TkDVD won't add a session to my multisession DVD

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Flash
Official Dog Handler

TkDVD won't add a session to my multisession DVD

#1 Post by Flash »

What I'm trying to do is add a session to the DVD, that is not generated by Puppy's "Save" script, so it shows up in the disk's TOC with the title I want. TkDVD offers a checkbox in the Advanced Options page: "Add session to disk," but when I try to use it to add a session to my multisession DVD it says the disk is read only. I'm pretty sure this worked before, when I tried it in an earlier version of Puppy. Can anyone tell my what I need to do to add a large file as a session, to a multisession DVD?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

Code: Select all

growisofs -M /dev/dvd -R -D /mnt/somedirectory/thelargefile 
will put it on root of DVD

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

That works, Ted, but I should have said "folder" or "directory" instead of "file." :oops: I tried saving a folder containing several hundred mp3 files. The files were saved, but not the folder they had been in. Now I have several hundred mp3 files in the / directory of the DVD, named 01-01, 01-02, ...., instead of a folder named with the title of the book, and containing those mp3 files. :lol:

Do you know why TkDVD won't do what I want? If it's a bug I'll send the developer a bug report.

How is UDF coming along? Wouldn't UDF support make it easy to do what I want?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I tried it again, with a different folder containing 244 mp3 files and adding the -J option to growisofs. The same thing happened. Now it's a big mess with the mp3 files from 2 books mixed up. :lol: How does multisession Puppy save a session so it shows up as a folder when you mount the disk?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Ted Dog

-J = junk my DVD unexpectively

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

I hope that is a TEST DVD! You turned on MS mode naming methods with the -J option, It can self distruct any multisession in the future... AHHHHH!!!!
No really, this option caused us problems in the past.

growisofs -M /dev/dvd -D -R -new-dir-mode 0755 -graft-points NameOfDirectoryOnDVD=/mnt/PathToSourceDirectory

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

It's my test DVD, Ted. :D Thanks for the code. I'll try it today.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Your recipe worked perfectly, Ted. Using -J in the previous try didn't ruin my test DVD so I copied all 244 of the mp3 files from the DVD to /tmp, then used /tmp as the source directory in your recipe so I had to change /mnt in your recipe to /tmp. Also, either the name of the directory-to-be-created on DVD has to be exactly the same as the name of the source directory, or you can't use spaces in the name of the directory on the DVD.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

I found that I had to add -l (lower-case L) before it would work with long directory names:

growisofs -M /dev/dvd -D -R -l -new-dir-mode 0755 -graft-points Name_Of_Directory(OnDVD)=/(PathTo)/Source_Directory
Alas, no spaces or commas allowed in either the source or destination directory name. :(