Pcdripper (PBcdripper) - version 2.9 posted

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
plinej

#61 Post by plinej »

yeah a tar.gz or a zip file is fine. The picture looks like the mp3 gets encoded.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#62 Post by Flash »

It looks like the mp3 files were created, they just weren't put in /tmp/<name of book> where I thought I told PBcdripper to put them.

I tried to rip/convert just one track as before and it didn't work. I noticed an error message at the very end of the orange screen, something like "wav file doesn't exist," but it went too fast. I'll try to stop the screen and get a screenshot next time.
Attachments
PBcdripper1.4_test_3.jpg
(27.33 KiB) Downloaded 865 times
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

plinej

#63 Post by plinej »

Flash, you didn't happen to put spaces in the name of your save directory (name of book) did you? Try to just use hyphens or underscores instead of spaces if that's the case. Same thing goes for the preceding track name.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#64 Post by Flash »

Yep, I did use spaces. :oops: I guess I should RTFM, huh? :lol: Actually I did read it and I think now I remember something about not using spaces. I thought you did something about that later on. Maybe that was in another thread. At least now I know where it puts the mp3 files if I use spaces: in /usr/local/PBcdripper.

Anyway, PBcdripper rips and encodes perfectly -- if you don't use spaces. :lol: It took just under 6 minutes to rip a whole CD containing 95 very short tracks, and encode them to 32 kb/s, with the settings as in the last screenshot. It even adds the mp3 tracks from the next CD into the same directory as the first CD, in the right order. I haven't tried the result in my mp3 player yet, but it looks real good for that.

Thanks, plinej, for this very useful program. :D

P.S. Could you make it pop out the CD tray and go "ding" when it's finished? :mrgreen:

plinej

#65 Post by plinej »

The spaces issue I fixed on PBrename, I'll have to double quote all variables and use while loops instead of for loops to see if I can fix the spaces issue with this too. I'll work on it later tonight or tomorrow if I get a chance. As for the ding and ejecting the cd, I'll think about it.

MU

#66 Post by MU »

madplay "finished.mp3"
eject

Mark

plinej

#67 Post by plinej »

Thanks Mark, I should have some time Wednesday afternoon to mess with it.

plinej

#68 Post by plinej »

I've tweaked my scripts again and am testing everything out now. There's a new checkbox at the top labeled "eject". If you check it, when everything is done you'll hear the 2 barks sound and the cd will eject. I also double quoted my variables and changed my for loops to while loops so the scripts can deal with spaces. I have it fixed so you can rip to a directory with spaces in the name. As for putting spaces in your "enter preceding name for tracks" blank, lame seems to choke on that still so I added a sed command t o convert your spaces in your chosen name to underscores.

I'll post 1.5 after I do some more testing. I want to make sure everything works like I expect it to since I changed alot.

plinej

#69 Post by plinej »

Okay, I stepped thru everything I can think of and it seemed to work as expected so 1.5 is now posted. Please let me know if there are any problems.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#70 Post by Flash »

Thanks, plinej. I should be able to give it a test today. I burned a new multisession Puppy DVD. I plan to use it solely for converting and saving books. After PBcdripper converts a book to mp3, TkDVD with save it on the DVD as a session. When the DVD is mounted, each book will appear in the contents as a separate session. After I'm sure everything works, I'll use a LightScribe DVD so that when the DVD is full I can burn a list of its contents on its top. I hope. If UDF can be made to work well in Puppy, it will make saving and working with the saved books even easier.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#71 Post by Flash »

PBcdripper1.5 works to perfection. Nice job, plinej! Puppy barks and the tray pops out when its done ripping and converting. The barks are a nice touch. :D

I ripped and converted all 7 CDs of the same book I experimented with yesterday, with spaces in the name of the destination directory but none in the 'preceding name' for the tracks. The first CD I ripped took about 16 minutes, with the paranoia boxes unchecked. For the second CD I checked only the "disable paranoia" box, and it took about 18 minutes to rip and convert. For the third CD I checked only the "disable extra paranoia" box and it took just under 6 minutes. For the fourth CD I checked both boxes and it took the same, just under 6 minutes. The whole book lasts 8 hours so I have only had time to listen to a few tracks, but they seem to be fine. These were brand new CDs so there wouldn't have been many read errors. I'll run the same series of tests with scratched ones soon, and post the results.

