How do I access and open/apply a linux download?

Booting, installing, newbie
broughie

#1 Post by broughie »

I am an absolute beginner with a windows xp pc and a newly created lucid puppy linux multisession live dvd, saves being to the dvd which running fine.
Having set up live dvd with firewall , firefox and etc from the dvd menus I attempted to download the linux anti logger shield program and saved it to " file system" (as thought it might be easier than accessing from "root") . I know its a very basic question but how do I access and install it so it appears on dvd menus ? I was also interested in ClamAv so presume this might be a similar solution? Help will be appreciated.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

We have a link?

broughie

#3 Post by broughie »

thanks but where is the link please. Have tried every possible permutation of my question in the search box without success including naming the antilogger application ?

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

That was a question asking YOU where this so-called program can be found.

Are you having a problem with XP, or looking to include such an app w/Pup?

broughie

#5 Post by broughie »

the link is http://linux.software.informer.com/down ... keylogger/
As stated I downloaded it to Puppy linux dvd , then chose save to "file system " rather than "root". Problem is how to access and install it on the Puppy desktop or menu.
In Windows this is a simple operation but know nothing about Linux. thanks

broughie

#6 Post by broughie »

exact link for appn download is
http://anti-keylogger-shield.software.informer.com/ thanks

OscarTalks

#7 Post by OscarTalks »

Well I tried to take a look and although the first page talks about linux anti-keyloggers the download link seems to download a .exe installer which is for Windows and you can not install that in Linux directly. Keyloggers and other malware are much, much less of a risk in Puppy than they are in Windows and most users would consider them unnecessary. Generally for downloading and installing packages you should look for stuff that is designed for Puppy (in PPM or here on the forum). Second best would be packages that are designed for Linux variants such as Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (for Lucid Puppy). These will usually be .deb packages (32 bit or i386) which you can just click on to install after downloading although sometimes they work straight away and sometimes you need to do a bit of fiddling to get them going.
Oscar in England

broughie

#8 Post by broughie »

thanks for clear and detailed answer Oscar .I will look further as per suggestions