LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Terry H

Intel 4965AGN Wifi card not working on LXPup 14.03

#201 Post by Terry H »

Just trying LXPup 14.03 on my Laptop with Intel 4965 AGN Card. My wifi card was not working, It was working correctly on LXPup 13.11.

I have fixed it on my frugal instal, by following a fix which was posted for this wifi card in pemasu's DPup Wheezy thread.

I created a folder 'iwlegacy' within the lib/firmware folder. I then copied the firmware file 'iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode' from a LXPup 13.11 instal. Rebooted LXPup 14.03 and then placed it in the folder I created. Rebooted again LXPup 14.03. Wifi is now working.

All looks good so far.

peebee

Re: Intel 4965AGN Wifi card not working on LXPup 14.03

#202 Post by peebee »

Terry H wrote:Just trying LXPup 14.03 on my Laptop with Intel 4965 AGN Card. My wifi card was not working, It was working correctly on LXPup 13.11.

I have fixed it on my frugal instal, by following a fix which was posted for this wifi card in pemasu's DPup Wheezy thread.

I created a folder 'iwlegacy' within the lib/firmware folder. I then copied the firmware file 'iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode' from a LXPup 13.11 instal. Rebooted LXPup 14.03 and then placed it in the folder I created. Rebooted again LXPup 14.03. Wifi is now working.

All looks good so far.
Hi Terry - thanks for testing

Could you check if you have the same problem with plain Slacko5.7Beta (Slacko5.6.5.6) and if you do report it over on
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 797#739797?

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

Re: Intel 4965AGN Wifi card not working on LXPup 14.03

#203 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
Terry H wrote:Just trying LXPup 14.03 on my Laptop with Intel 4965 AGN Card. My wifi card was not working, It was working correctly on LXPup 13.11.

All looks good so far.
Hi Terry - thanks for testing

Could you check if you have the same problem with plain Slacko5.7Beta (Slacko5.6.5.6) and if you do report it over on
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 797#739797?

Cheers
peebee
I haven't yet run 14.03 on my iwlwifi laptop. I will. Oops. The firmware for that iwlwifi card seems to be in the all-firmware bucket but it isn't being recognized and unpacked to firmware on boot. It should be fixed and doesn't show up on my ipw2200 like http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 832#747949 but just on a flyer, try pulling the ucode in /lib/firmware, blacklisting wl and rebooting? Again, I'll fire up my iwlwifi lappie (5300 chip) and see.

Edit: Disregard the wl stuff above. That fix is fine. Basically the iwlwifi is working fine on the i5300 laptop...with one caveat.
@Terry H,
Were you running as a pristine boot or as a savefile update? I was able to get an iwlwifi fail when updating from a savefile IF it was previously run on an iwlwifi machine AND the ucode is not in /lib/firmware on the savefile. It occurs because the file /etc/modules/firmware.dep.inst.3.4.78 is not deleted or cleared on shutdown and if iwlwifi is in there, frontend will not move the code from all-firmware to firmware at boot. Either deleting this file at shutdown or clearing the iwlwifi line prior to shutdown cleared the error. The file is created correctly at boot if it does not exist.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Terry H

#204 Post by Terry H »

@Marv - It was a clean initial instal run with no save file.

@peebee - I probably should have done a test against slacko directly. I only thought of it after I had logged out and gone to bed last night. I assume the issue is upstream.

I saw that there is a new RC release of slack out now, so I downloaded slacko-5.6.8.0 and tested against that. The same issue occurs. I have run pdiag on the clean instal and will post in the slacko thread.

Marv

#205 Post by Marv »

Terry H wrote:@Marv - It was a clean initial instal run with no save file.

@peebee - I probably should have done a test against slacko directly. I only thought of it after I had logged out and gone to bed last night. I assume the issue is upstream.

I saw that there is a new RC release of slack out now, so I downloaded slacko-5.6.8.0 and tested against that. The same issue occurs. I have run pdiag on the clean instal and will post in the slacko thread.
@Terry H-My current best guess is here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 434#763434 I can't test it as I have an i5300 chip.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#206 Post by peebee »

01micko has announced Slacko5.7(RC) ( aka Slacko5.6.8 ) with k3.4.82 for its non-pae 4g version

LxPup14.03 has been updated to the new base:
LxPup-14.03-s57-4g-080314.iso

No other significant changes.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#207 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:01micko has announced Slacko5.7(RC) ( aka Slacko5.6.8 ) with k3.4.82 for its non-pae 4g version

Cheers
peebee
Downloaded and run in CF card based Grub4Dos frugal install on 1.6GHz Pentium M ipw2200 laptop. Existing savefile used with no issues or changes at all noted. Wireless connection on the ipw2200 using Frisbee and a 5 sec dropwait continues to be solid.

