How to keep my Puppy installation up-to-date ?

Booting, installing, newbie
Usjes

How to keep my Puppy installation up-to-date ?

#1 Post by Usjes »

Hi,

How to I update my Puppy Linux, to ensure that all the installed software is up-to-date with all the latest security patches ? It is years since I have used Linux but I have vague memories of commands like
apt-get update
apt-get install
etc.
I tried Ubuntu recently and it had an desktop icon to look for all the latest updates/patches but I can't seem to find anything similar in Puppy. There is the 'applications' tab on the window that opens from the 'Install' icon on the desktop but as far as I can see this is for choosing and installing specific packages rather than doing a general search for the latest updates/security patches for all packages currently installed. For reference I am currently running Puppy 5.7 from a bootable USB drive. I used the UUI from pendrivelinux.com to reformat the .iso file on to the USB drive.

Thanks,

Usjes.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey jes

puppy linux does not follow that model (with minor exceptions - slacko 5.7 will update from slackware)

puppy does not use the apt-get stuff either

:)

Usjes

#3 Post by Usjes »

ally wrote:hey jes

puppy linux does not follow that model (with minor exceptions - slacko 5.7 will update from slackware)

puppy does not use the apt-get stuff either

Can you elaborate? What model does Puppy not follow ? Are you saying that there are no security updates for Puppy, we're just supposed to assume that it is secure until the next major release? If so, how frequently are releases made ? This seems very risky.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Mmm.. Pup's not necessarily security minded. You'd probably be happer with a "rolling release" type distro.

ally

#5 Post by ally »

the model you describe here
to ensure that all the installed software is up-to-date with all the latest security patches ?
been running puppy for over 3 years as only OS, the only problem I had was one browser redirect

as semme said, if you are worried then best choose a rolling-release distro, arch maybe

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Indeed other distros supply a lot more tin foil.

8 years and no intrusions may not be up to your standards...try ubuntu.

mike

EdD

#7 Post by EdD »

Lighthouse Puppy has an update feature. You might like it. I always used Windows with the updates disabled anyway. That "necessary update" thing never made any sense to me.
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).

alphadog

#8 Post by alphadog »

Usjes
If I can put your mind at ease somewhat ,the adage "this is not windows" works here ! My wife and I use Puppy all the time and we have had 0 attacks of any kind !
We do banking and all sorts of other "normal" activities with no other protection than a router and Puppys built in firewall.
You really do not need the latest of everything to be secure, just the fact that this is not M$ is enough for me ! (and her)
Dell Optiplex760 8Gb RAM 256Gb SSD+500Gb HDD(Now running Bionicpup64)

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

If your are asking about upgrading programs, bug fixes, improvements in general to a version of Puppy you are using. That depends on the version of Puppy you have. Most developers, of a version of Puppy, make improvements by releasing a new version.
Example:
Slacko5.5
Slacko5.6
Slacko5.7
etc....

There is no auto update in Puppy like other OS's.
Updating is a manual operation in Puppy. You find it, download, and install.

A Puppy version having an update manager is staring to be used, however that is very dependent on a data repository being constantly updated.

With specific Puppy programs, located in different data storage locations, hard to make one repository work.

Updating individual programs:
Additional Software (Pets N' Stuff) section of this forum
find the programs topic.
See if newer version is posted.
Download and install.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

8-bit

#10 Post by 8-bit »

If one is running a frugal install, and downloads a later version of Puppy and after clicking on the downloaded ISO file to open it, copies the SFS file, the intrd.gz file and vmlinux to replace the older version in the frugal directory, when you run it, You will be asked if you want it to update your pupsave file to the later version.
This only works successfully when using updated Puppys of the same version they were based on such as the Slacko series, and the Lucid series.