Puppy Arcade 11

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Nordic

#21 Post by Nordic »

I must say that this distribution is absolutely fantastic. Not too long ago I tried out the previous version of Puppy Arcade which was awesome, but it had some rough edges.
Soon as a godsent I noticed Puppy Arcade had out of nowhere received an official update to version 11, which I was eager to download just to notice the download link was yet to work. Fortunately all I needed to do was to give it an hour.

I'm a newbie at Linux in general and it took a while setting it up, but Puppy Arcade 11 (k2.6.25.16) has turned an old IBM Thinkpad T30 that was crumbling under its own weight into a full-fledged oldschool gaming machine (and region-free DVD-player) capable of taking advantage of its S-video output for traditional CRT monitors.
On top of that is the new Rom-Loader looking really great and comes with some very neat features.

Now, the computer isn't actually mine, so I don't have immediate access to it. I am also writing all of this based on what I'm remembering.
Still, aside from the batteries not charging, (I don't know if they simply decided to die the very moment I tried out Linux) there're some optional issues I'd like to express incase there's an answer:
  • Firstly, it's about graphic drivers. The featured version of MESA/Xorg driver (installed through the 'zzx_upgrade_73_to_75_nokms-201101-1'" has unfortunately a color/gamma bug of some sort when running on 16-bit color depth with older ATI graphic chips. I'd describe it as the the screen being a really darkish green color, while the mouse cursor itself is unaffected.
    24-bit color depth works, but it's a bit unfortunate as it's leeching some valuable performance. The computer's graphic chip is a Radeon R100, or specifically, branded as ATI Mobility Radeon 7500.

Also, when running emulators on hardware acceleration through OpenGL, the screen may remain black while the emulation itself continues. It's solved by restarting the emulator, but is there a more direct known way of dealing with this problem?

Secondly, I guess the reason why xboxdrv doesn't come packed with Puppy Arcade is because the very man himself behind it doesn't possess an actual 360 pad? Trying to install it myself has only ended in a failure.
    Eitherway, I think if it came packed with the OS, it could make many people happy since it supports many 3rd party gamepads.
    The default joypad driver, on the other hand, seems unable to properly translate more than 6 axises as representatives, whereas the regular Xbox 360 pad seems to exceed this with 8. Practically this means the analog axises (including the dpad) are bugged. 3rd party variants of the 360 pad like Razer Onza and the PC exclusive Logitech Chillstream won't function at all.
    Although, Thrustmaster Dual Analog 4 worked flawlessly when I tried it on Puppy Arcade 10, so I'm confident it should work just fine on version 11.

Thirdly, even though the Rom-Loader is a light-weight frontend in general, I'm experiencing a temporary freeze lag during rapid Rom browsing in the Rom-browser when holding the arrow key up/down. Is this perhaps just a general issue when having box art download enabled? Like I said, I'm currently unable to test this myself.

Also, is there any ways of hiding specific ROMs in the Rom-browser? MAME games tend to consist of multiple dependencies, which can be annoying as it clutters up the library with unnecessary files.

I'd also like to provide some feedback on the Rom-Loader frontend:
  • For a starter it seems the BIOS downloader has incorrectly routed its download path (except from Amiga), so I had to find the downloaded file and install it manually myself.

Then about the joypad only navigation – is the Rom-Loader supposed to load the romloader.cfg automatically upon a fresh start? I had to enter settings and load it manually for every hard reboot to enable joypad only navigation. For it to function with joypad only navigation at start, I had to create a startup script that loaded Rejoystick at first and then gave a 5 seconds delay before executing the Rom-Loader.

Since the laptop is configured to clone the primary screen to the TV-out, the standard resolution is set to 800x600. Although, the Rom-Loader could use two improvements at a resolution this low:

In Joypad Controls, the Rejoystick keyboard mapper window blocks the view of the profile description. It would be nice if it could appear more to the left. The text in the Rom-browser is also too small for a traditional 21" TV. Perhaps the latter could have a specific setting for this?

