Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
fredx181

#1921 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
Fred, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but check out in 01-v7.squashfs in /opt/bin/new/changes-EXIT-files
Yes, thanks!, it was in the snapmergepuppy script.
Fortunally didn't have to reinvent the wheel :)
New revision of 021-apps-porteus.xzm: use link in one of my previous posts.

Fred

sunburnt

#1922 Post by sunburnt »

Toni; If Debian uses /menu files reliably, then mk-menu should use them.
I like Free standards, but we`re using Debian, so lets do it the Debian way.
# It only makes sense to use what Debian supports...

I can rewrite mk-menu to read menu files, and keep desktop files as option.
Then debmenu2desktop would not be needed so much.
# Need to check that most .deb packages have menu files ( I`d think so...).
### This could possibly solve our menu problems completely.!

saintless

#1923 Post by saintless »

Terry, I'm sure Debian uses much more reliable /usr/share/menu files since they are the structure of debian update-menus system.
Unfortunately some package developers do not make menu files for debian menu system and have only desktop packages included. This is the future package management behaviour. This means debian packages outside debian wheezy repository may not have menu files included. Debian developers maybe will follow this method for the next stable debian or try to adapt current debian menu to use desktop files.
If we change the menu method it is better to use desktop files. This way we will have separate working replacement for debian menu system.

I think there is no point to try to replace debian menus system using the same menu files just to get different menu structure.

Edit: Terry, it is better to test a few days mk-jwm.menu before starting work to convert and copy new menu -> desktop files after every new installed package. Maybe the missing desktop files will not be too many and we can use manual convert as option.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Fri 21 Mar 2014, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#1924 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Fortunally didn't have to reinvent the wheel :)
New revision of 021-apps-porteus.xzm: use link in one of my previous posts.
Thank you, Fred :)
I usually keep the files for next modules easy to be found by me in the main module. Otherwise I will forget what else needs to be changed.

Toni

sunburnt

#1925 Post by sunburnt »

I`d think that Debian packages would have at least one of the files.

I`ll work on detecting new menu files, and making new desktop files.

saintless

#1926 Post by saintless »

sunburnt wrote:I`ll work on detecting new menu files, and making new desktop files.
OK, Terry. It will be best to auto-convert and auto-copy missing desktop files from menu files while new package is installed.

fredx181

#1927 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Terry,
Testing your new mk-menu on again installing audacity gave the same result as before:
in /root/.jwm/jwm.main: (I think that's new config file now)

Code: Select all

<Program label="Audacity" icon="audacity">audacity</Program>
Trying out your later posted "mk-jwm.main" and putting it in /opt/bin created a mess for me, don't know why.
No panel, theme changed, etc..
Maybe I did something wrong...

Fred

mcewanw

#1928 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote:William, here's a new 021-apps-porteus.xzm updated for JWM.
Just replace with this one in the 'base' folder.
changes=EXIT:/ and choice to save or not should work then.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing
Very good Fred. Save or not save choice is working great now. Helps keep the changes persistence directory nice and clean.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#1929 Post by mcewanw »

Toni, I'm still trying to find the best way to make sure the background is Stretched at boot time. The Apply button in Terry's Wallpaper gui program doesn't seem to work. At the moment I am having to manually edit ~/.wallpapers/wallpapers.lst, changing Scale to Stretch. I presume that will only work if ~/.desktop.conf is set to Run=on (manually or via Terry's wallpaper gui)?

The second thing I'm having trouble with concerned with this is: assuming Run=off for wallpapers, where does the initial background come from so that I can Stretch that too?

EDIT: the initial background does stay Stretched on reboot even with Run=off, so I guess I've partly answered my second question - the initial background somehow also checks first item in ~/.wallpapers/wallpapers.lst
github mcewanw

fredx181

#1930 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William
Very good Fred. Save or not save choice is working great now. Helps keep the changes persistence directory nice and clean.
Great!
I'd like to mention,in case you don't know, that a savefile on NTFS works with porteus boot-method.(but indeed not with a directory)
Fred

saintless

#1931 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.
I will change all to strech for the next version. it does not make any change on my hardware anyway if it is stretch or scale. I see stretch does not work from GUI.

