Using multisession Puppy DVD in other computers

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
broughie

Using multisession Puppy DVD in other computers

#1 Post by broughie »

hello I have a puppy linux dvd which works fine on one of my xp pc's , I have saved the multisession to the dvd itself . extra items are only firewall , uk keyboard etc, firefox and few add ons , it works fast & I use it for banking.
I hoped that I could demo it to a few friends who are keeping xp like me but when i tried to boot it up on my other xp pc- pentium 4 2gb ram, as a trial , it wouldnt work properly ? advice would be appreciated thanks

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

it wouldnt work properly
This does not tell us anything useful. :shock:
Details of what you see are clues to what the problem is and possible cure.

The problem is the saves to the DVD contain specific hardware settings for the computer they were made on.
Those settings may or may not work on another computer.

At the Puppy boot screen
Hit F2
At the boot option screen
You can use boot option puppy pfix=ram
This makes Puppy boot without using any save files. Boots like it did initially.
That should let it boot on any computer.

Puppy versions are also designed to work better on specific types of hardware. The Puppy version you are using could be the problem.
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.6 tries to support a large selection of hardware.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

Yes as last person posted. It saves the hardware info from last machine and could get confused. But its hit and miss I have been lucky most of my homemade pcs work ok. But A family members Dell pc has so much non standard everything I have to boot the dvds with pfix=ram, nox to force the correct video drivers..
Have thought about starting a multisession dvd on Dell machine and see if it would be more universally configured. Save money use dvd rw. There has been a lot of misses in the late versions of puppylinux so save the pets and try a few different spins. For older hardware use 4.12 to 4.16 series puppylinux. That was the latest and greatest before wolf built system became common place and efforts where hand tuned to nearly perfection. The multisession idea has been unchanged since 2006 :shock:
Also avoid PAE kernel versions if you want more universal compatible ie wary versions of puppylinux for older hardware..

broughie

#4 Post by broughie »

thanks for responses, I am absolute beginner so info given very helpful, problem I had loading my multisession dvd on my 2nd xp pc was very dark screen graphics and no internet, so yes due as you say to different hardware configs. Using boot option puppy pfix=ram as suggested allowed normal basic live dvd view on 2nd pc without multisession saves ,so I now understand and have made couple of live cd 's without any saves which ive found to be interchangeable between my 3 pc's and therefore ideal for demo'ing to friends .thanks again

hamoudoudou

new comers to Puppy

#5 Post by hamoudoudou »

just a feed back a DVD-RW burnt 2011 on a DELL D505 cannot be played on new computers..
ONe thing new comers to Puppy must know is that Puppy Linux Loads all in RAM and that you can remove the CD.. Puppy to insert Madonna or Yvan RebroFF... Session is saved at the end.. Reinsert DVD RW Before !
Attachments
burning.jpg
Nero Linux in Bionic HU !
(58.14 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

Hello broughie.

Like bigpup and Ted Dog have mentioned, once a Puppy has saved your hardware
and network configurations (to DVD or pupsave), it is extremely likely it will only run
on that particular machine.

May I suggest that you burn another DVD with the original ISO for your friend,
and have him boot that pristine-Puppy DVD on his computer.

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)