And finally for the most important part – I want to thank you for spending time on Puppy Arcade and also for surprising us with a major update with a lot of improvements over the previous versions. Now I'm personally also falling behind with my own work when I was learning Linux for the sake of setting up Puppy Arcade on the ol' stinkpad, but I guess that's just simply the way when one has a passion for other things but the studies.

Cheers.

stevielee

A lot to say about this distro

#22 Post by stevielee »

Hello, Scott....

I resumed my look into PA about a day after you released the newest version. It seems nice, but I am still trying to learn much about computers, so I view most anything new here as a challenge to learn more - so a novel item just means more work for me. This may be why I am sparing in praise.

There is no doubt you took much trouble to make a specialized, streamlined interface. I like the idea of it having such a pure, minimalist character. I also like how you used the customizability and modular nature of Linux to achieve this objective. I am very curious about how you did this - especially how to have a 'desktop' without running the rox pinboard. I saw threads on this very subject some time ago, but did not pursue it as it is one of many topics that come up in my computer-related activities.

Also, I am still looking into the subject I brought up in the PA 10 thread regarding incorporating ethernet drivers into PA. I never responded to your response to me, but I have been looking into this here and there. I am wondering about what the differences are in modules and drivers and why, for example, some drivers seem to be within a kernel directly, others need modules, and still others can come in the form of 'pets' or other installs into the usual Unix filesystem.

I like some of the additional functionality - like your low-profile VLC-gtk player which I never got working on its own with my Slacko installation. I asked you about that many months ago but was too inept to do what you told me to do. That is not anything against you at all...I am just so inexperienced.

Thanks for labeling the emulators (in the 'fun' start menu) with the actual original hardware!!! Pairing the emulator program with the system name is worth the new version all in itself.

As for 'feedback' - in other words, negative criticism - I have a few complaints, but they are not too bad and are intended to help other beginners like me.

The rom loader is ambitious, but could you perhaps put a pathbar or such in the interface to show where one is when browsing through the directories?

Acquiring and loading in the bios files is a bit complicated as I do not have a network connection to use per the third paragraph above. I did what the last post did - got them from your site and put them in manually. Maybe this process could be smoothed out. Are these the files needed to run the emulators alone? I tried the amiga program and it gives me a pic of the kickstart or workbench disk. Blah.

I would also like to say that I have had better luck with making sure that boot parameters in grub are explicitly given - like pfix=ram and such - for the kind of boot that you want. This seems to help with easily creating save files at the desired time, for example. Also, take care with how you users out there specify subdirectory names - this caused problems for me, I hope these bits help others.

I am aware that you are very busy, Scott, so I am hoping that others will address some of the things I have brought up here as they relate to concepts that extend far past Puppy Arcade. I don't intend to 'hijack' this thread - just some pointers in the right directions would be very appreciated.

sc0ttman

#23 Post by sc0ttman »

Nordic wrote:I must say that this distribution is absolutely fantastic....Puppy Arcade 11 (k2.6.25.16) has turned an old IBM Thinkpad T30 that was crumbling under its own weight into a full-fledged oldschool gaming machine (and region-free DVD-player) capable of taking advantage of its S-video output for traditional CRT monitors.
On top of that is the new Rom-Loader looking really great and comes with some very neat features.
Thanks very much! :)

• Firstly, it's about graphic drivers. The featured version of MESA/Xorg driver (installed through the 'zzx_upgrade_73_to_75_nokms-201101-1'" has unfortunately a color/gamma bug of some sort when running on 16-bit color depth with older ATI graphic chips. I'd describe it as the the screen being a really darkish green color, while the mouse cursor itself is unaffected.
    24-bit color depth works, but it's a bit unfortunate as it's leeching some valuable performance. The computer's graphic chip is a Radeon R100, or specifically, branded as ATI Mobility Radeon 7500.
I noticed this too, I have no idea what the fix is, other than to re-compile the whole lot!
Also, when running emulators on hardware acceleration through OpenGL, the screen may remain black while the emulation itself continues. It's solved by restarting the emulator, but is there a more direct known way of dealing with this problem?
Sorry, I don't know.. I don't have this problem... I took a while to sort out working quit commands for all emulators, let alone re-mapping them to make them all similar (which I did too)..
Secondly, I guess the reason why xboxdrv doesn't come packed with Puppy Arcade is because the very man himself behind it doesn't possess an actual 360 pad? Trying to install it myself has only ended in a failure.
I tried compiling it too.. Had lots of problems, couldn't get it to compile.. If anyone can, that would be fantastic!!
Thirdly, even though the Rom-Loader is a light-weight frontend in general, I'm experiencing a temporary freeze lag during rapid Rom browsing in the Rom-browser when holding the arrow key up/down. Is this perhaps just a general issue when having box art download enabled?
I think that disabling the ROM database for all frontends is the only way to speed that up ... Disabling only the boxart images will be a tiny bit faster...
Also, is there any ways of hiding specific ROMs in the Rom-browser?
No.. Except maybe change their file extension, then they will not be found... But I see this may not be ideal... For MAME, for example, all roms should finish with .zip .. so rename to .zip.tgz or something...

