math-slacko.sfs

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
emil

math-slacko.sfs

#1 Post by emil »

DOWNLOAD math-slacko.sfs (75 MB)
md5sum.txt

I made an sfs containing Maxima, Octave and R and gnuplot.
Additional components are gcl, tcl and tk (version 8.5) and some gfortran libraries.

I made this in the new (as of Oct 2011) slacko RC, I don't know how well it works in other puppies
Edit: octave/gnuplot and R work in Lupu 511 , gcl and maxima won't.

8) emil

vanchutr

#2 Post by vanchutr »

Add libgmp.so.10 then math_slacko.sfs works well in puppy_squezee_5.X.8

Thank you emil

Can you add some (more) info about "how to use these apps"? (Some base instructions about gnuplot, maxima, ...)

emil

Usage

#3 Post by emil »

Octave Tutorial
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Octave_Pro ... g_Tutorial

gnuplot Tutorial
http://www.duke.edu/~hpgavin/gnuplot.html

Maxima Tutorial
http://maxima.sourceforge.net/docs/tuto ... ntents.htm

R Tutorial
http://www.r-tutor.com/

those are just examples, many more on the web!

I packaged those Programs because they are leading FOSS math software. Octave is close to MATLAB (industry standard), you can use also MATLAB programming examples. Maxima is the most complete FOSS Computer Algebra System. it is not *that* far behind Mathematica and Maple, the most prominent closed source multi billion systems. R has become the de-facto standard for statistical computing.

Scilab would be a nice complementation, because it has many useful toolboxes for special applications (e.g. signal processing).

All those programs are powerful tools and interpreters, but no casual toys. You need to work with them. Doing Calculus homework with them is possible, though it may seem overkill :wink:.

Have fun, Take care 8)
emil

vanchutr

#4 Post by vanchutr »

Thank you again, Emil

standarddeviant

#5 Post by standarddeviant »

FYI, I was able to get the signal package up and running in octave using math-slacko.sfs and devx_slacko_5.3.sfs.

Some 'older' packages are required to work with the octave version in math-slacko.sfs. They are listed below and can be downloaded at http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/ ... 0Releases/

The order I used was
miscellaneous
struct
optim
specfun
signal

I did get some warnings, but no errors. Seems promising.

octave:30> ver
----------------------------------------------------------------------
GNU Octave Version 3.2.3
GNU Octave License: GNU General Public License
Operating System: Linux 2.6.37.6 #1 SMP Sun Jul 10 08:27:28 EST 2011 i686
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Package Name | Version | Installation directory
---------------+---------+-----------------------
miscellaneous *| 1.0.10 | /usr/local/share/octave/packages/miscellaneous-1.0.10
optim *| 1.0.15 | /usr/local/share/octave/packages/optim-1.0.15
signal *| 1.0.11 | /usr/local/share/octave/packages/signal-1.0.11
specfun *| 1.0.9 | /usr/local/share/octave/packages/specfun-1.0.9
struct *| 1.0.9 | /usr/local/share/octave/packages/struct-1.0.9[/url]

emil

#6 Post by emil »

Congratulations!
I know that the toolbox is installed from inside octave. Iit would be useful to create pet packages of some of the more important toolboxes. To track the installation and construct a package one could try to use a tool from 01mickos toolbox
http://users.tpg.com.au/01micko/01micko ... .html#Paco

Not nagging, maybe its possible :D
kind regards
emil

standarddeviant

#7 Post by standarddeviant »

hehe, no worries. I would definitely like to get individual octave packages set up as .pet files but wasn't sure how to do it. I've currently nuked the drive on my laptop, hehe. I think I'm going to work from an sdcard in the future for this, so I'm free to nuke the disk whenever I like but still come back to puppy :-)

I'll check out that package - thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: Just checked out paco, it definitely seems doable. The octave-packages should be able to be installed using

Code: Select all

> octave install-signal.m
where install-signal.m is just

pkg install signal-1.0.11.tar.gz
So that means I should be able to issue

> paco -l octavesignal-1.0.11 "octave install-signal.m"
And then hopefully gpaco will make it easy to "round up" the added files. With all the inter-dependent octave packages, it seems like it might just be best to find versions of all the octave-forge packages that work together (with 3.2.3) and make them in to a .sfs. Though I need to read up a bit more about .sfs files.

emil

#8 Post by emil »

I've currently nuked the drive on my laptop, hehe
:( Hope it wasn't because excessive compiling of octave forge

about the packages:
The creation of pet and sfs is similar. In the final step of package creation there is a directory tree (with name directory, its the content will be installed at /). If you create a pet package the command is dir2pet directory. If you create a sfs the command is dir2sfs directory.

The difference of the 2 types of packages is how they are handled by the "layered filesystem explanation here".
sfs files (in the squashed filesysten) are inserted at the lowest layer (still compressed). Pet packages are installed uncompressed in the savefile and thus inserted as 2nd top layer, directly beneath the ramdisk. So pet packages have a bit faster access, but need space in the savefile.

If you have conflicts (i.e. the same file in an sfs AND in a pet, the file in the pet will be visible, and the file in the sfs will be masked out).
As a rule of thumb, big packages should be packed as sfs, while small packages are fine as pets.

hope that helps some 8)
emil

standarddeviant

#9 Post by standarddeviant »

emil wrote:
I've currently nuked the drive on my laptop, hehe
:( Hope it wasn't because excessive compiling of octave forge
No, I was trying to be fancy and set up multiple partitions on a single ssd, and tried to set up grub on the MBR, and then nothing worked. It's no big deal as I should be back up and running w/ puppy as soon as I get a new sdcard :-)

vdhvu

R 3.0.3

#10 Post by vdhvu »

Dear Emil,

Did you make R_3.0.3.sfs?

emil

#11 Post by emil »

Dear vdhvu,
no, I am sorry. For which puppy variant?
If you want to have the latest R I suggest building from source on your system. R was always easy to build.

download latest R source, untargz it, cd in its directory, read README or similar and then:

./configure
make
new2dir make install
To build sfs:

cd ..
mksqhaushfs R-binary-directory
does this work?
cheers emil