Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Nov 2014, 23:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Looking to speed up booting
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
777funk

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar 2014, 15:20    Post subject:  Looking to speed up booting
Subject description: HD installation

I just installed puppy to the HD and appreciate the simplicity. I have a few questions and I'll keep them in separate topics.

My first question and thanks in advance for the help, I see it's possible to skip or minimize grub timeout. That will be my starting point. Is there a way to shorten the load time? At the bootup after bios, it shows something about configuring input devices and kernel each time (takes about 30 seconds on that screen). Is there a way to skip this?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar 2014, 15:47    Post subject:  

Which version of Puppy? Is your HD install full or frugal? Also, how much RAM have you and did you create a swap partition?
777funk

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar 2014, 15:50    Post subject:  

I've got the Precise Puppy 5.7 and have it Full install. I've got 2GB RAM and did create a Linux Swap.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar 2014, 15:58    Post subject:  

I only run Puppy from a multisession DVD so I'm no expert, but I think a frugal install can be made to boot faster than a full install. As for the Grub timeout, I have no idea but I know the question has been asked and answered several times in this forum. Have you tried using the forum Search feature to look for "Grub timeout" or something like that?
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar 2014, 16:09    Post subject:  

quirky tahr boots directly to the desktop. people have sped up booting on other puppies (beyond my comfort level to play around with) and may be around to help you, but if you don't have much time invested in your set up, it's something you may want to check out.
666philb

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar 2014, 16:40    Post subject:  

hi 777funk

if you open the your menu.1st file in a text editor (depends which grub you used but it will either be on the primary partition of the first harddrive ... or in a folder called boot (i think) on the hd)

there is a time out setting on the menu.1st .... if there is a '#' at the start of the timeout line delete it and then enter the timeout value you want and save..... reboot Smile

777funk

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar 2014, 16:47    Post subject:  

Thanks very much for the help thus far! I didn't put that clearly and sorry about this but I was saying I was going to start by shortening grub timeout which I had found previous to the thread in my search. This will be the starting place and thanks.

I would like to know if the other things eating up boot time are possible to eliminate (i.e. the checking input devices screen etc). I may reinstall and use the frugal to see if that fixes the "issue" which really isn't issue. But if it can be sped up, why not! Wink
Semme

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar 2014, 16:48    Post subject:    

*Insider* thinking on boot speed >> Amigo and Technosaurus.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: