Slacko 5.7 final - 8 March 2014

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rufwoof

#501 Post by rufwoof »

SFR wrote:
rufwoof wrote:And the volume configuration doesn't seem to make any difference no matter what colours I set.
To change the color of Rertovol icon, use:

Code: Select all

# retrovol_speaker 
Takes 1 color argument
	eg:	red, blue, green (in English)
	or hex (escaped #):	\#ff0000,\#0000ff,\#00ff00
If input is garbage then output is garbage!
# 
Greetings!
Thanks, but tried that and no change.

Tried editing .retrovolrc and nothing.

It looks like the speaker in the tray is xtmix (tried adding a colour parameter to the .jwmrc-tray and that didn't work either).

gcmartin

#502 Post by gcmartin »

PAE does NOT hinder any system operation. NOR does it hamper or diminish CPU performance. This has been echoed many times by the CPU manufacturers. You will/do get equivalent hardware performance no matter which of the CPU memory models the Operating System uses.

I don't and have never had a non-PAE PC. But, I do recognize and believe the CPU manufacturers, both, reported the same stories at Developer-Customer seminars.

Lot of the concerns on PAE and non-PAE apply ONLY if you are one of those who happen to have a non-PAE system. Over 99% of all the computers by Intel and AMD are built with PAE on-board.

If you have PAE CPUs, you can use either of the 32bit OSes ever built. If not your choice is limited to a non-PAE choice.

You DO NOT lose anything using a PAE no matter how little or how much RAM you have. It all done by the hardware, no matter which choice your OS allows you to boot. For this SLACKO version, the developer advises a recommended minimum RAM to expect good service in this distro's use. Benefit should be expected to be the same no matter which you boot with.

Whether one chooses otherwise, is a personal choice. Some of this community sees benefit in its use as was expressed by @GordonC (I wonder if he, too, has been to those seminars "back in the day") as it expresses some of the benefit allowed by PAE. Some community membership continues to try to put this topic into some singularity of RAM use.

How many remember that until the PUP developers investigated PAE, 32bit PUPs could ONLY ADDRESS 3.5GB. The 4GB kernels, for those unaware, is a parm change in kernel builds to allow the additional "missing 1/2GB" RAM could be used in non-PAE hardware addressing.

In essence for those who want to make a case of it, there are really 3 32bit kernel modes of OS use: 3.5GB/4GB/64GB ceiling Operating Systems. Windows, Linux have used these variously. There use 2 hardware modes of RAM addressing pre-1995 mode and PAE-1995+.

Maybe we need to start a PUPPY only thread to make it plain for anyone where we remove the emotional responses which allude that one mode is "better" than the other. PAE is hardware not some concept of software. As such the Operating System know how to tell the CPU which it wants to run. And the OSes then make internal tables to support system and subsystem operations which allow applications to be able to meet their demands. Absence, does identically (architecturally) the same.

Hardware...not how I feel. Hardware!

One member publishes what he says is happening on his system. Here is the "evidence" I show with 14 tabs open across 3 browser windows and 4 ROX windows open without any multimedia playing (it only goes up from this):

# Free
bash: Free: command not found
# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       4149248      2085504      2063744            0        34560
-/+ buffers:            2050944      2098304
Swap:      8389012            0      8389012
# 
I run a lot of webpages simultaneously open with many also with both server-side and client-side stuff. And when playing a multimedia on desktop and doing other such stuff with moving things around in data and content creation, I run much more than 1GBof RAM usage as shown by the "free" command. In fact, on most PUPs I run, browser use is a big contributor as the system moves things in its SWAP use, as it attempts to give me good application performance. This is NOT limited to either of the 32bit modes of OSes, for I also have done such on my 64bit PCs as well. So to suggest to anyone that your workload is representative is probably not a good leadership for them. Rather, it might be useful to assist thru sharing how workloads can be managed effectively when running versus trying to steer anyone in one direction or another.

Lastly, all emotions aside, and all debates aside, my recommendation is still a valid one. "If you have PAE you can use either; if not, you are limited to only non-PAE.".

Enjoy either of your choices. This continues to be a very good distro for community use.

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 19 Mar 2014, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

SFR

#503 Post by SFR »

rufwoof wrote:
SFR wrote:
rufwoof wrote:And the volume configuration doesn't seem to make any difference no matter what colours I set.
To change the color of Rertovol icon, use:

# retrovol_speaker 
Takes 1 color argument
	eg:	red, blue, green (in English)
	or hex (escaped #):	\#ff0000,\#0000ff,\#00ff00
If input is garbage then output is garbage!
# 
Greetings!
Thanks, but tried that and no change.

Tried editing .retrovolrc and nothing.

It looks like the speaker in the tray is xtmix (tried adding a colour parameter to the .jwmrc-tray and that didn't work either).
That's odd, works here. :?

Greetings!
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(8.75 KiB) Downloaded 1023 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

gcmartin

#504 Post by gcmartin »

BTW, thanks SFR. Tried it yesterday.

rufwoof

#505 Post by rufwoof »

SFR wrote: That's odd, works here. :?
My mistake, works for me as well.