One question. Is there an easy way to restart just the lxpanelx? I'm puzzling over the panel background sometimes not being transparent but being the blue of the default wallpaper when using custom wallpapers on the slower laptops. I think Volhaut saw this also. It always is ok on the core 2 duo laptop. I've fiddled timing here and there but haven't hit on any sure-fire solution yet. As an aside, if I hide the default Lxpup wallpaper in /usr/share/backgrounds this doesn't occur and on shutdown if this is not done I see the default wallpaper flash on the way to shutdown.

peebee

#208 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:
peebee wrote:01micko has announced Slacko5.7(RC) ( aka Slacko5.6.8 ) with k3.4.82 for its non-pae 4g version

Cheers
peebee
Downloaded and run in CF card based Grub4Dos frugal install on 1.6GHz Pentium M ipw2200 laptop. Existing savefile used with no issues or changes at all noted. Wireless connection on the ipw2200 using Frisbee and a 5 sec dropwait continues to be solid.

One question. Is there an easy way to restart just the lxpanelx? I'm puzzling over the panel background sometimes not being transparent but being the blue of the default wallpaper when using custom wallpapers on the slower laptops. I think Volhaut saw this also. It always is ok on the core 2 duo laptop. I've fiddled timing here and there but haven't hit on any sure-fire solution yet. As an aside, if I hide the default Lxpup wallpaper in /usr/share/backgrounds this doesn't occur and on shutdown if this is not done I see the default wallpaper flash on the way to shutdown.
Hi Marv

Does this happen with a clean boot with a pristine savefile??

There were some changes to pinboard and background handling when PcManFM1.2 appeared.

Otherwise - lxpanelctl restart - should restart the panel.

Cheers
peebee

p.s. Slacko 5.7 has been released - just uploaded the 14.03 releases.

Marv

#209 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
Marv wrote:

Cheers
peebee

Hi Marv

Does this happen with a clean boot with a pristine savefile??

There were some changes to pinboard and background handling when PcManFM1.2 appeared.

Otherwise - lxpanelctl restart - should restart the panel.

Cheers
peebee

p.s. Slacko 5.7 has been released - just uploaded the 14.03 releases.
Checked with LxPup-14.03-s57-4g-080314 and pristine savefile on the Pentium M laptop. Initial boot, change wallpaper, reboot no problem. Using standard GUIs, delete a couple of items from the systray. No Problem. Connect to internet and fill panel launcher with 8 items as shown in screenshot. "Blue panel" appears on wmrestart and Lxpup wallpaper flashes on shutdown. See first screenshot.Hide Lxpup wallpaper (Vladstudio...) in /usr/share/backgrounds. NO OTHER CHANGES. Wmrestart. Problem gone, see next screenshot. Totally reproducible behavior, same as with my savefile, and as I said never seen on the faster laptop. I've hidden the Vlad wallpaper and am running LxPup-14.03-s57-4g-080314.iso perfectly. After the 'hiding', I also pulled the 5 second sleep in z-lxde-startup.sh. Panel still loads perfectly on the Pentium M.

as77

Mobile broadband works nicely

#210 Post by as77 »

Thus far the easiest 3G modem setup in all the live-cd Puppies I tried, thanks!

(And thanks also for including year and month in the filename)

Terry H

#211 Post by Terry H »

Cheers
peebee
Updated my LXPup to the latest base. New frugal instal, without existing savefile. All good. The Intel 4965 Wifi working,

Great work. Thank you.

cicerosc

Crossover

#212 Post by cicerosc »

I am having trouble installing Crossover. I searched and found a post that said that integer.pm needed to be installed, and I did that using the pet that was supplied here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 26f0cde754

I searched the pearl directory and it does appear to be there, but I keep getting this error. Can you help me figure out what is wrong? I REALLY like this LXDE Pup! THANKS!!

Can't locate integer.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /opt/cxoffice/lib/perl /usr/local/lib/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /opt/cxoffice/lib/perl/CXUtils.pm line 141.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/cxoffice/lib/perl/CXUtils.pm line 141.
Compilation failed in require at /opt/cxoffice/lib/cxupgrade line 86.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/cxoffice/lib/cxupgrade line 86.

peebee

Re: Crossover

#213 Post by peebee »

cicerosc wrote:I searched the pearl directory and it does appear to be there, but I keep getting this error. Can you help me figure out what is wrong? I REALLY like this LXDE Pup! THANKS!!
Hello

First thought is - do you have the devx installed?