The help window is quite good. It could perhaps include a bit more explanation of what paranoia and extra paranoia actually do, if it wouldn't require too much technical talk.

Thanks again, plinej.

plinej

#72 Post by plinej »

Good to hear everything worked out okay. I'll try and update the help section when I get a chance. I'll give it a few days and make sure there aren't any problems and I'll update.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#73 Post by Flash »

Somewhat to my surprise, ripping a scratched CD with both paranoia and extra paranoia turned off (the boxes checked) takes much longer than ripping a new CD. I had assumed that with the boxes checked, read errors would simply be ignored up to the point where the disk was garbled, as RealPlayer's ripper seems to do, but PBcdripper's ripping program keeps trying until it gets them right. I like that a lot. :D Evidently, paranoia and extra paranoia do not have to do with correcting the type of errors caused by scratches.

plinej

#74 Post by plinej »

The web page at http://www.phy.uni-bayreuth.de/info-cor ... npage.html

shows the following information:

-X --disable-scratch-detection
Neither look for scratches nor perform scratch-tolerant
synchronization during verification. With -X specified,
a scratched disc will cause cdparanoia to abort its
read.

-W --disable-scratch-repair
Detect and hold sync across scratches, but do not
attempt any repair of damaged data. If an info file is
in use (-i) log the frame positions of all scratches.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

cdparanoia -h doesn't show the -W option. Maybe it won't work on our version of cdparanoia? The -X option is already in place if you select the exit on bad read option in PBcdripper.

Try the following at the command line with your scratched disc and see what the results are: (make sure you change into the directory you want your ripped wav files to be)

cdparanoia -B -W -Y -Z -d /dev/cdrom

This will disable paranoia and extra paranoia as well as possibly disabling scratch repair.

plinej

#75 Post by plinej »

Nevermind, after doing some more searching it seems the -W option is for an older version of cdparanoia and no longer exists.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#76 Post by Flash »

A few pops or even an occasional lost word don't detract too much from listening to a book. For ripping books, I'd rather the program simply accepted the occasional read error in a way that doesn't confuse the mp3 conversion program, if that would greatly speed up ripping. However, I'm happy with PBcdripper the way it is.

Nathan F

#77 Post by Nathan F »

Hey, this is nice and pretty close to what I've been looking for. One ting though, can we have an option to rip to ogg? I rarely use mp3.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#78 Post by plinej »

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that but since puppy doesn't come with oggenc as default I was hesitant but I think I'll add a rip to ogg and a rip to flac gui. I'll probably have to change a couple of things around like make a button for encode and then a second gui for mp3, ogg, or flac options. I never encode to ogg but am assuming all you need is oggenc right? I'll probably start working on it this week sometime.

Dougal

#79 Post by Dougal »

Nathan F wrote:Hey, this is nice and pretty close to what I've been looking for. One ting though, can we have an option to rip to ogg? I rarely use mp3.
Yes, ogg is definitely important to have. But won't it require the vorbis-tools package? (BTW, I think vorbis-tools should come with Puppy!)
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

plinej

#80 Post by plinej »

I'm not sure, I'll have to start up a fresh copy of 2.13 and see what we need to encode to ogg. I know sox can encode to ogg but will only encode at 128 Kbps and won't let you choose any other setting. I think we could re-compile ffmpeg with ogg support. I'm pretty sure it's supported now.
Last edited by plinej on Tue 02 Jan 2007, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.