I'd also like to provide some feedback on the Rom-Loader frontend:

For a starter it seems the BIOS downloader has incorrectly routed its download path (except from Amiga), so I had to find the downloaded file and install it manually myself.
Noted! .. This should not be the case (BIOS should install fine) before a save file is created..

is the Rom-Loader supposed to load the romloader.cfg automatically upon a fresh start? I had to enter settings and load it manually for every hard reboot to enable joypad only navigation. For it to function with joypad only navigation at start, I had to create a startup script that loaded Rejoystick at first and then gave a 5 seconds delay before executing the Rom-Loader.
I never had to restart anything.. Rom-Loader auto loads the Rejoystick program with the relevant profile (for me)... Sorry... Check the code in /usr/local/rom-loader/*file* ... Search for "rejoy" to see where it is called.. Run 'paloader' in a terminal for more output..
Since the laptop is configured to clone the primary screen to the TV-out, the standard resolution is set to 800x600. Although, the Rom-Loader could use two improvements at a resolution this low:

In Joypad Controls, the Rejoystick keyboard mapper window blocks the view of the profile description.
Do you mean the text box on the right hand side, with the controls listed in there?? ... It covers the other text for me (the window on the left/middle, with info about using rejoystick..)...
The text in the Rom-browser is also too small for a traditional 21" TV. Perhaps the latter could have a specific setting for this?
From the README:

About Rom-Loader Themes
  • Rom-Loader comes with multiple themes, and you can set a different theme for each emulated system.
    You can also easily create your own themes and use those instead, if you wish. The easiest way to do this is to open
    existing theme files in a text editor, change stuff, then save as a new file, in the same folder as the original theme.

All theme files should be stored in /root/.paloader/themes/ .. They are gtkrc files (google it, if need be). You can open
    them in a text editor and make any changes you like. The themes can then be set in the Settings page. Please share
    your themes at the Puppy Arcade forum page - or at least share a nice screenshot.

To ensure that Rom-Loader can auto-adjust a themes font sizes based on screen resolution, you must NOT move
    or remove the following tags from existing themes: #mainfont, #titlefont, #subtitlefont, #maintreefont

If you create your own themes, you can add the #tags listed above to your theme files, after font_name="blah".
    For example, line 5 in your new theme might read:

font_name="Ubuntu 12" #mainfont

If you add the line above to a Rom-Loader theme, then Rom-Loader will auto-update the size of the main font for
    different desktop resolutions - as the resolution gets higher, the font sizes increase to keep it readable.

You can also use that theme for the entire desktop and all programs ... Look in /usr/share/themes/ for examples.
    There is already the Maschine-Orange theme folder in /usr/share/themes, which should be quite helpful.
[/list]
And finally for the most important part – I want to thank you for spending time on Puppy Arcade and also for surprising us with a major update with a lot of improvements over the previous versions. Now I'm personally also falling behind with my own work when I was learning Linux for the sake of setting up Puppy Arcade on the ol' stinkpad, but I guess that's just simply the way when one has a passion for other things but the studies.

