Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
fredx181

#1981 Post by fredx181 »

Toni, I think it's good to add the libglib2.0-bin package.
It has 'glib-compile-schemas' which is used in loadmodules as post-loading command.
It gives greater chance that applications work when creating module with apt2sfs.

Another thing: Can we create maybe a devx.sfs (for compiling) with apt2sfs.
Didn't test yet so I'm not sure if it would work.

Fred

sunburnt

#1982 Post by sunburnt »

Fred; An add-on Devx Squash file is on my wish list.
Hopefully build it up like most of Puppy`s with many languages and dev. tools.
Need a non-unioned version ( portable app ), much easier to use and lower system resources.

saintless

#1983 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Looking at /usr/bin/loadmodule in 02-apps-porteus.xzm I see it's not old ...
So that's the one to use if you would implement right-click option for activate but that's only for DebianDog-Porteus then. (it mounts on /mnt/live/memory/images)
Hi, Fred.
Can you confirm again we need to use /usr/bin/loadmodule from 02-apps-porteus.xzm included in DebainDog-PorteusDog-test.iso here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Light-Whe ... g-test.iso
It doesn't even have gsu line included. It is much different from your latest /usr/bin/lobmodule included in 02-apps-porteus.xzm here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing
Which one to use?

Toni

saintless

#1984 Post by saintless »

sunburnt wrote:Here`s a new debmenu2desktop.convert file. I fixed the ";" and removed the double quotes.
# I tested it on the debmenu file: xfe and it output 5 groups of text for desktop files.
And also a new Categories.lst file that has the new translate line: "Utilities Utility"
Thank you, Terry.
I will test it tonight and write back.

saintless

#1985 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Toni, I think it's good to add the libglib2.0-bin package.
It has 'glib-compile-schemas' which is used in loadmodules as post-loading command.
It gives greater chance that applications work when creating module with apt2sfs.
OK, since it is needed for apt2sfs we need to include libglib2.0-bin also.
Another thing: Can we create maybe a devx.sfs (for compiling) with apt2sfs.
I'm not sure how devx.sfs will work with apt2sfs.
I have something started including build-essentials and checkinstall but I have to clean status and available files to make script for updating dpkg database. Around 200 package entries have to be moved in separate files. No time to do this yet.

Terry, if you mean localization it is not something I see as important. especially for devx.sfs. The compiling commands are typed in English anyway. Basic level of English is needed to compile packages. All install instructions in the source packages are in English.

Do you have some dev tools in mind to be included?

Toni

fredx181

#1986 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Yes, I should have mentioned, it's the one from my google-drive.
OK, since it is needed for apt2sfs we need to include libglib2.0-bin also.
Thanks, btw it's needed for loadmodule (it executes stuff after mounting module).
I'm not sure how devx.sfs will work with apt2sfs.
I have something started including build-essentials and checkinstall but I have to clean status and available files to make script for updating dpkg database.
I just mean to create a module from 'build-essential and all other stuff that's needed' with apt2sfs.
Maybe it works well without dpkg registering.
I'm not into compiling lately, don't even know what's all needed (build-essential and .....?)

Fred

mcewanw

#1987 Post by mcewanw »

Oh dear... I was playing with fdisk in an attempt to optimally align partitions on a new usb stick I bought for a new debiandog installation but I accidentally erased my current active debiandog installed usb instead! Talk about having to start from scratch. No problem with doing that for debiandog itself of course, but goodbye to anything else that was on there!

Just a minor setback really though.

But this particular link about partition alignment is one of the better ones I've read:

http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Partition_Alignment
github mcewanw

anikin

#1988 Post by anikin »

Hi mcewanw,

Good link indeed, thanks for sharing. Here's a bit more radical approach:
https://blogofterje.wordpress.com/2012/ ... n-sd-card/
Works very well for me both on SD cards and usb flash drives.

saintless

#1989 Post by saintless »

Hi, All.

06-DEVX-DebDog.squashfs-53Mb compiling tools module uploaded:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... g.squashfs

Code: Select all

md5sum 852b5203794ea4371e414245e792fd81  06-DEVX-DebDog.squashfs
It does not have dpkg-update option but /var folder is renamed to /var-noload for later editing and option to update dpkg-database if needed.
The module works without dpkg database update. it is created with RemasterCow script and all packages are configured after apt-get install on running system. Tested to compile and install Jwm and it works.
Haven't tested yet what will be the result using apt2sfs.

