Using Puppy Lenux Alongside Windows XP

Booting, installing, newbie
N38549

Using Puppy Lenux Alongside Windows XP

#1 Post by N38549 »

I have three old computers that cannot run Windows 8 or 8.1. I read about Puppy Lenux on a blog. If I load Puppy Lenux on my machines alongside Windows XP and only use Puppy Lenux to access the internet, will my computer be secure? I would like to avoid removing Internet Explore 8 from the machine because I would first have to uninstall Service Pack 3 for Windows XP. It would be a lot easier just to remove the Internet Explorer shortcut and forget Internet Explorer is there. Disk space is not a problem.

Thanks

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Yes dual boot or just running from cd would be a good idea.

Not using IE 8 would increase your security on XP dramatically too.

Cross contamination from puppy to windows has not been heard of here too.

Any help needed just ask.

mike

dancytron

#3 Post by dancytron »

You don't have to remove Internet explorer. Just disable the internet connection so that it doesn't try to communicate with the internet on its own. It's under the Control Panel - Network Connections. The right click and choose disable.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

This info may help you:
Various ways to install puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Dewbie

#5 Post by Dewbie »

dancytron wrote:
You don't have to remove Internet explorer. Just disable the internet connection so that it doesn't try to communicate with the internet on its own. It's under the Control Panel - Network Connections. The right click and choose disable.
With XP, Internet Explorer can also be disabled in Control Panel using Set Program Access and Defaults.

dancytron

#6 Post by dancytron »

Dewbie wrote:dancytron wrote:
With XP, Internet Explorer can also be disabled in Control Panel using Set Program Access and Defaults.
But then you'd still have the possibility of other applications getting on the internet, which I think kind of defeats the original poster's purpose. And you'd have to install something else to read local html files.

Dewbie

#7 Post by Dewbie »

dancytron wrote:
But then you'd still have the possibility of other applications getting on the internet
MSN Messenger, Outlook Express, etc. can also be disabled the same way.
which I think kind of defeats the original poster's purpose
How so? Read on...
N38549 wrote:
I would like to avoid removing Internet Explore 8 from the machine because I would first have to uninstall Service Pack 3 for Windows XP
Disabling IE8 doesn't require any of that.
And you'd have to install something else to read local html files.
Most of which would be safer than IE...:)

Fossil

#8 Post by Fossil »

N38549 Welcome to the forum.
Just to clarify any misunderstandings. When Puppy is run from a Windows pre-installed machine, Puppy Linux does NOT intrude upon the Windows install at all. Puppy is completely independent and separate to your Windows operating system. If run completely from a CD in the RAM mode, it doesn't even have to require a save-file. Or, Puppy Linux may be frugally, or fully installed alongside your existing operating system. The choice is entirely yours!
I would suggest you read though the first entries in "Beginners Help ( Start Here)" to further clarify just what is required.

dancytron

#9 Post by dancytron »

Well, I assume he is worried about security after Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Just disabling IE and Outlook Express and a few other programs won't make it secure (assuming you believe there is a problem). His system will still be open to attack from the internet in all kinds of different ways.

Disabling the network connections will make it secure.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

His system will still be open to attack from the internet in all kinds of different ways.
could you be more specific.

Ok I went the extra mile and removed the files and reg entries of the aforementioned programs so they were effectively uninstalled and never had a problem since. By doing this it also mean such as active desktop and windows explorer no longer have that net connection but on the other hand I don''t recall getting anything through that route...using the dirty dozen was the key.... I was simply making sure the bad bunnies were thoroughly gone for my own peace of mind.

Only other gateways were such as rpc and netbios but a router effectively protects those. (and any other open ports the system wants to flaunt on the net.)

