Problem booting from USB drive

Booting, installing, newbie
Norbert Dentressangle

Problem booting from USB drive

#1 Post by Norbert Dentressangle »

I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Please can you help?

I have downloaded the .ISO - Precise Puppy and used the UUI installer to make my USB drive. It was empty and formatted already, to FAT32.

When using UUI, I was careful to select the correct name for the version of Puppy I intend to use: Precise Puppy. It copied a bunch of files and folders onto my USB stick.

Drive E: is 1.94GB Capacity; FAT.

I'm using my Toshiba Satellite Pentium 4, 2.90GHz, 448MB RAM laptop computer, normally running under Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3.

When the machine posts, I hit F12 key and ensure my boot menu is set to "Removable Device"... The machine boots into Windows XP. WTF?!

So what happens now? How do I get my machine to boot into Linux Puppy? I don't understand why it doesn't work and need help. Please can you advise?

I never expected it to work anyway (Linux never does, does it?) but thought it worth a try because I hate Windows so much.

Thank you.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

That's a pretty good report. :)
I don't know why Puppy won't boot from USB for you. Are you sure your computer can boot from USB? Is there any chance you could burn a live CD or DVD and try to boot from that? (A rewritable CD or DVD works fine if you have one.)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Are you sure Puppy is installed properly to the USB drive?
What kind of USB drive?
Hard drive, flash drive. etc...?
What is UUI installer?

Usually the boot option has to specifically state USB to boot from USB.
I hit F12 key and ensure my boot menu is set to "Removable Device"...
Usually it also will give choice of what kind of removable device.
Maybe something here applies to your computer.
http://support.toshiba.com/support/view ... oid=403623
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

After you hit the F12 key on your laptop, click on hard drive if it has a Plus beside it.
You may then see your USB drive shown there.
If so, click on it and away you go.
I have a Toshiba laptop with windows 7 64bit on it and I can boot Puppy from USB on it.
Also, if that does not work, Press the key to get to BIOS setup (seen when first booting the laptop) and find Boot Order there.
If the USB drive is listed there, move it to the top of the list, save and reboot.
I also read a post about a utility called Plop that allows one to boot from a USB drive. You would have to do a forum search and make sure POST is checked in the options.

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

" When the machine posts, I hit F12 key and ensure my boot menu is set to "Removable Device"...

The machine boots into Windows XP. WTF?! "

"""""""""""""

You need to look at the hard drives boot order first.

Move the hard drive down....and the USB to the top.

Then save the settings....usually >> F10

Try different usb ports as well.

""""""""

" Yeah mate I've done just that with my Toshiba Satellite A70.

A good old bomb.

Running Linux Mint 14 sweet - off USB bootable!

Use UNetbootin to burn your ISO file on the USB,
then plug in your USB and hit F2 for BIOS settings on reboot.

Go to Boot tab and press Enter to expand the Hard Drives list,

where you'll find your USB stick.

Use F6 to shift it to the top of the list and CRANK IT UP! Cheers! "

http://www.linlap.com/toshiba_satellite_a70

"""""""

And little known but....

Sometimes when even that won't work...all the above.....

Boot Windows... pop in the usb....restart the machine...

Go to the bios setup...

Check the drives...and finally your usb shows up.

Love dem' computers don't you.

::::::

Always handy to try another PC with your usb to see
if it boots there.

"""""""""

Youtube How to.

Toshiba How-To: Setting The System Boot Priority in Bios

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh-Dx5lPh4E
Chris.

Norbert Dentressangle

#6 Post by Norbert Dentressangle »

Ive got a new kind of problem now. I can't get into the setup because it's asking for a password.

What now...?

Shit - can you not just, like... BUY a Linux computer? I just want to USE it, not have to FUCK with it. :(

Never mind. Ignore my angst.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

When the machine posts, I hit F12 key and ensure my boot menu is set to "Removable Device".
See if you can get a choice of what kind of "Removable Device".
Also, if there are other USB ports, try a different port.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Norbert Dentressangle wrote:Ive got a new kind of problem now. I can't get into the setup because it's asking for a password.
I think Norbert means the BIOS is password-protected and he doesn't know the password. If that's the case, he might be able to reset it by briefly jumpering some pins on his motherboard. I've never done this, so he'll have to research his motherboard.

Norbert Dentressangle

#9 Post by Norbert Dentressangle »

bigpup wrote:
When the machine posts, I hit F12 key and ensure my boot menu is set to "Removable Device".
See if you can get a choice of what kind of "Removable Device".
Also, if there are other USB ports, try a different port.
If I hit F2 I get a list but where it says 'removable device' I can't find any way to choose anything other than 'removable device'. Then it just boots...

Norbert Dentressangle

#10 Post by Norbert Dentressangle »

Flash wrote:
Norbert Dentressangle wrote:Ive got a new kind of problem now. I can't get into the setup because it's asking for a password.
I think Norbert means the BIOS is password-protected and he doesn't know the password. If that's the case, he might be able to reset it by briefly jumpering some pins on his motherboard. I've never done this, so he'll have to research his motherboard.
Oh God...