Cheers.
Your're welcome.. :D Glad you like it.. I treated myself recently and actually bothered to set PA11 up with a save file, got 2 pads working, and some ROMs, etc, setup on the TV ... works a treat (for me).. Played a lot of Goldeneye, Wip3out, Resident Evil, Ridge Racer 4, Street Fighter, etc .. I got two 6-button layout Saitek P2500 pads coming, for better MAME, N64 and Genesis support.. :D

I understand not everyone will like how I did it, and that it may so well not work on different hardware.. But I hope you 'get used to it' and explore a few things.. It is fully customisable, after all ;)
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

sc0ttman

Re: A lot to say about this distro

#24 Post by sc0ttman »

stevielee wrote:Hello, Scott....

There is no doubt you took much trouble to make a specialized, streamlined interface. I am very curious about how you did this - especially how to have a 'desktop' without running the rox pinboard.
See the TurboPup thread.. It's in there *somewhere* :roll: I am not on Puppy for a while unfortunately, so can't hunt the code down in PA11 or Akita..
Also, I am still looking into the subject I brought up in the PA 10 thread regarding incorporating ethernet drivers into PA. I never responded to your response to me, but I have been looking into this here and there. I am wondering about what the differences are in modules and drivers and why, for example, some drivers seem to be within a kernel directly, others need modules, and still others can come in the form of 'pets' or other installs into the usual Unix filesystem.
When Barry builds a pup, he chooses which drivers to include... Others cannot be included for size or license reasons.. Then once a pup is released other users compile and package up their own, and share them .. Most drivers/firmware etc will end up in the same places, regardless of whether they were included by default or not.. Hope that's somewhat clear (and correct!)..
Thanks for labeling the emulators (in the 'fun' start menu) with the actual original hardware!!! Pairing the emulator program with the system name is worth the new version all in itself.
Yes, I thought this was a nice touch - took me long enough to learn which emulator for was which system (and remember it), so I thought I would helps other users out! ;)
As for 'feedback' - in other words, negative criticism - I have a few complaints, but they are not too bad and are intended to help other beginners like me.

The rom loader is ambitious, but could you perhaps put a pathbar or such in the interface to show where one is when browsing through the directories?
It is already included, but disabled.. I cant remember the file, but run this command, it should tell you:

grep 'DIR' /usr/local/rom-loader/funcs/func_build*

I will add an option to easily add or remove it next time..
Acquiring and loading in the bios files is a bit complicated as I do not have a network connection to use per the third paragraph above. I did what the last post did - got them from your site and put them in manually. Maybe this process could be smoothed out.
The best way to smoothly install BIOS, is to have an internet connection, and install them before creating a save file.. Other than that, check the README for the full list of BIOS files supported, and put them in /usr/lib/games/[system]/ ..

Are these BIOS the files needed to run the emulators alone?
Mostly yes, where not, they have been disabled in the ROM-Loader BIOS page.. The tooltips will tell you more (hover over an item)..
I tried the amiga program and it gives me a pic of the kickstart or workbench disk. Blah.
You might need to update the /root/.uaerc file with the correct BIOS, or use UAE in the Menu... Or.. Use FS-UAE if possible (needs OpenGL).. Wither way, whichever Amiga emulator you choose, make usre the config file points to one of the kickstart files that is actually in /usr/lib/games/amiga/ ..

Different Amiga games need different settings.. PA11 can save custom settings for each ROM .. When you find one that works, save it as a Custom Config!!
I would also like to say that I have had better luck with making sure that boot parameters in grub are explicitly given - like pfix=ram and such - for the kind of boot that you want. This seems to help with easily creating save files at the desired time, for example. Also, take care with how you users out there specify subdirectory names - this caused problems for me, I hope these bits help others.
I don't intend to 'hijack' this thread - just some pointers in the right directions would be very appreciated.
Not at all... All feedback is welcome.. Hope I have been at least slightly helpful! :D
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

stevielee

More bits and pieces

#25 Post by stevielee »

Hi all (and Scott)...

This is weird - I get back to doing personal computing stuff on Wednesday only to find that you responded the day prior! That is a bit of bad timing since I had been away for a while. If only I had gotten to this one day sooner.....

The issue of drivers and such is a topic in itself and will have to be pursued separately, but I did see your (Scott) mention of the second version of PA11 using the newer kernel. I have used that with success in networking on a number of different computers thus circumventing the whole missing eth0 problem.