I took your earlier posting to be a retrovol speaker help type output and assumed the command was

retrovol red

Dumb noob that I am :)

gortonc

#506 Post by gortonc »

Hmm... sometimes I am stumped by simple things. I tried to install qt-4.8.2 from the Slackware 14.0 official repository using p.package mang. After installing it shows that I am missing the dependency: libmysqlclient.so.18

I have searched in vain. :oops: Any suggestions are appreciated.

mavrothal

#507 Post by mavrothal »

gortonc wrote:Hmm... sometimes I am stumped by simple things. I tried to install qt-4.8.2 from the Slackware 14.0 official repository using p.package mang. After installing it shows that I am missing the dependency: libmysqlclient.so.18

I have searched in vain. :oops: Any suggestions are appreciated.
Qt should work without it but if you definitely need it for some app install mysql from PPM. Is a heavy 85MB package
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

gortonc

#508 Post by gortonc »

Thanks Mavrothal.However the mystery deepens (for me). I am confused by the options for installing qt. There are several SFS files and pets. What is the preferred one for Slacko 5.7?

It is required for several programs I need: Bitmessage, Anki, SpiderOak, and bitcoin-qt. I have the first two working, but SpiderOak and bc-qt are putting up a fight.

I would prefer an SFS, but will use whatever works.

As always, thanks for any help.

PS... as a matter of netiquette, is this the place to post these questions?

01micko

#509 Post by 01micko »

gortonc

If you go to the Menu under Setup you see SFS Manager. The qt-open-src sfs will work fine. It should download and install. You will need to reboot for full functionality.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rufwoof

#510 Post by rufwoof »

For those with Shinobar's portable firefox installed updated to latest version 28 (may also work with other (older) FF versions), a few useful Extensions to install (IMO) are :

NoScript (goes without saying)
Zoom Page to aid with zooming in and out (right click to scale, or not, images)
Hide Tab with One bar - so no tabs if only a single browser window
Hide Caption Title Bar

If you set the tray to be at the top of screen rather than the bottom i.e. Menu, Desktop, JWM Management, Tray Management, Tray Placement, then in full screen browser display of a single web page, the tray in effect looks like the title bar.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-03-22_164750.jpg
(61.68 KiB) Downloaded 655 times

rufwoof

#511 Post by rufwoof »

Non full screen browser images of the same :
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-03-22_171421.jpg
(45.25 KiB) Downloaded 1692 times
Screenshot_2014-03-22_171508.jpg
(60.79 KiB) Downloaded 1595 times

rufwoof

xpaint

#512 Post by rufwoof »

Installed xpaint today from PPM. Nice little draw/paint tool

Also can be started with xpaint -magnifier to start up a magnification window. Or xpaint -snapshot to enable a quick dragging over the area you want to capture (I know - mtpaint and pupsnapshot already do that).

Negatives : The menu fonts in xpaint are too small for my liking and I don't think its being maintained/updated ???
Attachments
vnc_pup.jpg
(37.14 KiB) Downloaded 1636 times

gortonc

#513 Post by gortonc »

01micko--Thank you. I had that SFS loaded but I still show qt as a missing dependency. Nonetheless, I was able to get SpiderOak working, so I am happy for now.

Next question: I have installed py-qt, but it is quite massive. I have seen several SFS files for it. Which one is recommended for Slacko5.7?

Again, thank you folks for all the help. I look forward to the day when I can start giving some, instead of just need it. :)

puppy_apprentice

#514 Post by puppy_apprentice »

On my old machine (from 2000) 5.7 is working very nice. Attached hardware/system reports. Btw. is there quite new pup with Dillo or Netsurf, because FF is to much memory hungry.

Edit:
I had only problem (on former versions too) with proper resolution for my graphic card and monitor. So i've used old CD of Knoppix and checked parameters for vertical and horizontal synchronization and used them in X-conf file on Slacko. I't will be nice if Slacko could recognize graphics cards and monitors on boot like Knoppix.

Edit2:
My graphic card on this old machine is Riva TNT2 M64 and monitor is Belinea 17'' (model 10 30 40). I'm using those sync values in X-conf file: H = 31-68, V = 59-85 and resolution is 1024x768. Maybe somebody finds those values useful.
Attachments
soltek65fvb.tar.gz
(105.08 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Last edited by puppy_apprentice on Wed 09 Apr 2014, 09:37, edited 2 times in total.

OscarTalks

#515 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello puppy_apprentice,

Latest Dillo is available as .pet here:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=92620

You may also wish to try SlimBoat browser
http://slimboat.com
More fully-featured than Dillo and less hungry than FF
Available as .pet or .sfs for Puppy here:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

puppy_apprentice

#516 Post by puppy_apprentice »

It was quick answer, thx.

musher0

#517 Post by musher0 »

Nice! :) (with musher0 tweaks, of course!) 8)
Thanks, mick and co.!
Attachments
slacko571icewm-fr_CA.jpg
(35.92 KiB) Downloaded 1118 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#518 Post by musher0 »

@OscarTalks
Attachments
slimboat-pet-fails-to-install.jpg
(20.57 KiB) Downloaded 1120 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

OscarTalks

#519 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello musher0,

Sorry, I was not able to reproduce any problem. I can only suggest you try downloading and installing again. I just tested in Slacko 5.7 with pfix=ram, downloaded from smokey01.com and installed. All went OK, see screenshot, posting from it now.
Attachments
slimboat-slacko-5.7.jpg
SlimBoat 1.1.48 .pet installed OK in Slacko 5.7 for me
(58.65 KiB) Downloaded 1040 times
Oscar in England

SFR

#520 Post by SFR »

@Musher0: sometimes (some?) browsers tend to unpack downloaded files on-the-fly. Check if the pet is really gzip'ed.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]