FluxPup-1.6.0 Beta PAE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
slavvo67

#41 Post by slavvo67 »

Yeller:

Not sure but you want to set a default PDF Viewer. It might be a good idea, though most can set their own.

Again, nice work. I'm surprised you don't have more views.

Best,

Slavvo67

oldyeller

#42 Post by oldyeller »

Hello Everyone,

I have just upoaded FluxPup 1.5 Beta at 150mb.

Enjoy testing

Cheers

Billtoo

FluxPup-1.5 Beta

#43 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to the hard drive.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 27 Mar 2014 on FluxPup 1.5 Linux 3.9.11 i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
oem: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0
X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 8.0.4
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Core 0: @1600 1: @1600 2: @1600 3: @1600 MHz
Network controller: Ralink corp. RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe

After updating PPM I added my favourite applications.
Resize savefile now works.
No problems at all so far, I think FluxPup will be my daily driver :)
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(38.09 KiB) Downloaded 618 times

Billtoo

#44 Post by Billtoo »

slavvo67 wrote:Billtoo:
Your save to CD worked and I now have the Google i-start default. Strangely, when I used the utility to create a bootable USB, it defaulted back to regular Google splash pages even using though I used the new iso. Not the end of the world but I was wondering if you had seen this before and if maybe there's a workaround.
Best,
Slavvo67
[/url]
I never did an install to a flashdrive with FluxPup alpha so didn't see that problem but I just did an install of 1.5 to flashdrive and I do have the problem now, changes aren't saved after a reboot.
I installed some applications and after rebooting they weren't there.

Manual frugal to hard drive works fine but not to flashdrive.

oldyeller

#45 Post by oldyeller »

Billtoo wrote:
slavvo67 wrote:Billtoo:
Your save to CD worked and I now have the Google i-start default. Strangely, when I used the utility to create a bootable USB, it defaulted back to regular Google splash pages even using though I used the new iso. Not the end of the world but I was wondering if you had seen this before and if maybe there's a workaround.
Best,
Slavvo67
[/url]
I never did an install to a flashdrive with FluxPup alpha so didn't see that problem but I just did an install of 1.5 to flashdrive and I do have the problem now, changes aren't saved after a reboot.
I installed some applications and after rebooting they weren't there.

Manual frugal to hard drive works fine but not to flashdrive.
This problem with Google i-start or with FluxPup ? I have it on a flashdrive and am able keep changes done to it. So it must Google i-start I hope.

Terry H

#46 Post by Terry H »

So far, so good...

Manual frugal install to HDD on Dell D620 Core Duo Laptop (2.16 GHz, 2.5 GB RAM). All is working well. Several reboots, shutdowns and suspends, when restarted no issues.

Only a couple of aesthetic issues. Installing GIMP 2.8.2 sfs, generates 2 Graphics menu entries. I don't know if this is a known error, so am reporting it. The sfs was an existing sfs I had previously downloaded.

The second is fairly nit-picky. The clock hands are a few pixels below the centre point of the clock. I've been looking at pwidgets/conky to attempt to rectify it on my laptop, but haven't used pwidgets before, so haven't worked it out yet.

I will be running the sfs builder over the next couple of days so will report on that later.

Well done, really nice job on creating this puppy.

Billtoo

FluxPup-1.5 Beta

#47 Post by Billtoo »

I remastered FluxPup 1.5 and burned the new iso to a DVD+RW
Running on a Gateway desktop pc.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 27 Mar 2014 on FluxPup 1.5 Linux 3.9.11 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti OEM] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev
X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (513x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.121
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Core 0: @1600 1: @1600 2: @1600 3: @1600 4: @1600 5: @1600 6: @1600 7: @1600 MHz
Network controller: Ralink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe

It's working well.
Attachments
image1.jpg
(17.96 KiB) Downloaded 1030 times

Billtoo

#48 Post by Billtoo »

oldyeller wrote: This problem with Google i-start or with FluxPup ? I have it on a flashdrive and am able keep changes done to it. So it must Google i-start I hope.
I did another install to a flashdrive and it worked fine, I have no idea what went wrong with the first one.

slavvo67

#49 Post by slavvo67 »

I'm still trying to get the i-start (save) working on the USB. At this point, it's probably a user issue (i.e. "me").

