my backup internal /dev/sdb OK.

I go to USB to select drive and nothing shows though /dev/sde shows OK on the Desktop. I tried mounting/opening it and restarted Unetbootin. Same problem.

I even reformatted in gparted again as Fat32 to be sure.

Ejected USB. Unplugged and replugged it in. Tested numerous times even in different usb ports to be sure. It still would not give me a drive selection in Unetbootin. I ended up making the Bootable USB on my AntiX 11 M/C shop Desktop Computer instead. Any extra info/details needed. Just let me know. Just posting the info.

USB drive is a SanDisk 2gig Cruzer that I removed U3 Firmware from long ago to make it a regular usb drive.

Geoffrey

#1292 Post by Geoffrey »

@rokytnji,

I can't get it to work either, I was using the precompiled binaries, I downloaded the latest source code and compiled it, but still no luck, it seems it's not compatible with some pups, but I'm sure it did work at one point, or in my mad rush to add packages to the repo neglected to test it, sorry. :(

proebler

#1293 Post by proebler »

Thanks for the replies to my earlier post.

Update on my experience with nomacs:
It does not work for me on a P4 computer and on Pentium M laptops.
It does work on a Pentium Core2 machine.
nomacs-1.6.4 (installed from pet) now works on the Core2 after putting in a symlink libraw.so.5 pointing to libraw.so.2.04.
nomacs-1.6.2 (which comes with Carolina-1.2) works 'out-of-the-box' on the Core2.
Trying to run nomacs-1.6.4 from terminal on the Pentium M gives "Illegal Instruction" error.

I have restored rc.shutdown to its original state.
PupsaveConfig is working OK and I do get the option to save/not-save at shutdown/reboot.
Power down works, but on the Pentium M laptop, 'Restarting system' still hangs and I have to use the power button.
Both these functions do work on the Core2 machine.

So both my observations seem to be hardware related.
Therefore my new question:
Is Carolina-1.2 intended for relatively recent hardware only?

cheers
proebler

Geoffrey

#1294 Post by Geoffrey »

proebler wrote:Thanks for the replies to my earlier post.

Update on my experience with nomacs:
It does not work for me on a P4 computer and on Pentium M laptops.
It does work on a Pentium Core2 machine.
nomacs-1.6.4 (installed from pet) now works on the Core2 after putting in a symlink libraw.so.5 pointing to libraw.so.2.04.
nomacs-1.6.2 (which comes with Carolina-1.2) works 'out-of-the-box' on the Core2.
Trying to run nomacs-1.6.4 from terminal on the Pentium M gives "Illegal Instruction" error.

I have restored rc.shutdown to its original state.
PupsaveConfig is working OK and I do get the option to save/not-save at shutdown/reboot.
Power down works, but on the Pentium M laptop, 'Restarting system' still hangs and I have to use the power button.
Both these functions do work on the Core2 machine.

So both my observations seem to be hardware related.
Therefore my new question:
Is Carolina-1.2 intended for relatively recent hardware only?

cheers
proebler
Carolina is based on Saluki started around Nov 2011

" Saluki is a woof-build based on Racy 5.2 with Xfce. The suggested target hardware is computers less than 5 years old. It should run reasonably fast on older machines and netbooks, but Xfce does need a bit more ram and cpu than the standard ROX/Jwm puppy - probably at least 512MB of ram and 1GHz CPU for decent performance. "

Carolina as grown in complexity since then with some newer software mainly QT, as a comparison to what machines you are running I run Carolina on a 2007 vintage
Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
Memory : 4146MB
you will still have a problem with the non-PAE version too, for the Pentium M it may be better to try Carolite-1.1 which is a stripped back version that you can add to from the repo.

proebler

#1295 Post by proebler »

@ Geoffrey
thanks,
I am aware of the pae issue with the Pentium M.
I have plenty of RAM and processor speed to run other Puppies, so it is no problem, just wanted to see what Carolina is like.
I posted my observations so that perhaps it may help others.

I am also trying x-precise-2.3.
What is the targeted hardware for that ?
I may post re the PupsaveConfig on x-precise-2.3, because it does not seem to be doing what it should.

thanks again,
proebler

gcmartin

#1296 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Geoffrey and @Proebler. I am a "M" owner, as well, as can be seen below. My "M" is a PAE model, as shown below. This system has been used in the past when testing all Carolina versions.

Some members have a non-PAE model. But members also have the PAE models too.

This is provided to indicate that not all "M" models were the same in functionality.

Hope this helps
Attachments
Hardinfo-report_Pg1_2014-04-03_012342.png
Hardinfo report of Laptop
(53.59 KiB) Downloaded 1172 times

rg66

#1297 Post by rg66 »

I also have a Pentium M 1.5Ghz and although it is PAE enabled, apparently the flag is not set. Lina seems to work OK but X-precise won't shutdown properly and acpitool doesn't work with any puppy. I think that's a BIOS issue with the Acer Travelmate 4500.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

don570

Uextract 3

#1298 Post by don570 »

Uextract 3 now works well in Carolina. It's very useful for extraction.
If rar and peazip is installed it will extract those archives as well.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87864

proebler

#1299 Post by proebler »

Perhaps I can now answer the question of my previous post myself.

Carolina-1.2 non-pae does not seem suitable for some 'older' hardware, at least not for what is available to me.
This is the summary of my testing the use of nomacs picture viewer and of reboot & shutdown with save/no-save option.
Pentium Core2: everything working.
Pentium M with pae support (Compaq nc6220): nomacs and reboot not working, shutdown working.
Pentium M without pae support (Compaq nc8000): Carolina boots, but no mouse or track pad function> no menu access, nothing working.
Pentium P4: nomacs not working, reboot & shutdown working.

cheers
proebler

Marv

#1300 Post by Marv »

proebler wrote:Perhaps I can now answer the question of my previous post myself.

Carolina-1.2 non-pae does not seem suitable for some 'older' hardware, at least not for what is available to me.
This is the summary of my testing the use of nomacs picture viewer and of reboot & shutdown with save/no-save option.
Pentium Core2: everything working.
Pentium M with pae support (Compaq nc6220): nomacs and reboot not working, shutdown working.
Pentium M without pae support (Compaq nc8000): Carolina boots, but no mouse or track pad function> no menu access, nothing working.
Pentium P4: nomacs not working, reboot & shutdown working.

cheers
proebler
Must be non-cpu hardware dependent. I run carolina 1.2, carolite 1.2 (non-PAE versions) and their predecessors on the following laptops basically with no hardware problems at all:
Fujitsu S6520 core 2 duo iwlwifi (5300) i915 video
Fujitsu S6120 and S6210 Pentium M (no PAE flag) ipw2200 intel integrated video
Dell D610 Pentium M (PAE flag) ipw2200 intel integrated video

In all cases flsynclient is used to configure the touchpad (ALPS and Synaptics) but it works pretty well on first boot, just not my preferences in click and scroll. The full boat Carolina is a bit 'laggy' on the Pentium Ms but runs and a LibreOffice SFS is the 'office' solution on Carolite. Can't speak to nomacs, I use viewnior/mtpaint as needed and only do mundane resizing etc. with images.

Just my experience...
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.