But you might like to know that there is difficulty with the save files. They can only be named "warysave" (Please ignore this - see below) if they are to be recognized during boot, and using the usual "create savefile on exit" tool appears to give rise to save files that result in a kernel panic on boot. The workaround for the latter problem is to use the included program for making a blank save file and rebooting with that. Then one can proceed to amend and customize the OS.

It is true that using a network connection makes it smooth as silk to carry out BIOS and browser installation. I think my earlier mention of the BIOS thing was based in part on the (I believe) more chaotic placing of such files in the previous version, PA10. The problem with the Amiga emulator - it was the E-UAE - was that it can find the KIckstart roms, but it requires more than that it seems. It still requests the Workbench disk. Curiously, when I had an Amiga (yes, really), I remember the manual being somewhat ambiguous about the need for the Kickstart floppy, but the machine I used required only the Workbench disk - I had to put it in on every start. I will likely look around for a "Workbench disk ROM" if there is such a thing - and then put in the "floppy 0" when asked by the emulator.

I noticed a few hours after submitting this message that the whole "warysave" file naming issue was covered by Scott in the first message in this thread. Apologies to all.
Last edited by stevielee on Sat 26 Apr 2014, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

sc0ttman

Re: More bits and pieces

#26 Post by sc0ttman »

stevielee wrote:Hi all (and Scott)...

This is weird - I get back to doing personal computing stuff on Wednesday only to find that you responded the day prior! That is a bit of bad timing since I had been away for a while. If only I had gotten to this one day sooner.....
Yea, sorry about the late response, got so much work to do, and i need a tooth out, fast!! Damn thing is stopping me from closing my mouth - so i've not been doing a lot recently, except holding my jaw lol ..
But you might like to know that there is difficulty with the save files. They can only be named "warysave" if they are to be recognized during boot, and using the usual "create savefile on exit" tool appears to give rise to save files that result in a kernel panic on boot. The workaround for the latter problem is to use the included program for making a blank save file and rebooting with that. Then one can proceed to amend and customize the OS.

Yeah, that is the trouble with switching kernels - some inconsistencies... The fix for this would be (I think) to edit PupSaveConfig, and maybe the 'init' script, inside the initrd.gz file..
It is true that using a network connection makes it smooth as silk to carry out BIOS and browser installation. I think my earlier mention of the BIOS thing was based in part on the (I believe) more chaotic placing of such files in the previous version, PA10.
Yes, that was a mess, wasn't it? lol ..
The problem with the Amiga emulator - it was the E-UAE - was that it can find the KIckstart roms, but it requires more than that it seems. It still requests the Workbench disk. Curiously, when I had an Amiga (yes, really), I remember the manual being somewhat ambiguous about the need for the Kickstart floppy, but the machine I used required only the Workbench disk - I had to put it in on every start. I will likely look around for a "Workbench disk ROM" if there is such a thing - and then put in the "floppy 0" when asked by the emulator.
Hmm... I use FS-UAE .. As for E-UAE, as far as I can remember, the default settings in PA11 should play "Out of This World" just fine, with kickstart 1.3 (certain games need specific versions)...

Hope that helps :)

player

Arcade test build

#27 Post by player »

Hi, sc0ttman. I like your Arcade Puppy! I didn't played with it much but I noticed you have a wrong link on the "Test" build - Puppy Arcade 11, k3.2.13:
, you should change it to http://akita.scottjarvis.com/puppy-arca ... -alpha.iso .
Thank you!

neerajkolte

#28 Post by neerajkolte »

Looks nice. I liked the orange on dark background theme.
I have newer hardware (intel i3 with 6gb ram) so will try out the test builds.

Thanks.
-Neeraj
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

stevielee

A bit more on the PA11 front...

#29 Post by stevielee »

I have been diverted by other matters for quite some time...but here goes a little more of my input.I hope that your health has worked out, Scott.