Included packages:

build-essential automake autoconf libtool pkg-config libcurl4-openssl-dev intltool libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libnotify-dev libglib2.0-dev libevent-dev checkinstall upx-ucl linux-headers-3.2.0-4-486
All needed package dependencies are also included.
The easiest way to test it is to use checkinstall for example:

./configure && make && checkinstall
This will execute configure, make, create deb package and install the deb package process.
Someone with more experiense than me can suggest different packages to include or replace. For the moment this is what we have as Devx.sfs for DebianDog.

Toni

saintless

#1990 Post by saintless »

Hi, Terry.
testing latest debmenu2desktop.convert for CLI applications has this problem:
/usr/share/menu:

?package(w3m):needs="text" \
  section="Applications/Network/Web Browsing" \
  title="w3m" \
  command="/usr/bin/w3m /usr/share/doc/w3m/MANUAL.html" \
  hints="Web browsers"
From menu-debian it executes xterm with manual.html loaded in terminal.

converted in /usr/share/applications desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Terminal=true
Categories=Applications;Network;Web Browsing;
Name=w3m
Exec=/usr/bin/w3m /usr/share/doc/w3m/MANUAL.html
Comment=Web browsers
Click on w3m menu entry does not start w3m in terminal. Terminal=true seems is not enough to execute terminal. Strange it does not since Terminal=true. Adding this executes w3m in terminal:

Exec=xterm -e /usr/bin/w3m /usr/share/doc/w3m/MANUAL.html
We need to add xterm -e after Execute= for terminal=true applications. Otherwise they will not start from menu.
The problem is if xterm is uninstalled by the user all desktop files with xterm line will stop work. Maybe we need to use default_virtual-terminal instead xterm. I will change all desktop files with xterm to use default_virtual-terminal.

I test with enabled copy/remove in folder-changes. Seems working fine for now.

Toni

sunburnt

#1991 Post by sunburnt »

Toni; Yes I noticed that, the desktop files in Puppy have the VT`s command line "rxvt -e".
I thought about doing this, but I`m guessing that a wrapper script is supposed to handle it.
The other thing is the poor support ( writing ) of "needs=" and "Terminal=".
Like many of the key words, most people don`t know how they are to be used.
The desktop key word "Type=" is mandatory, but many desktop files do not have it.

# And yes, all references to the VT should be "default_virtual-terminal".
# As with executing any of the apps that have the "default_xxxx" links ( except main menu ).

I`ll change debmenu2desktop.convert to make it add code to Exec= lines for needs="text".

Exec=default_virtual-terminal -e ($exec)
# Devx file, downloaded it. I`ll test and post addition suggestions for the next one.
# NOTE: Will there be 2 Devx files, standard and Porteus.? OR will your Devx work on both?

William; Sorry to hear about your snafu, but it`ll turn out to be a good education I`m sure...
I`d like to see a menu item to install DebianDog to USB HD/Flash and SD, MMC media.
All levels of media preparation and install:

1) Clear media, partition and format ( optional ). Make partitions: boot, data, and swap.
If media is to be used with WinBlows, then first partition should be vFAT or NTFS.
Other wise Weeners won`t see the drive unless it has Linux partition drivers installed.
The boot partition should be ext2 or ext3 whether it`s the first partition or not.

2) Copy DebianDog and live-rw files to boot partition, do post setup ( grub boot, etc...).

fredx181

#1992 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, All
06-DEVX-DebDog.squashfs-53Mb compiling tools module uploaded:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... g.squashfs
Thanks!
It seems from a quick try that it works, and... without dpkg registration, that's great.

I made new loadmodule script (see below .zip, inside: separate folders for live-boot and porteus-boot)
Changes:
- Added option for 'no overwrite', this way nothing from the base system gets overwritten when loading a module, which is more safe IMO.
I believe 'sfs_load' for puppy has this as default behaviour.
The command line for this mode:

loadmodule -ano /path/to/module
- Added help (type: loadmodule -h )
- More errorchecking

Also in the .zip; loadmodulegui, a gui that depends on new loadmodule and has also the 'no overwrite' mode as an option included (corresponding with loadmodule script).

