What is the memory usage icon telling me? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
ice-puppy

What is the memory usage icon telling me? (Solved)

#1 Post by ice-puppy »

hi everyone,

I've got some questions about the memory icon. Where can I find info about it's functionality. I think it's called the freememoryapplet.

My puppy is slacko 5.6.

Here are a couple of my questions:
- why is the color of the memory colored red (are there other colors?)
- why is there a white line across the middle.
- does the top of the box mean the limit of the memory
- if I click on it, nothing happens, no tooltip, nothing

thx

perdido

#2 Post by perdido »

Tote

#3 Post by Tote »

I think ice-puppy must be talking about the free space icon. If it's red it usually means your save file is full. If I hover the cursor over mine it tells me how much room I have for personal storage and how much free space. If I click it I get a little pop-up graphic that tells me the same thing.

My icon consists of four horizontal green bars, as my save file fills up they turn dark by turn. I haven't had one turn red for a long time.

Some save file icons fill top to bottom but I've seen others do it the other way.

The easiest way to avoid it filling up, (meaning you're out of room to save anything else), is to open a directory in the partition where your puppy files are stored and save everything there.

Also, on your Menu on your Desktop, in Utility, you should find the option 'resize your personal save file', you can use that to give yourself more room.

Good luck with it. :)

ice-puppy

#4 Post by ice-puppy »

thx tote, but perdido was right.

The thread you mentioned answers my questions :-)