Windows is used daily on the net this way and has been for 10 years without any further nasties.

mike

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

Windows xp is as safe as houses when you don't use IE. I don't even have anti-virus or malware removers on my computer. BTW, have found a renewed love for windows XP after using puppy for a few weeks. It really is the rolls royce of operating systems for me. So rounded and slick...but puppy is good too.
Last edited by nic007 on Sun 30 Mar 2014, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.

rufwoof

#12 Post by rufwoof »

Fossil wrote:N38549 If run completely from a CD in the RAM mode, it doesn't even have to require a save-file.
I just assume any PC that's ever had access to the internet is at risk of at some time having been breached. Perhaps a browser not updated in a timely manner, or ... whatever. Assuming all PC's to have been breached and as such should be treated as being 'public' is the safer mind-set IMO.

For online banking I resort to a fresh kernel, GUI and browser each time I want to do online banking.

For my setup I always boot using CD/DVD, but for online banking choose the puppy pfix=ram choice which loads the operating system and GUI from the CD/DVD into memory (that's previously been cleared out by a hard power down/restart). I then download the latest Firefox directly and only connect to the banks web site (nowhere else before or after and no use of a search engine to get to the banks website). Afterwards don't visit any other web sites just power down and don't save to savefile).

For all other general stuff I just boot the DVD and let it load my savefile.

Currently I'm using a revised version of Slacko5.3.3t for that purpose (see this message and the message 6 posts earlier in that thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 820#767820)

That has a wget firefox script in the home directory for the purpose of getting the latest version of firefox and loading it into memory when in online banking mode.

In practice all just takes a few minutes. The comfort of knowing I'm using a clean kernel, desktop and browser that's all loaded into and running from memory is worth that time cost IMO.

Any PC that openly publishes the operating system, version, browser version and the users IP address to each and every web site they've ever visited is at risk of having had a exploit installed. Browser developers openly publish weaknesses in their versions which assist hackers to devise such exploits. Virus scanners only detect those that they know of. For instance have a look at what you're currently showing to each web site by visiting this link http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

Using a boot DVD, not using /root for docs/files but only as a configuration area, keeping docs/music/files separately (outside of savefile space) is the best choice of all IMO. No GRUB to worry about, just set the BIOS to check DVD first before HD in the boot sequence.

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

Browser developers openly publish weaknesses in their versions which assist hackers to devise such exploits.
erm...to show hackers that such an exploit is already known about so don't waste yer time.
Since its soooo easy to exploit IE/outlook why bother developing an esoteric method for security hole thats already been taken care of?

I am surprised at the amount of tin foil in use on this forum...if life is that insecure why not stick to windows and its updates?

mike

Ol'Duffer

Internet security when Microsoft drops XP update support

#14 Post by Ol'Duffer »

Anything that has been connected to the internet puts everything else it might be connected to at risk. That's life. Even with Linux.

That said, few internet security software vendors will drop XP support when Microsoft does.
And even Microsoft will keep updating their Security Essentials with malware patterns - and intimidating ads, of course.
If it's installed before April 7, of course.

There are many simple ways to reduce risk.
The many security holes (or "windows") in Internet Explorer can be avoided by using other browsers.
Security holes (or "windows") in Windows Update can be avoided by training XP not to automatically ask for it all the time.
Hiding behind a "NAT" firewall in a router helps too.
Booting a diskless computer from plastic disc or USB flash drive is another approach.
XP can be trained, and good backup-copy discipline can reduce agony to endurance; with a legit XP setup ISO, nLite and Xable can become your good friends.
Last edited by Ol'Duffer on Sun 30 Mar 2014, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Holes (or "windows") in Windows Update can be avoided by training XP not to automatically ask for it all the time.
thanks for reminding me... yes I have this disabled from install. I find their 'updates' irrelevant since the 'holy' software is the main target...also the update mechanism itself is another active x security nightmare.. After all who wants security measures from the company that made it insecure in the first place?

Yes there's always risk but such measures improve the odds dramatically and bring it into the domain of gross user stupidity like linux is. Bricking up the back door that's hanging off the hinges does tend to reduce break ins :D

mike