EDIT 2014-03-26 :
Had to change loadmodule for live-boot so that "no overwrite" works with and without the 'showmounts' boot option.
EDIT 2014-03-27:
loadmodule for live-boot edited; "no overwrite" option works also in unexpected circumstances now.
New loadmodule+loadmodulegui.zip uploaded:

Fred
Attachments
loadmodule+loadmodulegui.zip
updated "no overwrite" option for live-boot DebianDog
(6.29 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 22:22, edited 2 times in total.

fredx181

#1993 Post by fredx181 »

Terry wrote:# NOTE: Will there be 2 Devx files, standard and Porteus.? OR will your Devx work on both?
From what I've tried sofar it works on both.

Fred

sunburnt

#1994 Post by sunburnt »

Fred; Good to hear, I figured as much, but you never know...

Toni; New debmenu2desktop.convert file, fixed a few bugs I found.
I changed the desktop file name back to the "Exec=(name)", it could be "Name=(App_Name)".
And it now creates this output for debmenu files with: needs="text"

##T  dash.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Dash
Terminal=true
Categories=Applications;Shells;
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/xterm-color_32x32.xpm
Exec=default_virtual-terminal -e /bin/dash -i
Attachments
debmenu2desktop.convert.bac.zip
Path: /opt/bin
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 263 times

mcewanw

#1995 Post by mcewanw »

anikin wrote:Here's a bit more radical approach:
https://blogofterje.wordpress.com/2012/ ... n-sd-card/
Works very well for me both on SD cards and usb flash drives.
Yes, interesting. The link you post is the first one I've noticed that suggests a method to determine erase block size. I'm not sure how important all this alignment stuff is nowadays to be honest; I think some things have changed in the last few years so latest fdisk and partitioning tools maybe provide a reasonable compromise in terms of alignment, but I'm not sure and don't have time nor inclination to run a whole series of tests myself. But as long as the method is straightforward, no harm in trying it I feel.

Of course this is all a bit off-topic except I am running DebianDog off a usb flash drive ;-)
Last edited by mcewanw on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#1996 Post by mcewanw »

sunburnt wrote: If media is to be used with WinBlows, then first partition should be vFAT or NTFS.
Other wise Weeners won`t see the drive unless it has Linux partition drivers installed.
The boot partition should be ext2 or ext3 whether it`s the first partition or not.
Yes, I've set up a few usb sticks with first partition as fat32 for storing some files for MSwindows OS.

But my current usb flash is destined for Linux only. Actually I'm using ext4 but without journal. I've read that ext4 provides several performance improvements compared to ext2 and ext3 anyway, so worth using it even without journal.
github mcewanw

saintless

#1997 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:I made new loadmodule script (see below .zip, inside: separate folders for live-boot and porteus-boot)
Thank you, Fred!
Does that mean we need only this loadmodule for both live-boot and porteus-boot? If it does I will add this one to the main module and 02-apps-porteus.xzm will not have loadmodule included.

Toni

saintless

#1998 Post by saintless »

Hi, Terry.
I will test new debmenu2desktop.convert.
BTW I have in /opt/bin folder-changes, debmenu2desktop script and debmenu2desktop.convert Bacon app. Is this the right configuration for testing?
If I remove debmenu2desktop script I get error it can not find after executing folder-changes. I use it with activated copy and delete options..
# As with executing any of the apps that have the "default_xxxx" links ( except main menu ).
I see most of Rox Set-Run-Action are not this way. I will change what I can find with default-links.
# NOTE: Will there be 2 Devx files, standard and Porteus.? OR will your Devx work on both?
It will work on both.
I`d like to see a menu item to install DebianDog to USB HD/Flash and SD, MMC media.
All levels of media preparation and install:
Will be very good. Too complicated for me to do it unfortunately :(

Toni

fredx181

#1999 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
saintless wrote:
fredx181 wrote:I made new loadmodule script (see below .zip, inside: separate folders for live-boot and porteus-boot)
Thank you, Fred!
Does that mean we need only this loadmodule for both live-boot and porteus-boot? If it does I will add this one to the main module and 02-apps-porteus.xzm will not have loadmodule included.

Toni
In the zip there are 2 with the same name but different, that why I put them in separate folders.
The difference is just the mountpoint (/live for live-boot and /mnt/live/memory/images for porteus-boot)
I think it's best to put the porteus one in 021-apps-porteus.xzm and make sure that it overwrites the "live-boot loadmodule" in the main module.
And remove the older /usr/bin/loadmodule in 021-apps-porteus.xzm

The loadmodulegui can be used on both but it expects loadmodule in PATH.

Fred

saintless

#2000 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred!
I will set it up as you explained it.

Toni