AFAIK Terry made the default wallpaper to be the first wallpaper from $home/.wallpapers/wallpapers.list

Toni

mcewanw

#1932 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: I'd like to mention,in case you don't know, that a savefile on NTFS works with porteus boot-method.(but indeed not with a directory)
Fred
Oh, that's interesting. Very important for some users I think. Any idea what the difference is that allows it to work?
github mcewanw

saintless

#1933 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:

Code: Select all

<Program label="Audacity" icon="audacity">audacity</Program>
Hi, Fred.
This is really strange because I get icon for audacious (installed with apt-get) without changing anything.

Terry, I do not use any of the files from here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=1890
They break the menu changing as also Fred reported.
If I use only your last mk-jwm.main it works fine.
Do we have to use also the files from page 127 here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=1890
If we do i need to adopt the menu change puppy - debian to this files.

Toni

Edit: Sorry, Fred. My mistake. I have audacious installed instead audacity. You are right about audacity missing menu icon but it is fixed in the latest mk-jwm.main from Terry. See my next post.
Last edited by saintless on Fri 21 Mar 2014, 20:23, edited 3 times in total.

mcewanw

#1934 Post by mcewanw »

Just a small suggestion for DebianDog beta iso release. I think it would be good to have http://murga-linux.com/puppy in Dillo bookmarks. Dillo bookmarks are weird to set up (!), for from intuitive for users so I think it would be good to set up one or two for them so at least it is clear that it works (it does).
github mcewanw

saintless

#1935 Post by saintless »

Fred, about audacity:
Use fresh 01-v7.squashfs and after installing audacity copy over this mk-jwm.main on top of the previous one. Do nothing else.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=75682
Terry did a good job. You will see audacity icon in menu-puppy.

Toni

fredx181

#1936 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni :)
Use fresh 01-v7.squashfs and after installing audacity copy over this mk-jwm.main on top of the previous one. Do nothing else.
Ah, now I see what I did wrong.
And it's indeed working fine now, thanks.

Thanks Terry, mk-menu should be OK now!

EDIT: Again, why are the custom categories on top of menu missing?

Fred

saintless

#1937 Post by saintless »

Hi, Terry and all interested:

Softmaker-FreeOffice sfs 59Mb uploaded here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... e.squashfs
It is full uncut version with all languages and help files included.
You need to make free registration and get password to activate it. You will also recieve download link for debian package if you prefer to install it:
http://www.freeoffice.com/en/freeofficedownload-linux
There is a script /opt/bin/051-update-dpkg-smo to update dpkg database instead installing deb package.
Load the sfs module with SFS-loader or place it in /live and reboot.
Run update menus and jwm -restart to make menu entry to appear.
If we keep only english language it will become much smaller module but I think it is better to have it uncut as separate sfs.
Works fast on low-ram machine.

Toni

saintless

#1938 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:EDIT: Again, why are the custom categories on top of menu missing?
I think Terry will add them in jwm-head but I don't know how will he name the categories. We already have System and utilities root menu.
I still think it is better to create desktop files for them like in debian-menu.

Toni

mcewanw

#1939 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote: Yes, now we have NTP installed to synchronize date and time. Use Administartion -> TimeZone to setup your time zone and it will correct the time.
Just a reminder note, though I expect you know this Toni: TimeZone command is only appearing in debian menu, not in jwm puppy menu. I also needed to run that to setup my timezone to get correct time display.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#1940 Post by mcewanw »

I just installed iceweasel in latest DebianDog using apt-get. I note that it doesn't appear in jwm puppy menu and making it default browser. What is the current recommended procedure for fixing that until Terry's menu builder is finished?
github mcewanw