How to update Adobe Flash player?

Booting, installing, newbie
RaptureWatcher

How to update Adobe Flash player?

#1 Post by RaptureWatcher »

Hi i'm using Slacko 5.6 and using flash player 11.2.202.233 and am playing a game that requires flash player but i think my flash player is out of date because there are some problems with the game everytime. When i click update in the Utility Menu Adobe Flash Preferences nothing happens.
Is there a way i can update flash player to a newer version like 11.2.202.334 or version 12 like as for Windows? Can i install flash player into Wine and use some sort of browser there? Thanks

solo

#2 Post by solo »

You can find an updated Flash Player PET here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84267

Don't forget to uninstall the old one in Puppy Package Manager before installing the new one.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Try menu->Internet->Getflash Install Flashplayer
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Learn to do it this way and you won't need to rely on anyone but yourself for the update.

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

hmm there are only bug and security fixes for linux now.
Highly unlikely a game would be affected since most of them are exported as flash 6-8 cos they dont use the crap added for videos..... unless you found one that does of course.

Also the website would almost certainly test your flash version and TELL YOU to update.

It might be more useful to give a link to the game in question for others to test.

mike

ardvark

Re: Adobe Flash Updates

#6 Post by ardvark »

RaptureWatcher wrote:Is there a way i can update flash player to a newer version like 11.2.202.334 or version 12 like as for Windows? Can i install flash player into Wine and use some sort of browser there? Thanks
Hi...

Google is continuing to offer updated versions through the Pepper API on Chrome (not Chromium.) You can get version 12 of flash player (I have it on mine) but you will need to install the most recent version of Chrome. You can find a copy here, although I'm not sure the flash version will be 12. If not, you can try installing a copy from Google Chrome's home page here. :)

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

RaptureWatcher

#7 Post by RaptureWatcher »

solo wrote:You can find an updated Flash Player PET here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84267

Don't forget to uninstall the old one in Puppy Package Manager before installing the new one.
Now i'm happy that i have the latest one :)

Thanks for the answers i found out what the problem was i was not allowing third party cookies in my browser so when i allowed the third parties to have cookies then everything works fine. Something to remember to do next time.

solo

#8 Post by solo »

If you don't want the whole world to know your 'surfing' behavior, then blocking third-party cookies is a prudent move. However, this means a lot of embedded stuff may lose it's functionality, notably Flash content.

The trade-off is to have your browser settings set up so it deletes the cookies and history every time you close the browser.
The great thing about Puppy Linux is that you do not have to wait for 5 minutes to restart your browser after closing it.

This way, you at least have some control over who knows what about you. And if you use the Firefox browser, there are certain add-ons that can assist in having control over these things as well. I use a combination of NoScript, Redirect Cleaner and HTTPS Everywhere.

But then I am a bit uptight about these things.

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

firefox can also be set for you to choose which cookies to allow and remembers your choice. (or deny or allow for session only if not sure)
Can be a little tedious at first but calms down after a while.
Ad sites are obvious and third party needed ones are often sub domains and you will usually see part of the wanted site in the name.
Also it shows you which sites have a pile of crap going on behind your back and which don't.

mike