I found some workbench roms for the amiga emulator and it provided the ancient amigados/graphical interface just fine. So that is that. But it runs impossibly slowly - is this due to my old computer (a Pentium III and 256 MB of ram)? Anyone's opinion on this would be appreciated. When trying a couple of games on some of the sega and nintendo emulators, the games can stick and stutter on occasion, but often they run well. For example, Outrun for sega is fine and Super Mario World ( or one of those Mario things) looks good for nintendo.

Also, there is the issue I mentioned with the rom loader above. It can freeze on occasion, and there is no pathbar to help navigation.

For PA11 - to restore the pathname bar in the rom browser - in /usr/local/rom-loader/func/func_build_chooser_gui set the auto entry refresh and button visible to "true" in lines 68ff. Also set other relevant values to "true" in those lines.

In the file /usr/local/rom-loader/func/func_set_gui_height follow the comments there and set the screen height values a bit above 300 and 330 - the comments' references to freezing seem to be explain the problem. This may vary depending on the resolution at which you are running PA11. So the exact numbers here can vary.

More to come, perhaps...

Steven

sc0ttman

Re: A bit more on the PA11 front...

#30 Post by sc0ttman »

stevielee wrote:I found some workbench roms for the amiga emulator and it provided the ancient amigados/graphical interface just fine. So that is that. But it runs impossibly slowly - is this due to my old computer (a Pentium III and 256 MB of ram)?
Amiga emulation generally, especially FS-UAE is very CPU intensive, even though Amigas themselves are not 'high powered' system like PSX etc ..

The best thing would be to use E-UAE - the no_gui version .. it will be the 'fastest' of the amiga emulators, but may be trickier to setup.. Sorry the amiga setup is not easier to do, but they are generally fussy no matter what..

When trying a couple of games on some of the sega and nintendo emulators, the games can stick and stutter on occasion, but often they run well. For example, Outrun for sega is fine and Super Mario World ( or one of those Mario things) looks good for nintendo.
I'm surprised anything runs that well on a PIII, but happy to hear it does.. But thank Barry K for that, not me.. But again, this stuttering is probably the fact you're running a PIII system.. Although in any system, the better the graphics card, the better the emulation will be generally.. Not sure what cards would be available or work on such an old system though..
Also, there is the issue I mentioned with the rom loader above. It can freeze on occasion
The 'solution' is either to increase the desktop resolution to something with a greater height, or, to reduce the fonts sizes in the Rom-Loader themes (/root/.paloader/themes/), or lastly, as you say, you can edit
the file /usr/local/rom-loader/func/func_set_gui_height [then] follow the comments there and set the screen height values a bit above 300 and 330 - the comments' references to freezing seem to be explain the problem. This may vary depending on the resolution at which you are running PA11. So the exact numbers here can vary.
Couldn't have put it better myself..

player

#31 Post by player »

sc0ttman wrote: The 'solution' is either to increase the desktop resolution to something with a greater height...
Hi, I have problems with the resolution, no matter which resolution (lower or greater) or video mode I choose, it keeps the same 1600x1200. I tried several times, I restarted X, I started from text mode the config then launched the X server, but still the same - 1600x1200. What is wrong, or what I'm doing wrong? The highest resolution accepted by my 20" is 1680x1250.
Thanks.

sc0ttman

#32 Post by sc0ttman »

player wrote:
sc0ttman wrote: The 'solution' is either to increase the desktop resolution to something with a greater height...
Hi, I have problems with the resolution, no matter which resolution (lower or greater) or video mode I choose, it keeps the same 1600x1200. I tried several times, I restarted X, I started from text mode the config then launched the X server, but still the same - 1600x1200. What is wrong, or what I'm doing wrong? The highest resolution accepted by my 20" is 1680x1250.
Thanks.
You should be able to adjust the actual screen resolution with the "Personalise Settings" app, in the main menu (in System->Steup, I think) ... If not, you can try the xrandr thing in Menu->Desktop .. That should also work..

You could also hit Ctrl-alt-Backspace, and type 'xorgwizard' (no quotes) then hit ENTER, to choose a resolution... Then type 'xwin' to go back into the X desktop..

If that fails, try editing the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/ (I think) .. Search for where it says 1600x1200, change it to another valid resolution and save it, close it, then restart the desktop ..

