Paint.net + Puppy? Also Q re: Beginners Guide Stickie

Booting, installing, newbie
Minni

Paint.net + Puppy? Also Q re: Beginners Guide Stickie

#1 Post by Minni »

Hi, can Paint.Net be used with Puppy? And also with other software such as Irfanview, Audacity, VLC Media? If not, what's the solution?

Also:
I started browsing the Installation Instructions Stickie (beginner guide).
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29356

Referring to:
Tools like the Parted Magic Live CD can reliably repartition your hard drive. Or you can use the Gparted program on the Puppy Live CD. But there are risks, especially if your Windows installation has some underlying corruption.
Does the latter mean there are risks with Gparted only?
...or: that there's risks also with PartedMagic?

Also:
There are some reports that if Puppy crashes, it can also damage Windows. But many users are running Puppy this way without incident. So you need to choose between two small risks - corrupting Windows during a drive repartition or corrupting it as a side effect of Puppy failing.
The latter scares me. It seems to imply that there's risk with either choice?? (I.E. no matter if you choose to repartition, or co-exist with WinXP)

ardvark

Re: Paint.net + Puppy? Also Q re: Beginners Guide Stickie

#2 Post by ardvark »

Minni wrote:Hi, can Paint.Net be used with Puppy? And also with other software such as Irfanview, Audacity, VLC Media? If not, what's the solution?
Hi...

I know VLC and Audacity does. From what I'm reading, Irfanview does, but it requires Wine. Please see here. XnView might be an alternative worth trying. :)

It might be possible to use Paint.net with Wine but it probably would be very difficult to install and get working, even if Microsoft did give you permission to do this. You could see if Pinta, which is a clone of Paint.net, would work. More information here. It might be easier just to install and use Gimp. :wink:

Regards...

Minni

#3 Post by Minni »

Thanks for the info!
What's more popular with Linux users - Irfanview+wine? or XnView?

& what's the solution re: Paint.net?
I'm in process of learning Paint.Net (wanting to use it for some demo's I'm trying to accomplish) - and don't want to let go cold turkey just because XP decided to stop supporting MSE.

Is Paint.Net by any chance usable in Linux-Mint?
Or none of the Linuxes?

So at this point, I don't even know which Linux to burn to CD to try out.
Slacko? Other puppy version? Mint?
I've one thinkpad-R52 with 1gb RAM, and another R52 with 2gb RAM.

P.S. I'm off Gimp for good (been down that nightmarish road for a month, going in circles). Then I read someone's tip re: Pixlr, thus finally getting to see the difference between night vs. day. Then I found out that Paint.net is better yet cuz it's downloadable thus more private.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Minni wrote: Referring to:
Tools like the Parted Magic Live CD can reliably repartition your hard drive. Or you can use the Gparted program on the Puppy Live CD. But there are risks, especially if your Windows installation has some underlying corruption.
Does the latter mean there are risks with Gparted only?
...or: that there's risks also with PartedMagic?

Also:
There are some reports that if Puppy crashes, it can also damage Windows. But many users are running Puppy this way without incident. So you need to choose between two small risks - corrupting Windows during a drive repartition or corrupting it as a side effect of Puppy failing.
The latter scares me. It seems to imply that there's risk with either choice?? (I.E. no matter if you choose to repartition, or co-exist with WinXP)
Statements like this are just a way of saying nothing is 100% perfect all the time. Stuff happens.

Repartitioning always has a risk. If you know what you are doing and are careful, it usually works with no problems.
If you do not have a good understanding of partitioning and formatting get some knowledge before trying to do it.

If you install Puppy as a frugal install, to a partition containing Windows, it is just some files on the partition. All you could do is mess up those Puppy files.
They have no interaction with Windows.

One thing is make sure the Windows partition has been defraged before doing the Puppy frugal install. This keeps the Puppy files from starting out fragmented.

Can Puppy do something to Windows.
Yes
Puppy will have the ability to move, delete, change windows files.
However, you have to choose to do these things with Puppy file manager.
So, if you do anything in the Puppy file manager with Windows files be careful and sure of what you are doing.
Some of the programs in Puppy can access and use files that may be in your Windows partition, but again you have to choose to do it.
Example:
Image, video, audio, etc.. files can be manipulated and changed by Puppy programs designed for the purpose.

With any computer operation, understand what it does before you do it.

