Fujitsu Amilo USB not auto recognized in Precise 5.7.1

Booting, installing, newbie
moki

Fujitsu Amilo USB not auto recognized in Precise 5.7.1

#1 Post by moki »

I have loaded Precise 5.7.1 on my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop. USB flash disks are not recognized after booting up the laptop. I had Slacko 5.6 installed previously and the USB flash disks worked fine. If i plug in a USB flash disk before booting up, the flash disk icons appears after booting. If a flash disk is inserted after booting up, it is not recognized. Any ideas??

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

You DO need to say it is a FULL version, not Frugal. :)

And answer my question (on TechGuy) as to whether it makes any difference.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

moki

#3 Post by moki »

It is a full install. :)

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

Good to see some one else In the world has a Fujitsu computer.. One thing i can tell you is they must do there own entire boot system in house. Because it is so so very different... But not in a bad way. Just different. What I will say everything I first considered a issue and a wierd quirk actually is a well planned feature. So first do not panic or think it can't be done, think that they actually have a better idea to streamline the process..

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

Ok reread your post carerfully and that action is consistent to how security is handled by default.. IE they are mostly known for there production server line.. Not consumer goods normally.. I say normally because they will have at least one product at each form factor that you can buy.. Because people in the know can trust that the level of security is the same in a mixed office format.
Here is the cool part... You may also have everything else built into your laptop that a production server will have... everything... really cool stuff that that you would never be exposed to in a made for consumer product..

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

I forgot to ask, did they work under Windows? if you had that on there.

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

You booted from a cold boot once and used the usb as THE system that boot process handed over the security role over too. That detail has now been inprinted in non volatile memory... That usb device is no longer considered an add on or media transfer device... It is a critical operating system device. Do you see the distinction? It does not add critical operating devices while machine is using a different critical operating device to protect the server.. Linux can't see it.. it really does not exist ... yet! no amount of pluging and unplugging in any USB port on that machine with that device will work... until a cold or warm boot. At that stage if two different crical operating devices exist both coded in NVM the last will still be the lead. but the machine will now see both.. and the boot process will take extra long and hexadecimal codes will display in one place on screen to tell you why its delays boot if It can't figure out best safe action it will turn itself off and not boot either.

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

And in English, that means??

Please??? ;)

cthisbear

#9 Post by cthisbear »

" If a flash disk is inserted after booting up, it is not recognized.

Any ideas??"

::::::::::::

Try other usb ports. If it doesn't show try>>>>>

Cntrl Alt Backspace >> type xwin..>> and get back onto desktop

see if it shows up

:::::::

Sometimes it was a Xvesa versus Xorg situation.

You had to reverse your settings.

" It's quite possible that you selected Xorg...
and your drives won't show up.
Sometimes it happens.

Try Xvesa...select the resolution ...1024 x 768.

Now the drives should show up.

Open up 2 Rox file managers as per my previous posts here.

If you indeed tried Xvesa first...
go for Xorg.

Ah! computers. "

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&start=30

" cthisbear, thanks for the tip! I started it up in versa and I can find my files! HUGE sigh! "

"""""""""

Chris.

Ted Dog

#10 Post by Ted Dog »

Burn_IT wrote:And in English, that means??

Please??? ;)
machine is protective to the point of keeping current os safe by removing hardware from view if it has to. anti Snowden measures if you like... the usb is being treated like a hot swap sata drive..

Burn_IT

#11 Post by Burn_IT »

I was being a LITTLE sarcastic, but thanks anyway for that.

So it is the BIOS/security layer that is hiding it. Is there no setting in there with which one can override it so that it is detected?

Does a reset of the NVM clear the critical devices? and, if it does, will USB sticks be swappable as long as they are not there at a cold boot and get added again? (I'm guessing not).

moki

#12 Post by moki »

Thanks for all the replies!!

All the USB ports worked fine under windows XP. As I mentioned previously with Linux the USB ports do not work after bootup with the exception of slack0 5.6.

When cold booting with the USB stick plugged in, I always see the USB sticks on all the distros which I tried.

rokytnji

#13 Post by rokytnji »

I figured it was a hardware centric thing also but was stumped by

"moki said: with the exception of slack0 5.6. "

So I mentioned
I posted that link because the guy wanted automount to stop in his puppy. I was hoping you could compre lines in the text files with what you have
or even better. Copy the relevant files from 5.6 and make a backup of files to replace in 5.7 and insert the 5.6 in their stead.

Weird is usually attributed to hardware weirdness. What works on one guys gear may not work on another.
That Upup precise I posted had some nice bells and whistles and comes with a 3.7 kernel and is non pae.
Just saying.
So I think Ted Dog is on to something here. Being a user himself with the same laptop.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/other- ... oblem.html