If you really can't change resolution for some reason, you can edit the themes in /root/.paloader/themes/ instead, to reduce the height of the main windows ... Any other methods you will have to come up with yourself, as these normally all work fine.. Sorry I can't be of more help.

ash_mario

Internet Problem

#33 Post by ash_mario »

Hello, I have installed Puppy Arcade 11 on a USB drive, but I am not able to connect to the internet via an ethernet cable. Wifi doesn't work either. The machine I am using is a Thinkpad T430.

I have tested Puppy Arcade in vmware and I am using it on a USB drive. The weird thing is that the operating system doesn't detect modems but connects to the internet when I use vmware. But, when I use Puppy Linux on a USB drive, it detects no modem and doesn't connect to the internet anyway.

Please help.

EDIT:

I have an Intel Centrino N-2200 network adapter.
Others on this forum have copied intel centrino files to lib/firmware/

but I don't know how to find that location. I am new to puppy linux.

souenzzo

sources

#34 Post by souenzzo »

how/here I can get the source/recipes to study/contribute to the project?

sc0ttman

Re: sources

#35 Post by sc0ttman »

souenzzo wrote:how/here I can get the source/recipes to study/contribute to the project?
Inside the folder /usr/local/rom-loader .. That is where the 'source' for the Rom-Loader program is kept.. It is just a bunch of shell scripts..

sc0ttman

Re: Internet Problem

#36 Post by sc0ttman »

ash_mario wrote:Hello, I have installed Puppy Arcade 11 on a USB drive, but I am not able to connect to the internet via an ethernet cable. Wifi doesn't work either.
Try the other kernel versions, the k2.6.25.16 is probably too old for you.

Marceline

Help me!

#37 Post by Marceline »

I tried to install Puppy arcade, but a dialog with "error" appears. He says there is no pup_420 file.
I'm installing from cd.
Help me!

willz06jw

No Sound on Dell Mini 9

#38 Post by willz06jw »

Thanks for your great work,

I cannot get the sound to work on my Dell Mini 9. I have ran the ALSA wizard to no avail. I have tried Puppy Arcade 11, k2.6.25.16 and Puppy Arcade 11, kernel 2.6.32-smp with no luck. There is no sound (using the Sound Wizard sound test) in either of those versions.

Where should I start? I noticed that the sound does work in the Slack Puppy 5.7 -- if that helps.

Thanks again,
Will

sc0ttman

Re: No Sound on Dell Mini 9

#39 Post by sc0ttman »

Marceline wrote:I tried to install Puppy arcade, but a dialog with "error" appears. He says there is no pup_420 file.
I'm installing from cd.
Help me!
willz06jw wrote:Thanks for your great work,

I cannot get the sound to work on my Dell Mini 9. I have ran the ALSA wizard to no avail. I have tried Puppy Arcade 11, k2.6.25.16 and Puppy Arcade 11, kernel 2.6.32-smp with no luck. There is no sound (using the Sound Wizard sound test) in either of those versions.

Where should I start? I noticed that the sound does work in the Slack Puppy 5.7 -- if that helps.

Thanks again,
Will
Good News!

I've just uploaded a brand spanking new Puppy Arcade 11

... this time based on Slacko 5.9.3.. So finally, Puppy Arcade is using the latest Puppy as a 'base'.. Support for the latest hardware should be pretty damn good.

File: http://akita.scottjarvis.com/slacko_arcade.iso

Size: 266mb .. md5: 509e44e512f35cce97537a8d20f883a8

Summary:

- Added Nintendo DS (desmume) and Sony PSP (ppsspp) support to Rom-Loader
- added xboxdrv (but you must set it up yourselves)
- Based on Slacko 5.9.3 beta
- To compile, get the devx: devx_slacko_5.9.2.sfs
- Built using Slackware 14.1 packages, kernel 3.4.94
- All kernel modules and firmware in a 'zdrive' file (can swap kernels more easily)
- Everything else is pretty much the same as other Puppy Arcade 11 versions
Attachments
NDS_PSP_support.png
(52.47 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times

bark_bark_bark

#40 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Do you think MESS would work with Puppy Arcade?

EDIT: Is the bash fix included?