How to make a USB Puppy to use for secure sites?

Booting, installing, newbie
peterr2

How to make a USB Puppy to use for secure sites?

#1 Post by peterr2 »

Hello
I have been trying to create a usb I can go to sensitive sites with. I have Windows 8.1 with 6 GB ram.
I tried UNetbootin but have trouble like not shutting down, a lot of script booting up and requiring hard boot. It does wok sometimes and di not require download and install, I just worked from the desktop.
Linux live usb really entrenched itself in my pc.

I would like a program I do not have to install to create a Linux OS to seure my sensitive sites. Please recommend.
Thank you for your help.
Peter

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Howdy Peter.. This should fit the bill >> http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1834

peterr2

#3 Post by peterr2 »

Hi semme
If I am not mistaken when I tried the Universal installer it actually did install in the pc unlike the UNetbootin which worked off the desktop.
I may be wrong. Anyway I have created Ubuntu 12.04 with UNetbootin and it seems to work fine as I allowed 1 GB for persistence. I will keep your referral as a bookmark, but does it the program[universal installer] actually install in the pc ?
UNetbootin failed with Puppy and Mint and even now at times it freezes with Ubuntu. So your answer would be interesting and thank you.
Peter

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

You weren't scared of this opening screen, were ya? As far as I'm concerned it's portable.

Now your stick.. Who makes it? Has the original file system ever been modified?

PS >> These images are one> two.. or, from "I agree" >> to run.

There's *ZERO* install routine.
Attachments
uui1.gif
(16.03 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
uui2.gif
(14 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

peterr2

pen drive

#5 Post by peterr2 »

I just got an email from a moderator in a forum who said the only luck she had was with Lili. She has yet to get back to me with the program she used.

I have SanDisk 4 GB. and it was formatted properly by me. I tied another SanDisk and an Adata.

I had not much luck with discs regarding persistence and these pen drives are giving me issues with hanging and a lot of script on the screen. I just made a decent one, I hope.

I'll let you know when she tells me what program she made Lili with.

UNetbootin is ez and does not install and I hope the universal program is portable too.

Thank you for the help.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

I wouldn't say it's the only one, but it's listed in the same category.

You wanna watch for >> writes settings to and stealth.

Say, which pup are you planning to install?

peterr2

caution

#7 Post by peterr2 »

Semme
I used a 16 GB pendrive with Ubuntu 12.04 and it works well. I allowed 3 GB persistence for updates and changes.

I did notice what you mention which is something like "caution the world can write and something else can write also".
I assume this is a security risk. Is there a way to avoid or stop this other than doing the program all over again?

If I do it all over should I not allow persistence? How would updates be installed?

Thank you
Peter

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Drive persistence is fine. I was referring to terms used by the PortableFreeware site..
Attachments
uui_v1952.jpg
(52.52 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

peterr2

linux

#9 Post by peterr2 »

I wish I could remember.
Is there an issue I should attend to?
I did see, as I said, caution, all can see or write but I cannot remember if the site that launched UNetbootin said anything about stealth or write settings.
I am not skilled enough to be on the lookout for those terms.
I just placed, in a search box, USB live and when the UNetbootin site appeared I clicked to download. I always scan before downloading but did not know to look further.
Is it worth redoing and if so just watch for those 2 terms?
if they appear should I try another site, i.e., are they desirable or not?
I am not sure I can back track.
I hope I can make an adjustment if necessary.
Thanks again
Peter Hate to have my millions stolen.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

Peter, if Ubuntu's what you wanted on the drive and you're happy >> we're done!

If you're still looking for a portable app capable of placing Pup on the drive, this is it.

Would you prefer to post your questions in a different language?

Yes? Then maybe one of the first three sub-forums here.

peterr2

help with Linux

#11 Post by peterr2 »

Hi Semme
Thank you so much for your time and patience. I forgot this is a Puppy site.
I am going to stick with Ubuntu for now and hope to try Puppy soon as I have heard so much about it.
Peter