The plot thickens.

Whatever next?

Here we go then... countdown to a wrecked computer. I don't know what I'm doing. But I can try...

Norbert Dentressangle

#11 Post by Norbert Dentressangle »

No. I have decided, this is the road to madness and broken shit. Tomorrow, I'm going to take it somewhere and pay someone to do this for me. I don't have the required skill.

cthisbear

#12 Post by cthisbear »

Youtube How to.

Did you actually look at it?

Chris.

Norbert Dentressangle

#13 Post by Norbert Dentressangle »

cthisbear wrote:Youtube How to.

Did you actually look at it?

Chris.
I can't get into the BIOS because it is password protected and neither myself, nor the person who sold me the machine, has any clue as to the password. So that link is pretty useless to me at the moment.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

Have you tried booting from a live CD?

Norbert Dentressangle

#15 Post by Norbert Dentressangle »

Did I try booting from live CD?

I did (with Ubuntu last week) but it was so slow that I gave up out of sheer boredom. It was as much as I could do to stay awake. I could probably just burn a CD ROM and install it to hard disk but for the fact I want the alternate boot so I can retain Windows for a while, during the transition to Linux. I probably wouldn't survive on Linux alone until I've shaken my dependency on Windows. (God, that sounds serious, doesn't it! :roll: )

Anyway, back to the BIOS. The jumper, I have discovered, is at J7. I'm to remove the CMOS battery (allow to dissipate). Then remove all power supplies (inc. main battery) and replace the CMOS battery while jumpering the J7. I've looked inside the machine and can't find J7. So it looks like I'll have to take it in for some further assistance.

Norbert Dentressangle

#16 Post by Norbert Dentressangle »

That said, I suppose I could do the obvious (which I kind of forgot) which is to create a partition and run both Windows and Linux, alternately from the same disk. Problem with that is, it's not an awfully up to date machine and I seem to be only JUST within the requirements for running XP as it. Maybe Pup won't take up too much space? You'd probably be the best person to advise on that. What would you say? I have a few other reservations, though.

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

:D Hey Chris, this has "GOT-TO-BE" the shortest reply I've ever seen you post. Short on breath tonight, are we?

Moat

#18 Post by Moat »

Norbert Dentressangle wrote:Did I try booting from live CD?

I did (with Ubuntu last week) but it was so slow that I gave up out of sheer boredom.
I'm guessing Flash meant to ask if you tried booting Puppy from a live CD. Puppy is not like Ubuntu, when running from a CD. Unlike Ubuntu (or the vast majority of other Linux distros), Puppy is specifically designed to run from CD/USB, by loading itself entirely into RAM, and is therefore blisteringly fast - whether running from CD or USB flash stick. Booting from a CD, you can create a (Pup)save file onto the computer's hard drive, in order to save changes/app additions/personal settings etc... i.e. - persistence.

Running from CD with a savefile on HD is actually a very good method - and you can just remove the CD if/when you want to boot to Windows instead.

I'd recommend you burn a Puppy .iso (or five - they're addicting! :) ) to CD and give it a spin that way. Who knows... you may not even like it enough to bother trying to get the BIOS/USB boot issue sorted out. Worth a shot!

Bob

Ol'Duffer

Boot Puppy ISO(s) on Toshiba Satellite, maybe from USB

#19 Post by Ol'Duffer »

If you find J7, you can own the computer you paid for.
Documentation with a motherboard diagram, perhaps from Toshiba Support or their forums, might help. ............. Barring that, save time and hire help.

Some BIOS quirks include "recognizing" a USB flash drive as USB-HDD or USB-ZIP or USB-FDD or ... depending on how it's formatted - or partitioned, formatted, and flagged. Depending on quality and design, some sticks take a while to be detected. Have you ever been able to boot this computer from USB? The technique may require details about your particular model's specs. There's a lot of info at RMprepUSB.

You can test many ISOs "live" with just one USB flash stick; there are several tools available for this. Some provide for multiboot, avoiding destruction of an existing filesystem; others simplify life for developers by destroying the existing partition table. Either approach avoids "burning" plastic discs.

Whether you want to dual-boot may depend on how much hard drive space is available; selection will depend on what fits in available RAM.
For XP, there's a tool called grub2win that may be useful, since it avoids upsetting Windows, but it takes a little hacking.

Meanwhile, XP can be trained, and good backup-copy discipline can reduce agony to endurance; with a legit XP setup ISO, nLite and Xable can become your good friends.
Last edited by Ol'Duffer on Sun 30 Mar 2014, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#20 Post by cthisbear »

Semme:

Got me mate.

Of course I was thinking of Professor BC....ahem!....

when i posted.

SometimesSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS it's just so hard for some.

Cheers...Chris.