If you are using the Slacko flavour of LxPup then see below.

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sat 15 Mar 2014, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

cicerosc

#214 Post by cicerosc »

Thank you for replying so quickly! No, I never installed devx, so that is no doubt my problem. I am looking in the SFS manager though and do not see that listed. I am hit and miss with linux - is devx an alternate name for one of the other packages listed there?

peebee

#215 Post by peebee »

cicerosc wrote:Thank you for replying so quickly! No, I never installed devx, so that is no doubt my problem. I am looking in the SFS manager though and do not see that listed. I am hit and miss with linux - is devx an alternate name for one of the other packages listed there?
Hi

At work at the moment so not sitting in front of Puppy....

Which flavour of LxPup are you running??

You can download the devx directly for the Slacko5.7 flavours from:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... lacko-5.7/

you need to know whether you are running the pae or non-pae version.

cicerosc

#216 Post by cicerosc »

Thanks again! I downloaded from there - thanks. It looks like I have shot myself in the foot by running an install and installing to a full partition. Now it looks like I am not able to use any SFS files at all as I am getting an error even trying to load the Audacious SFS. I can't remember the exact error message but it said something about support being experimental and then failed. I guess I will pull the plug on playing and use the system as is. Thanks for your answers so far! ---- EDIT WELL DUH I USED THE BOOTMANAGER to tell the SFS files to load at boot and it appears I am golden on Crossover. THANKS!!!!

EDIT 2 : Well I spoke too soon. Now I am getting "You seem to be missing the GTK+ Python modules.If this is the case you may try running one of the following commands as root:

Debian / Ubuntu: apt-get install python-gtk2
Fedora: yum install pygtk2
Mandriva: urpmi pygtk2.0
SUSE: zypper install python-gtk

Of course when I look in the package manager, it seems to say that python is already installed -- looking further..... but unable to get past this error. Oh Well....

peebee

devx

#217 Post by peebee »

The Sfs Manager logic means that the devx is not offered if the distro name and version have been changed (as is the case for LxPup).

Therefore for LxPup, the devx has to be located and directly downloaded if required. I'll put links into the 1st post.

cicerosc

#218 Post by cicerosc »

Before I give up completely on running Crossover in LXPup, I started a tread over here in general to discuss running Crossover. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 349#765349

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=92650

The first suggestion (probably unhelpful) ;-) was that if I were running Precise puppy I could install http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/python-gtk2

I don't suppose there is an equivalent accessible in LXPUP? :-) No problem if not; I don't want to lead off on a wild goose chase! Really at this point just noting the problem in the event that something comes up that would deal with this python issue (or it could purely be limited to Crossover)

The main reason I find Crossover useful is in its archiving system, which makes it easier to set up a bottle on one machine and then move it to other machines.
Last edited by cicerosc on Sun 16 Mar 2014, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#219 Post by peebee »

cicerosc wrote:Before I give up completely on running Crossover in LXPup, I started a tread over here in general to discuss running Crossover. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 349#765349

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=92650

The first suggestion (probably unhelpful) ;-) was that if I were running Precise puppy I could install http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/python-gtk2

I don't suppose there is an equivalent accessible in LXPUP? :-) No problem if not; I don't want to lead off on a wild goose chase! Really at this point just noting the problem in the event that something comes up that would deal with this python issue (or it could purely be limited to Crossover)

The main reason I find Crossover useful is in its archiving system, which makes it easier to set up a bottle on one machine and then move it to other machines.
Searching for python in PPM shows pygtk-2.24.0 from the slackware14.0 repository however it has further missing dependencies.....pycairo and pygobject

You might want to try CompizPup which is a derivative of LxPup and from memory has much of this python stuff built-in as its needed for the Compiz Configuration Manager....however I am planning soon to update CompizPup.....

cicerosc

#220 Post by cicerosc »

Ha! Had not heard of Compizpup! Will check that out as a test, and then I will wait for the update! thanks! UPDATE: Well my old computer does not like Compiz ;-( Apparently time for me to drink some wine until you add something to the main LXPup that requires more python support!

HMMM - I had not noticed that you had a 14.02 version based on Precise. I will try that and see if I can access that python package he referred me to...

Edit - you know Linux would be no fun if everything worked, would it? The Precise version won't recognize the modem that the slacko version recognizes without a hitch - ARGH!

UPDATE EDIT - using the precise version of the lxpup iso, and downloading a package I think was called bpython-gtk i have successfully got crossover running. Still not sure I like this as much as the slacko version, but maybe I'll get used to it. but thanks for the help!