I recently found an issue with 1.0 when shutting down a live cd. When I walk away without choosing the shutdown options, my screen is off but the computer continues to run. Hitting enter gets rid of the black screen but the computer was hanging at shutdown.

I'm not sure about 1.5, yet. I notice the toolbar is fixed and also a default PDF viewer. Thanks! Though it's a matter of choice, you might want to consider turning off the auto-save option. It's nice you have a GUI to take care of that.

Lastly, I note that when installing Chromium, you can set the default toolbar link to "incognito mode" using the GUI tool. Not sure if that was your doing or the person that put together the Chromium 33.0.1750.152 but either way, nice touch!

ADDED 10:31 EST 3/28/14

Though the ISO did not save the i-start when creating a USB, once the USB was setup and the i-start was added, it continued to save and load properly on USB.

Fluxbox problem with the USB when switching computers from a new Dell to an older one. The menu was completely unreadable. Luckily, I found the Fluxbox menu and with some memory and luck I was able to find the "Refresh Menus". Now, it seems fine.

Added Seamonkey 2.19 from the Puppy Package Manager, installed without issue. Not a big fan but wanted their HTML editor.

Thanks for the nice puppy!

Terry H

#50 Post by Terry H »

Terry H wrote:
The second is fairly nit-picky. The clock hands are a few pixels below the centre point of the clock. I've been looking at pwidgets/conky to attempt to rectify it on my laptop, but haven't used pwidgets before, so haven't worked it out yet.

I will be running the sfs builder over the next couple of days so will report on that later.
I have been playing around with fluxpup for a couple of days, downloading programs, deleting and recreating savefiles. I have installed several pets and sfs's using sfs_builder. All but 2 installed and ran successfully. The 2 that didn't run were missing some QT depencies.

The installed programs were:
devx_fluxpup-1.5.sfs
planner-0.14.5-hacked.pet
tor-browser-3.5.2.pet
deadbeef-0.6.1.3-precise.pet
dreamchess-0.2.1-RC1-precise.pet
smtube-1.1-i486.petrowser-3.5.2.pet
- Installed but wouldn't run due to missing dependency libQtXml.so.4
clementine-1.0.1-precise.sfs
- Installed but wouldn't run due to missing dependency libQtCore.so.4

I also successfully installed LibreOffice 4.2.2 using the Get LibreOffice script.

One observation regarding the SFS_Builder, under the 'File Menu' there is a link to the SFS Folder, but no link to the Pets Folder. To access the pets requires navigating from the sfs folder,

I previously commented about the clock hands not being centred correctly. The issue is not with the hands, it's that the 3 & 9 numerals are not positioned correctly in the clock face, they need to be lower.

oldyeller

#51 Post by oldyeller »

smtube-1.1-i486.petrowser-3.5.2.pet
- Installed but wouldn't run due to missing dependency libQtXml.so.4
clementine-1.0.1-precise.sfs
- Installed but wouldn't run due to missing dependency libQtCore.so.4
There is a qt-4.8.2.sfs you will find this in the SFS Downloader I loaded qt and clementine and it runs with no problem. As far as the folder for the pets I didn't put a link in the File menu for it because 1) didn't think about doing that and 2) When building sfs with pets2sfsgui it opens a file select so one can choose what pet to add. I can however add it if it is truly needed.

Cheers

Terry H

#52 Post by Terry H »

oldyeller wrote:
There is a qt-4.8.2.sfs you will find this in the SFS Downloader I loaded qt and clementine and it runs with no problem. As far as the folder for the pets I didn't put a link in the File menu for it because 1) didn't think about doing that and 2) When building sfs with pets2sfsgui it opens a file select so one can choose what pet to add. I can however add it if it is truly needed.

Cheers
I saw that there is a qt sfs, I was just reporting what occurred. As for the Pets folder, it just appeared that it was missing. It is easy enough to navigate to it, from the sfs folder.

Ray MK

#53 Post by Ray MK »

Hi
Running FluxPup-1.5 Beta on the 701SD netbook and all looks good.
Manual frugal install to a mini usb, booting via grub4dos, no swap.

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.9.11 (i686)
Version : #1 SMP Sat Jul 27 19:40:54 GMT-8 2013
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.15 (stable)
Distribution : FluxPup - 1.5
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc9641
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : Unknown (Window Manager: Fluxbox)
-Misc-
Uptime : 1 day 6 hours 28 minutes
Load Average : 0.87, 0.27, 0.22

Using an external lcd monitor at resolution 1440x900 - nice.
Processor - celeron M 900Mhz.

