How do I use offline man pages?

Booting, installing, newbie
cubecheat

How do I use offline man pages?

#1 Post by cubecheat »

I know I can download man pages(man-pages-3.41 or whatever) via the PPM, but I have no idea where to begin in terms of getting bash to stop redirecting me to webpages, and instead show me an offline man page.

Has anyone tried to do this before? Any advice, hints or solutions would be greatly appreciated. I'm running in Slacko 5.6,

EDIT: Simply installing groff-1.22.2 and man-1.6g from the packages section on slackware.com has gotten the man command working. Working on getting it to load actual man pages... -_-

EDIT2: My temporary solution is to use Lynx to browse the html version of man pages available here: http://manpages.courier-mta.org/
It's not pretty, but it works... slowly, due to lack of a search function, but it's only 2 MB, and better than having nothing(except for --help) when I'm without internet.
Last edited by cubecheat on Wed 19 Mar 2014, 01:35, edited 2 times in total.

SFR

#2 Post by SFR »

The real, full 'man' isn't included in Puppy, but you can try a simplified version from busybox:

Code: Select all

# busybox man
BusyBox v1.21.0 (2013-02-18 15:57:06 WST) multi-call binary.

Usage: man [-aw] [MANPAGE]...

Format and display manual page

-a	Display all pages
	-w	Show page locations

# 
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

This is part of the problem.

Puppy leaves the normal man pages out of the distribution to save space, and replaces them with pointers to a web based man page set. It assumes you will always have a live internet connection and can simply pop out to the web to check things.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)