There will be some learning to do, on how Puppy works and Linux in general.
Not hard to learn, just different from Windows.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rufwoof

#5 Post by rufwoof »

Minni wrote:Hi, can Paint.Net be used with Puppy? And also with other software such as Irfanview, Audacity, VLC Media? If not, what's the solution?
Personally I found xpaint to be relatively similar to ms paint. I installed xpaint using Puppy Package Manager, but it doesn't have a menu entry - I have to launch it from the command line (from within a terminal window). Or by using ROX to drag it to the desktop so that there's a clickable desktop icon to launch it.

Rather than install Puppy, I initially started off by changing the PC BIOS so that it checked for booting from CD before HD and I downloaded and burnt a Puppy LiveCD. That way there was no need to install anything on the HD - but I did use it for a savefile.

Subsequently I used something like Partition Magic to release some of the Windows disk space and created a dedicated Linux partition for the savefile. Later still I installed Puppy to that partition and installed GRUB - which did create a problem for Windows - primarily due to me being silly with partitioning and moving things around. I'd suggest sticking with the boot CD/DVD approach and saving changes (and data/music) etc on the HD.

For Notepad - use LeafPad
For Double Clicks open ROX-Filer and right click on a blank area and choose Options, then under both the Filer Windows and Pinboard (i.e. 2 places) there is the option to uncheck 'Use Single Click' i.e. sets Puppy to use double-click to open type interaction.

Initially I did install Thunar for file management, but have come to like ROX (primarily a drag and drop type manager/approach - but with loads of other useful functionality) and now have removed Thunar.

I think the trick with Puppy is to keep data (pictures, music, documents etc) outside of your HOME (/root) directory i.e. not really use that area/directory-free, and instead put/keep all of that sort of data/files on the hard disk. That keeps the savefile relatively small - in effect just being used for configuration, GUI and operating system changes. I've intermixed that data with my Windows based pictures, music, data files.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-03-26_082307.jpg
(68.36 KiB) Downloaded 251 times

Minni

responding to the last 2 above posts

#6 Post by Minni »

Responding to the last 2 posters,

Firstly, BigPup, thanks! The part about the defrag. was interesting, though after reading more, I got to thinking that if I decide to try Puppy or any Linux distribution (which I'm now reconsidering after learning that Paint.Net & other programs may not be compatible...

...anyway, if i decide to try it, it would be scary to place it on the same HDD as Windows.
After all, if malware starts up with Windows, and Linux resides in the same partition, that malware might be smart enough to start up with Linux too, since its accessible in the same partition.

...so - perhaps its best to first try it out via CD.

then, if I find it usable on CD, then perhaps place it on a Gorilla flash drive?

(I just saw the Gorilla stick at Walmart and it "purports" to be Ruggedized - so might it actually last long-term?
Anyone know?

As to the last post, there's no way I want something similar to MS-Paint. (too limited)
Rather, I'd want something similar to Paint.Net or Pixlr.
I believe I read good stuff about MyPaint too, but never tried it.

Above all:
(1) I still don't even know which link is safe to download Puppy from.
(2) I still don't know which of 3 versions of Puppy to download.

It may seem like no sweat when you read peoples' recommendations to Puppy (where they say that it's non-intrusive on old systems, and you can use it without fear of malware, and via whichever medium such as CD or USB you choose.
...But the very fact that there's so many choices, IS sweat for newbs.
It's sweat to not know which version to download.
It's sweat to not know which is a safe link for downloading.
(and to have gone thru what I did with IMGburn crapware)

So yes, I've had alot of sweat so far (except if you wanna be literal, i'm too ill with electrosensitivity to sweat, so i'm at an even further disadvantage, which nobody can relate to, but even worse - there's those villains who express skepticism of it :roll: .

Fossil

#7 Post by Fossil »

I have used earlier versions of Irfanview using Wine with Puppy - and they do work. Irfanview is 'portable', in that once installed to a MS system - such as, XP - it isn't dependent upon other parts of that system's inbuilt features - Irfanview can be moved in it's entirety and used from another XP installed hard drive. I've never used the Paint.net program. Why? Because I resent having to download a massive amount of data (the .NET program) to install, load and run a relatively small program: a ridiculous idea created from an over-constipated system. This is why, I'd guess the Paint.net program would not run under Wine - it's far too dependent upon a lumbering mass of ancillary .dll's and other side issues embedded within the Window's system folders. Analogy - a cyclist attempting to tow a juggernaut.
However, a quick search under the terms, paint.net, linux, wine, came up with this. It might be worth investigating.
http://www.webupd8.org/2009/09/paintnet ... tmono.html

ardvark

Re: responding to the last 2 above posts

#8 Post by ardvark »

Minni wrote: As to the last post, there's no way I want something similar to MS-Paint. (too limited)
Rather, I'd want something similar to Paint.Net or Pixlr.
I believe I read good stuff about MyPaint too, but never tried it.