Very pleased with this, running extremely well, many thanks.
Very best regards - Ray.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

slavvo67

#54 Post by slavvo67 »

I'm having issues with the default Gnome Player when trying to play mp4's. It seems to default to audio and when video does come up, it sometimes works and sometimes shows blank screen.

slavvo67

backi

#55 Post by backi »

Hi slavvo67

Maybe try this ....Gnome player > Preferences> "Adjust Output Settings "

Video Output :

... test with -- gl or gl2 or x11 or xv or xvmc or vaapi or vdpau --- i am quite sure one of these works .

Cheers !

RSH

#56 Post by RSH »

test with -- gl or gl2 or x11 or xv or xvmc or vaapi or vdpau --- i am quite sure one of these works
Yes!

x11 !!!
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

oldyeller

#57 Post by oldyeller »

slavvo67 wrote:I'm having issues with the default Gnome Player when trying to play mp4's. It seems to default to audio and when video does come up, it sometimes works and sometimes shows blank screen.

slavvo67
Did you get this resolved? I had the same issue with some of mp4, wav and flv. What I did was added gnome-mplayer to the right click menu. Tested it with about twenty different times with different movies and formats, it worked with no problems.

Cheers

dejan555

#58 Post by dejan555 »

Terry H, you can change the clock image to more suitable one under Desktop -> Pwidgets, then Plugins -> Clock Analog
Also, here's a clock skins pack
clockskins.tar.gz
Extract them to /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets

Code: Select all

wget http://puppy.b0x.me/software/packages/themes/pwidgets/clockskins.tar.gz
tar xf clockskins.tar.gz -C /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/
My compilation of 10 flux styles: 10FluxStyles.pet
You'll find them in menu under Fluxbox Menu -> User styles when installed

Another handy option might be ability to change wallpaper from fluxbox menu, add this to /root/.fluxbox/menu.base then refresh menus (I add it at line 28, just under User styles:

Code: Select all

[submenu] (Fluxbox Wallpapers)
            [wallpapers] (/usr/share/backgrounds) {/usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg}
        [end] 
Option will be under Fluxbox Menu -> Fluxbox Wallpapers ( see screenie )
This approach doesn't refresh pwidgets though, might need some more thinkering.

Also: When starting Nathan wallpaper changer it doesn't start in /usr/share/backgrounds, you need to navigate there.

another hint: Maybe start opera with -mail switch for wbar icon?
It just opens empty tab/window for me because I haven't setup mail account but should open mail if account made
Chat icon still just opens default opera window

Also, is pctorrent needed? Transmission is more user friendly and also included and afaik opera also supports torrents.

I like urxvt setup program, and since urxvt is included maybe set that as default instead plain rxvt?
Even in menu, it's titled urxvt but it opens as rxvt.

mtpaint snapshot could use a better gui, this one's ancient and don't have any options.

Some usefull fluxbox features: double click on titlebar shades window
Fluxbox tabs optiosn lets you group windows together, if you hold ctrl+click on titlebar of window then drag it on titlebar of another window you get those 2 windows as tabs in one titlebar and shows as one window on taskbar (See second screenshot, how urxvt and my-docs dir are grouped together?)
Middle click (clicking mouse wheel) on desktop gives you list of desktops, windows and iconified (minimized) windows
You can define (and view current) keyboard shortcuts in /root/.fluxbox/keys

Click screenies to enlarge:

puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Terry H

#59 Post by Terry H »

@ dejan555 Thanks for posting the clock skins and fluxbox styles packages. Nice to have more variety. Downloading now.

slavvo67

#60 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi Oldyeller:

It's been hit or miss. I haven't figured out why, yet but I've noticed that the vlc player in Tahr isn't doing much better with it. Looks like .mp4 and .wmv are the main issue. I'll continue to play around with this and let you know.

On another note, any chance of changing the way Fluxpup shuts down? I'm not real keen on user interaction after choosing the initial shutdown option and the forced open and closing of my dvd drive is a nice feature but unwanted wear and tear on my drive. I usually just leave the cd in. :lol:

Additional testing note: Roxterm installed from PPM without any issues. Assault Cube from PPM also works well (and highly recommended shooter)

I'm giving Fluxpup a real run for the money. CD in one PC, usb in another.

Best,

Slavvo67