Above all:
(1) I still don't even know which link is safe to download Puppy from.
(2) I still don't know which of 3 versions of Puppy to download.

It may seem like no sweat when you read peoples' recommendations to Puppy (where they say that it's non-intrusive on old systems, and you can use it without fear of malware, and via whichever medium such as CD or USB you choose.
...But the very fact that there's so many choices, IS sweat for newbs.
It's sweat to not know which version to download.
It's sweat to not know which is a safe link for downloading.
(and to have gone thru what I did with IMGburn crapware)
Hi...

In all honesty, if you're really wanting to use Paint.net, then it might be best to stay with Windows because there is nothing identical to the program in Linux. As I mentioned above and from what I understand, Pinta comes close but there is going to be some work involved installing it and getting it to work properly (and resolving possible dependency issues,) although, according to this thread, it is possible.

If you want to try using Pinta, I would recommend either Lucid 5.2.8 or Precise 5.6.1 or 5.7.1. If you would supply your system specs, we would be better able guide you as to which version might be best. I'm guessing a "safe" link to download 5.7.1 would be here.

As far as burning software, I've never had a problem with Ashampoo Burning Studio FREE when I used Windows. :wink:

Again, please keep in mind that Linux is not like Windows. On the surface, it handles and operates like Windows, like how you access and bring up programs, but the "nuts and bolts" of the operating system are very different. Some things are more difficult to do in Linux and this often includes installing drivers and software. There will be a learning curve involved here, just so that you are aware. On the whole, there are strengths and weaknesses to both Linux and Windows but it really comes down to what your needs are and what suits you as to which one you pick. :wink:

Regards...

Fossil

#9 Post by Fossil »

I don't wish to appear harsh but..., the facts are..., Puppy isn't Windows. Adapt and change; accept the things you can't use. If you can't accept this, don't bother to argue the toss - you will loose. No, Puppy will not contract anything, malware included, from Windows. I've used a Puppy install every day for eight + years - and no problems at all. That said. Just try Puppy as a frugal install. If you don't like it, there's no loss; just delete and forget!

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

.net was originally intended as a replacement for Java after their legal battle over the software. Its been developed into a virtual windows and with it seems to have the sole intention of making software that was strictly windows only and partitally suceeds as such due to the jumping through hoops to get such things working of at all.
It was getting too easy to write programs that could port easily to linux and mac so something had to be done about that.

In short..if you want to use linux forget about anything with .net (that includes silverlight though there are moves to deal with that also)

Fortunately there are usually decent alternatives you CAN use and thats the approach which is needed... work within what IS possible.

mike

Minni

#11 Post by Minni »

ardvark wrote:Again, please keep in mind that Linux is not like Windows. .....

........Some things are more difficult to do in Linux and this often includes installing drivers and software. There will be a learning curve involved here, just so that you are aware. ...
hmmm...shivering in my boots :? 8)

So I gather you can download .NET-compatible software via Puppy - to transfer to WindowsXXX to use offline - huh?

So lets say I transfer my personal/precious files from my 4gb Cruzer Stick, to the Gorilla Flash Drive from Walmart
....(not bought yet - should I buy the gorilla stick??

Then (assume I'd gotten thru the learning curves of the Puppy CD intact)
....I can then transfer Puppy to the 4gb Cruzer
.......and then download .NET & Windows programs direct to Cruzer
.............for offline transfer to WindowsXXX to use offline?

ardvark

#12 Post by ardvark »

Minni wrote:
ardvark wrote:Again, please keep in mind that Linux is not like Windows. .....

........Some things are more difficult to do in Linux and this often includes installing drivers and software. There will be a learning curve involved here, just so that you are aware. ...
hmmm...shivering in my boots :? 8)

So I gather you can download .NET-compatible software via Puppy - to transfer to WindowsXXX to use offline - huh?

So lets say I transfer my personal/precious files from my 4gb Cruzer Stick, to the Gorilla Flash Drive from Walmart
....(not bought yet - should I buy the gorilla stick??

Then (assume I'd gotten thru the learning curves of the Puppy CD intact)
....I can then transfer Puppy to the 4gb Cruzer
.......and then download .NET & Windows programs direct to Cruzer
.............for offline transfer to WindowsXXX to use offline?
Hi...

I apologize if I sounded rude, that wasn't my intention. Yes, you can do as you've described, although I wouldn't purchase the gorilla drive. According to Walmart's site, there have been issues with this drive using Linux, at least with the 16GB model.

Regards...